Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

1. No, I don't think so.
2. Unfortuntely not. At least, not without cheating. (Of course, you can always go into the WorldBuilder and remove the religion from the said city... but that's hardly any fun. ;) )

pixiejmcc said:
Collateral damage has changed in WL. Could someone explain exactly how? Where as before each collateral damage battle was carried out in a similar way to a normal battle now, the collateral damage inflicted is standard. E.g. With catapults... an axe will always receive 0.5 (10%/hp) damage. A knight always 0.7 (7hp).

So simply put the amount of damage received goes up as strength increases however the hp lost decreases. Not well explained but i think u will understand ;).

And whilst on the subject of catapults. If a spear attacks a stack of catapults and elephants, it will hit an elephant. If a spear attacks a stack of archers and catapults it will hit an archer. If a spear attacks a stack of catapults and warriors it hits a warrior. Is there any rule or pattern to these discrepancies? I understand they will be taken out next patch.

This is probably best answered by Guru Roland: I am really struggling with how site from coastal tiles works. I know that you can see one tile beyond a coastal tile. but it seems u can't see an ocean tile beyond a coastal tile. Is that correct?

Oh and I worked out exactly how the sentry promotion works. It is much like a city, it is as though there is a standard unit stading on each tile adjacent to the sentry unit. So, if the sentry unit stands on a flat tile in the middle of a ring of hills he will see a long way. :D

And finally, I asked earlier about slavery. What i really wanted to know was (and I didn't make this very clear) How does the number of turns having an unhappy face work? It seems to me that if you slave again before the 6 turns elapse you will have another unhappy face for 6 turns plus another 6 minus the number of turns since you last slaved.

For example if u slave on the very next turn, it will last for 6 + (6-1) = 11 turns.

Thank you all for your stream of knowledge in advance.

Bumpety bump

Is there a way to find out what tech an AI is researching? Or how far they are in researching it? I suppose that would be a state secret but it would be nice if AI's would take that into account when trading, for example when I'm 900 beakers away from a tech the AI would consider a tech worth 900 beakers to be a fair trade. And it would then undervalue techs it's close to developing as well.

If you send a spy into an AI city then the tech they are currently researching and the progress they have made on it so far are displayed at the top of the screen in the centre.

Sorry that I have to ask, but I tried finding a mod to make resource icons smaller from creation & customization area. Search didn't give any obvious answers, and I didn't find anything useful by manually going through the different sections. I saw some screens which had smaller icons, but.. well.

Could someone point me to right direction, please? :D

Hi. I play solely multi player. I only played a couple weeks of single player when i first got the game. I think I beat it on monarch, but then MP took over! I am thinking of getting back into SP and wouldn't mind eventually having a go at the GOTM competitions. I have been playing MP a long time and am pretty good and know the game well now. Any suggestions what level i should start on and what settings, for a fair enjoyable and challenging game? Many thanks.

Would be glad if someone could help me with these queries...
1)What is a time victory and how can i avoid it?
2)I have a query on the yield i get for a city.IVe listed the yield values below
My city has 2 civilians and this is the yield my sity gets from the tiles they work on
food = +2(surplus)
base production = +3
hammers left from previous production = +1
total no of hammars produced = 6(icluding +2 hammars for the food surplus)
(a)I only get the base production of +3 hammars but why does is say total no of hammars produced is +6?
(b)What happens to the hammars that are left from the previous production and the extra hammars i get for food surplus?

Lord Parkin said:
1. No, I don't think so.
2. Unfortuntely not. At least, not without cheating. (Of course, you can always go into the WorldBuilder and remove the religion from the said city... but that's hardly any fun. ;) )

Thanks for the help. :p

Anyway, I think I found a way to change it, though it's still only a theory. I went to the console and used Game.toggledebugmode, clicked on another civs city, and ended my turn in that city. It lagged REALLY badly, but the treasury and research panels changed to the civilization I wanted to change to. I even saw a diplomacy panel come up, but it tabbed to the desktop (because I thought it froze and hit CAD), and wouldn't come back up......

Anyway, thanks for the reply!

A quick question that I can't find the answer to anywhere else: In vanilla Civ4 with default options, does a civ get annihilated after you take its last city, even if it has a settler built and wandering elsewhere (and does it make a difference if it is in a galley)?

Lord Parkin said:
There's a "combat log" which functions in sort of the same way, if that's what you mean. The button is in the top-left corner of the screen in-game. :)

Thanks, but that's only half solution - you know losses on both sides, but where these fights were exactly fought.. And, most importantly, where these valuable transports/damaged units escaped (only important if you're fighting on enemy territory)

Questions:
1) Is it possible to destroy your own city? If so - how, as old trick with reducing it to zero by building settlers/workers won't help..

