1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. frankcor

frankcor Emperor

An AI will attack you when their diplomatic relationship goes negative enough. Sometimes that's -5, sometimes -7. So hover over their name in the score table and the relationship items will appear. That will give you a list of things that you can try. If the AI is happy with your past trades, then break some trades with him. Demand tribute. Trade wth his worst enemies. It's all listed there.

Of course, if your power exceeds that of the AI, they may never become furious enough to declare war on you.

2. royfurr

royfurr "Klotzen, nicht Kleckern"

Thanks for the input Keraunos. By "on this field" I presume you mean that tile?

Regarding "can't exclude" a civ ... BUMMER! I am just so sick of seeing the Egyptians and Persians, they have been in the last 4 games in a row. I know ITS RANDOM but come on, I want to be able to get some of the ones I have'nt seen yet! I don't want to go into world builder to see oponents as it reveals map details that I would rather discover in play. Reloading the start isn't an option IMO because you don't know whom it is out there until you've played a while. My games are very slow; I have only so long to play each day and session, I like to look everything over, make careful decisions, and consequentally it typically takes a long time per turn- getting to say 1000 BC takes me about a week or 1.5 wk. of RL time.

Drat not being able to exclude Civs you've seen too many times!

3. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Yeah, I know that all too well. I once desperately wanted Mansa Musa to declare war on me (only three civs left, and we both had a defensive pact with Frederick so I couldn't attack him and have Frederick on my side). I managed to get him to a total of -35 in diplomacy, mainly through -20 worth of failed spying attempts. Still he would not declare... ;)

4. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

You know, if you want you can always load up a game, go to the WorldBuilder, check what civs are present, then (if the civs are present as you want) regenerate the map. You'll get a completely new map, and won't know anything about the lay of the land, but all of the civs from the previous test game will be in there. :)

5. floppymoose

floppymoose Warlord

Forget WorldBuilder, just choose the "Custom Game" option at startup and you can pick your opponents.

6. S Baldrick

S Baldrick Chieftain

Hey nice thread.

I just had a quick newbie question about building roads and the connectivity of my cities.

1. I'm having trouble determining if my roads are connected and also, if the improved spaces (farms, cottages, etc) around my cities are considered roads

What I mean is let's say I want to run a road between two of my cities. Do I have to start the road mode from my city and run to my other city or can I start it at the farm that's next to my city and run it to the cottage that's next to my other city?

2. Another question I have is, early in one of my games I got a message that said my two cities were connected or something. I checked my trade route and indeed my 2nd city was getting +1 gold from my capital city, but there were no roads connecting them and their culture was not overlaping. The only thing I can think that it might have been was that they were both on the same river.

3. I'm getting +2 gold from a trade route called "Tiwaniku" in one city and "Cuzeo" in another city. Even though none of my city's are name either of these.

4. Finally, I improved some spaces that were 1 tile south and 4 tiles west from my city. They were within my cutlural influence shade thingie but when I went to the city screen for that city I couldn't put a circle around them they were almost off the screen. Is this normal?
    Anyway, any help is much apprecitaed.

7. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

The bolded part is correct. All city tiles count as "roaded" as soon as they are built (and they count as "railroaded" as well when you get the requisite technology). So you don't need to work city tiles. :)
    Yeah, it could be that they were on the same river. But I also think (not completely sure) that two cities become "connected" when their cultural borders overlap as well. I'll have to check up on that though.

8. grohyt

grohyt Chieftain

Hey.

Just a quick question.

say i have 3 civs who i can trade with.

how come i can i ask them to convert there religion to mine. But i can't offer to change my religion to theirs say for resources or gold.

It also seems the same for trading i can ask them to stop trading with say ghandi but i can't offer to stop any of my trades or to make peace with someone.

Is it actually possible to offer to change my religions, civics etc. instead of only asking them.

Cheers.

9. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

No. But that's a good idea you've got there. :)

10. Keraunos

Keraunos Chieftain

As Lord Parkin already answered 1, I'll start with clarification of 2
    2. You can connect cities in 3 ways: river, roads/railroads, coast/ocean (with appriopriate techs).

3. These are foreign cities - you can also benefit from foreign trade, as long as you don't have mercantilism civic. But remember, your neighbours benefit from this trade as well..

4. It also mus be in city radius. Below is a diagram that represent max city radius (x-workable tile, c-city)

-xxx-
    xxxxx
    xxcxx
    xxxxx
    -xxx-

Hope that helps ;)

11. du1387

du1387 Chieftain

This might have been asked already, but how do you insert a custom unit into the game?

12. grohyt

grohyt Chieftain

A few more Queries.

1. In a game to day i had about 7 citys, but seemed that for a couple of citys i would have ot keep re-doing the same structures such as walls or granarys even though they had been built earlier.

2. What does it mean when the circle next to your city is green.

Thanks

13. frankcor

frankcor Emperor

Grohyt, I have no clue why you'd have to rebuild buildings. That's not a normal part of the game.

When the circle next to your city is green, it means your city population is growing (surplus food). If it's white, it means your city is stagnant and when it's red, your city is starving and the population will shrink.

14. a4phantom

a4phantom Perma-newbie

Could also be that another city is using the square.

15. S Baldrick

S Baldrick Chieftain

Thanks for the answers.

Got another one questions...

Ok I'm trying to rush produce The Parthenon. It's been driving me CRAZY trying to get it done before the other guy. I've replayed the same 600 years 5 times now and have become completely addicted to getting this building! I've been able to come within 5 or 6 turns of getting it done before the other guy and I'm determined!

The city I'm buidling it in has access to among other smaller things things, 1 tile with 3 hammers and another with a big anvil. I'm also about to improve a tile that during one of the last turns gave me 3 hammers, although I think that might be random so I'm not sure if it'll happen again.

My current population in that city is 1 (2 circles). Basically I've been trying to decide if I should focus on food for a while so I can get a population that could take advantage of those few extra hammer tiles or just focus on hammers.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, what's quicker when it comes to production, focusing on hammers, or focusing on food for a bit to get your population up so you can have access to more tiles with hammers on them?

Thanks!

16. a4phantom

a4phantom Perma-newbie

It depends, RJ might be able to whip you up a mathematical formula, but probably you're just going to have to learn to guess. But in this case it's obvious - 1 is a newborn city, and you want bigger than that for building anything especially wonders. But you should do the growing before you get the tech that enables the wonder so you're ready to go when you do. Is this your capital?

How about using slavery to whip it finished when it says 7 turns to go? Also, chop down every forest near the city.

17. S Baldrick

S Baldrick Chieftain

ya I've been chopping down tree's in the area but there's only a few to chop down. I converted to slavery and have been using it with some success but it doesn't seem to be coming up for the Parth project. Keeps telling me I need more pop.

18. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

The best and easiest way to boost production of The Parthenon is to get access to Marble. Do whatever you can - found a new city, trade for it, declare war and steal it. That will speed up your production more than anything else you can do. ;)

As for the food/hammers dilemma though, it depends on the situation. For a short-term project, immediate hammers are good. For a longer-term project, a slight period of growth may be more beneficial before switching to the hammers.

19. S Baldrick

S Baldrick Chieftain

I checked nobody I'm connected to has any marble. Ah well I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I must have played those 600 years 20 times. Each time I found something I could tweak to better my chances. At the end I was probably about 5 turns away but I still didn't have enough population to whip.

It was just a dumb idea for me to sit there and play the thing over and over like that anyway. Dunno why I got so obsessed with it. I'm feeling a little burnt out, so I'm gonna take a break for a bit. Thanks for all the good advice, though : )

20. frankcor

frankcor Emperor

Yeah, but you did have fun doing it, right?