Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I only play by myself on single player and I don't much about all the definitions of some of the wrods on this site.

Like what does AA SGL mean and what does CB mean?

It's often difficult to understand the meaning of acronyms without seeing them in context. SGL often means Scientific Great Leader. A list of acronyms can be found here, but I couldn't find AA and CB in the list.

I also think that some people on this forum use too many acronyms, I try to avoid that, especially in this thread.

By the way, welcome to Civfanatics! :band: :dance:

hey, you still havent answered my question. my question is, when i unzip a new leaderhead (like hitler) where do i unzip it to, and how do i play as him once i do

hey, you still havent answered my question. my question is, when i unzip a new leaderhead (like hitler) where do i unzip it to, and how do i play as him once i do

First of all, welcome to civfanatics! :band: :dance:

We're not experts on modding in this thread. Therefore, you were referred to the Creation and customization subforum by a4phantom. They know more about modding there than we do. It has a subforum with tutorials, references and guides and a number of stickied threads about how to mod.

My guess is that to add a leaderhead, the information in the downloaded files needs to be merged with similar files that are already contained in the game and contain the information about the original leaderheads. To have the new leader available in each game without irreversibly altering the original game, the game has a customassets directory which can be reached by going to the main civilization 4 folder (or the main civilization 4 warlords folder) and then clicking the link named _Civ4CustomAssets. The new merged files should be placed in a subdirectory of the customassets folder similar to the position where the original file of the game was located in a subdirectory of ...\Civilization 4\Assets

There must be far more knowledgable types in the creation and customization forum who know how the process is performed in detail.

I only play by myself on single player and I don't much about all the definitions of some of the wrods on this site.

Like what does AA SGL mean and what does CB mean?

It's often difficult to understand the meaning of acronyms without seeing them in context. SGL often means Scientific Great Leader. A list of acronyms can be found here, but I couldn't find AA and CB in the list.

I also think that some people on this forum use too many acronyms, I try to avoid that, especially in this thread.

By the way, welcome to Civfanatics! :band: :dance:

Hmm, I haven't come across those acronyms before (isn't AA = Alcoholics Anonymous?) :hmm:. There is a guide to the commonly-used ones on this site HERE. http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/reference/acronyms.php
Okay, so the SAME PAGE was linked to in these posts. Anyway, I'm guessing that AA=Anti-Aircraft (it does in basically every WWII game ever made) and I'm also guessing (but pretty sure) that CB=Culture Bomb (a.k.a. Great Artist creating great work (+4000 culture immediately) cauing a nearby city to renounce their origional country and jion your civ).

Okay, so the SAME PAGE was linked to in these posts. Anyway, I'm guessing that AA=Anti-Aircraft (it does in basically every WWII game ever made) and I'm also guessing (but pretty sure) that CB=Culture Bomb (a.k.a. Great Artist creating great work (+4000 culture immediately) cauing a nearby city to renounce their origional country and jion your civ).

I was also thinking about AA=anti aircraft, but then I would get AA SGL = Anti Aircraft Scientific Great Leader, which doesn't make sense. Maybe the original poster (Rundown) didn't mean that those acronyms were placed one after the other, but the way the question was asked does suggest this. Maybe, I'm wrong about SGL = scientific great leader.

It's remains hard to interprete acronyms without their context allthough your suggestions are very credible.

Is SGL a Civ III reference?
Yes, it is. There are no Great Leaders in Civ4 - they have been replaced (and improved upon greatly) by the Great People system. :)

I know this is a stupid question but getting a Great General doesn't raise the Great Person points threshold for Artists, Scientists, Prophets, etc. right?

Does anyone know how the AI decides which promotions to use? I see ridiculous ones like a spearman with City Raider I and Guerilla all the time.