2) How to change standard game to include MP option "RandomSees", so I get another result in every combat, which brings me to..;)

3) How to defeat those f%#!%#!^#! Praetorians??? I tried Rhye's mod as Greece on Monarch - and the Romans are flooding me with them. I tried countering them with Axeman, but they have like 3 Praets for every 2 Axes of mine.. They also pillaged my infrastructure back to Stone Age. Ok, disregard this question, I'm simply angry :mad:

4) Any good, universal or easy solution to increase performance of Civ4? Some options turned on/off (and where to find them)?

drag said:
Would be glad if someone could help me with these queries...
2)I have a query on the yield i get for a city.IVe listed the yield values below
My city has 2 civilians and this is the yield my sity gets from the tiles they work on
food = +2(surplus)
base production = +3
(a)I only get the base production of +3 hammars but why does is say total no of hammars produced is +6?
(b)What happens to the hammars that are left from the previous production and the extra hammars i get for food surplus?

1) You cannot, AFAIK :( Time victory is reached only if there is no other victory. In 2050 AD game counts all civ's scores, highest one is the winner.

2a) Look at leader traits - most of them double production for some buildings. That's probably the case..

2b) Good question, no idea. Hope somebody answers it..;)

pixiejmcc said:
Hi. I play solely multi player. I only played a couple weeks of single player when i first got the game. I think I beat it on monarch, but then MP took over! I am thinking of getting back into SP and wouldn't mind eventually having a go at the GOTM competitions. I have been playing MP a long time and am pretty good and know the game well now. Any suggestions what level i should start on and what settings, for a fair enjoyable and challenging game? Many thanks.
Well, that's a question that's kind of difficult to answer, since everybody's got different tastes and has different skills. If you beat Monarch before going MP though, I'd suggest starting no lower than that - and perhaps at Emperor. Were your multiplayer games with AI as well as humans? Remember that when playing high difficulties with other humans, they get penalised as well, while when playing high difficulties with AI they get masses of bonuses. So don't get too carried away with upping the difficulty level too quickly, that's my advice. ;)
drag said:
Time victory: In 2050 AD, if nobody has won the game by any other method, the game will end and victory will be awarded to the player with the highest score. To avoid time victory, simply turn off the option in the "Custom Game" screen when you're setting up the game (you can only do this before you start, not once you're in the game).
drag said:
food = +2(surplus)
base production = +3
(a) Those are the 3 hammers per turn you usually get, plus 2 hammers from the excess food, plus 1 hammer from the excess hammer from the previous production (which I assume was a Worker or Settler). So the city screen will show "6 hammers per turn" in production for one turn, then next turn it will go back to "3 hammers per turn". Kind of silly IMHO, but I'm not the one who made the game. :crazyeye:
(b) They get added onto the item you next build, they're not lost. :)
IglooDude said:
A quick question that I can't find the answer to anywhere else: In vanilla Civ4 with default options, does a civ get annihilated after you take its last city, even if it has a settler built and wandering elsewhere (and does it make a difference if it is in a galley)?
Interesting question, I would presume the answer (like in Civ3) is "no" though. After all, at the start of the game civs are alive without any cities, and don't get destroyed if they don't found on the first turn, so one would presume that if all your cities are destroyed and you still have a settler, then you will still be alive. (Although, if all your cities are gone and you're down to a lone settler, you probably haven't got much of a chance anyway. ;) )

I already told you all I know some pages ago. ;)
Lord Parkin said:
indian, I'm not sure but I think you need to save your maps to several different places. My Documents/My Games/[Civilization IV]/Saves/Worldbuilder is one place I think, and then you also want to put it in the "PublicMaps" folder in that same area (My Documents/My Games/[Civilization IV]), and also the "Public Maps" folder inside Program Files/Firaxis Games/[Civilization IV]. I'm not sure exactly which of those three are necessary, so I just put my maps in all three folders. You should then be able to load them via "Load Scenario" inside Civilization IV. :)

QUOTE]A quick question that I can't find the answer to anywhere else: In vanilla Civ4 with default options, does a civ get annihilated after you take its last city, even if it has a settler built and wandering elsewhere (and does it make a difference if it is in a galley)?[/QUOTE]

I thought that it did get annihilated anyway, I've wiped civs out that had a settler kicking around and never found a small city appear. But you do have the option to turn on "require complete kills" in the custom game. That forces you to destroy every unit whether they have cities or not.

In the game im playing(settler,standard size map) AI keeps getting a time victory in around 3027 B.C...Why is that...Do i have to change my settings or something???....Even after ive customized my game(by deselcting the time victory option)AI still manages to get a time victory.....Thank you

3027 BC? I didn't even think that was a possible year in the game... and that sounds far too early, perhaps even buggy. :confused:

Are you sure you don't mean 3027 AD? If so, I've never played a game that far myself, so I wouldn't know...

Yeah im sure its 3027 B.C....is it a bug???..Not sure what to do cos my game gets over even before it starts

drag said:
In the game im playing(settler,standard size map) AI keeps getting a time victory in around 3027 B.C...Why is that...Do i have to change my settings or something???....Even after ive customized my game(by deselcting the time victory option)AI still manages to get a time victory.....Thank you
I may very eaisily be completely wrong, but I vaugly remember this was a bug with some No-CD crack. You should be quiet about that around here...

Top Bottom