I know this is a stupid question but getting a Great General doesn't raise the Great Person points threshold for Artists, Scientists, Prophets, etc. right?
no, you have a different counter (visible in the military advisor's screen)

Does anyone know how the AI decides which promotions to use? I see ridiculous ones like a spearman with City Raider I and Guerilla all the time.
I don't know, but it's very likely to change if Firaxis uses the new AI improvements implemented by Blake.
I suppose it's random, with a high favor for combat.
The problem with the promotions for the AI is that he doesn't have any intention, so promotions can not be consistent. Too bad for them.:lol:

On a side note, i have already used to good profit spearmen with CR (Romans had horses but no metals, so I had to defend my stacks with loads of spears, and I couldn't afford to build spears AND axes. So in the end, I built spears and gave most of them CR promotions :)), and guerilla for spears is a good one (defending your copper mine on a hill!).

I just got Civ IV. Can anyone recommend some threads and/or secession games to read/follow to help come to grips w/the differences in the game? Obviously, I'll start here.

Thanks in advance.

I just got Civ IV. Can anyone recommend some threads and/or secession games to read/follow to help come to grips w/the differences in the game? Obviously, I'll start here.

Thanks in advance.

If you run vanilla cIV, just read the war academy (little by little) and/or sisiutil's ALC (all leader challenge) serie.
The first ones are very detailled and instructive. The later ones are a bit harder, but if you start with this one, you will see by yourself if you like it or not before reading the other ones.

SHAMELESS PLUG WARNING:

@Tman65, feel free to check out any of the succession games in my signature. While the game play is not always sterling, I tend to gravitate towards humorous SG teams. You're sure to get some chuckles watching as we flirt with disasterous defeats.

no, you have a different counter (visible in the military advisor's screen)

Yup, knew that, just wanted to be sure standard GP production threshold wasn't affected by Great Generals.

On a side note, i have already used to good profit spearmen with CR (Romans had horses but no metals, so I had to defend my stacks with loads of spears, and I couldn't afford to build spears AND axes. So in the end, I built spears and gave most of them CR promotions :)), and guerilla for spears is a good one (defending your copper mine on a hill!).

Sure, but both guerilla and CR? That's just wasteful. If I have two swordsmen, one has city raider and the other has no promotion, and they are attacked which defends? What about if one has City Raider and one has Guerilla and they're not on a hill? Just curious.

In that case I believe both would be equal so I think it would be the one with higher xp (I may be wrong but that's my thinking).

Another question to which I should allready know the answer:

If I station a unit on my side of the border, and enemy attacks my unit from his side of the border, the battle takes place on my side correct? So WW and GG points are accumulated / credited, etc according to the rules on my side correct?

Many thanks to the answers which I know will come.

~Crighton

P.S. - Merry Christmas everybody (or Happy Holidays, etc)

Your answer is certainly somewhere around here ( http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158 )

Does anyone know of a cheap, legal way to replace a scratched or broken disk? I got one little new scratch on my Warlords disk and now the game won't recognize it as the proper disk - it opens the menu when I stick it in, but when I tell it to play it demands the proper disk! Yes I am telling it to play Warlords with the Warlords disk, and no I didn't alter my computer or the program in any way since last time I played. I heard somewhere that companies will replace damaged disks as to justify copy protection under Fair Use laws, but I don't know if that's a myth.

In the back of the pdf manual there is how to get your DVD replaced if you have a problem with it. I have the Mac version, so it might not be exactly the same, but they will do it within 90 days for free and $10 after that.

In the back of the pdf manual there is how to get your DVD replaced if you have a problem with it. I have the Mac version, so it might not be exactly the same, but they will do it within 90 days for free and $10 after that.

Thanks, but . . . there's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza. Any chance anyone could copy and paste said info here?

Then fix it, dear Henry, dear Henry ...

I don't have the game disks here with me at work (nobody has a boss that forgiving, do they?) but you might try writing to usa@take2support.com and ask them for the process to replace a damaged CD. Good luck!

Then fix it, dear Henry, dear Henry ...

I don't have the game disks here with me at work (nobody has a boss that forgiving, do they?) but you might try writing to usa@take2support.com and ask them for the process to replace a damaged CD. Good luck!

Yup, no response yet. Think I've come across a temporary solution. And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon . . .

Is the Alexander scenario supposed to be very boring and easy? Or did that just happen?

If someone is forced to convert as a term of surrender, can they reconvert again after the standard cooling off period between revolutions?

Top Bottom