Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Hello. I purchased Civilization IV Gold today and I had a few questions. I've never played a Civilization game before.

Ok, Gold is of course suppose to contain Civilization IV and the expansion pack Warlords. Ok, when I get the game going, on the main menu, it only says Warlords. Is this suppose to happen? Is it Civ IV and Warlords combined and just say's Warlords?

Also, the instruction manual says it's suppose to let me choose the tutorial in the main menu. The tutorial option is not there. Only Single player, MP, and so on. It's missing the tutorial. Is there something wrong here, lol?

Welcome to Civfanatics :band:

Gold does indeed come with both. However the autoplay option, i.e. when you put the disc into the drive, will only load Warlords. For the original game (aka Vanilla) you'll need to use the shortcut it should have made for it or localize the .exe file it installed. Only Vanilla has a tutorial...

Hello. I purchased Civilization IV Gold today and I had a few questions. I've never played a Civilization game before.

Ok, Gold is of course suppose to contain Civilization IV and the expansion pack Warlords. Ok, when I get the game going, on the main menu, it only says Warlords. Is this suppose to happen? Is it Civ IV and Warlords combined and just say's Warlords?

Also, the instruction manual says it's suppose to let me choose the tutorial in the main menu. The tutorial option is not there. Only Single player, MP, and so on. It's missing the tutorial. Is there something wrong here, lol?
When you're in the game with it saying "Warlords", it is actually Civ IV and Warlords combined. You can also play Civ IV just by itself (without Warlords) if you so wish, by going into your Civ IV folder (probably Program Files/Firaxis Games/Sid Meier's Civilization IV) and selecting the Civilization4.exe file.

The tutorial option should be available inside the Single Player menu. :)

How do you use the workshop improvement? For some reason the AI rarely (of ever) highlights and suggests it. Where to you build workshops?

And how do you offer to go to war for somebody in the trading/diplomacy screen? This seems to be missing.

And did they change it so you can't trade recources and techs together like you could in Civ III? Either I'm doing something wrong or it's just not possible.

Thanks a bunch guys. I will try that. I just uninstalled the game and I'm going to re-install it. For some reason this game and a slew of other's never give me a desktop icon. Hopefully I can find it under the exe file.

So, once I load it back it up, and take the tutorial, can I just switch it back to how I described originally and play it like that? Than that of course will be both Civ IV and Warlords together?

How do you use the workshop improvement? For some reason the AI rarely (of ever) highlights and suggests it. Where to you build workshops?

The workshop improvement is probably the single most despised improvement in the game. Still, it has its uses.

When you first develop the improvement, it gives -1 :food: +1 :hammers:. You don't have to be an experienced player to see that that's not a great improvement. The instances where I've used the improvement when it was just available can be counted on a hand. It's far more efficient at this stage of the game to increase the food production of a city (by building a farm) and use slavery pop rushing to get production.

With guilds or the caste system civic, it gives -1 :food: +2 :hammers:, which is ok. You can turn a standard grassland tile into forested plains tile. But still, you'll get more production by using a farm and poprushing.

With guilds and the BTS caste system civic or with guilds and chemistry, it gives -1 :food: +3 :hammers:. This will turn the output of a standard grassland tile into a mined grassland hill tile or the standard plains tile into a mined plains hill tile. The output is now pretty good at that stage of the game. If you have a city which can't get anything done because of its abysmal production, then this is one of the better ways to get hammers. You might need to build farms to compensate for the loss of food. I will typically use this improvement in cities which have very few or no hills.

If you use the state property civic, then the food loss of the improvement is removed and it becomes a lot more interesting. It's one of the reasons why I liked the state property civic in vanilla civ4 and in Warlords. Still, I like corporations more, so I usually will have to live with the food loss. But there are corporations which offer food, so that's not a real problem.

If you use caste system and have chemistry, then the hammer increase will be +4 which is also great. But usually at that time many civilizations will be using the emancipation civic which makes using the caste system civic less attractive.

I typically will use this improvement from the mid to late game when I have guilds + caste system or chemistry and the hammer increase is +3. I will use it in cities which have an abysmal hammer output because of very few or no hills and still have to construct some buildings to improve themselves and I will use it in dedicated production cities which might have many hills but can still improve their hammer output more by building some workshops.

And how do you offer to go to war for somebody in the trading/diplomacy screen? This seems to be missing.

Offer war? :)

RulerOfSaPeople: Hey, Montezuma. I have a proposition for you. What do you think about war?

Montezuma: Now, hey, that sounds interesting, let's do that!

RulerOfSaPeople: So, I guess we have a deal then.

Montezuma: Yes, we have a deal. I must say we think alike, I was just thinking about the same proposal. I'll notify my troops now, you do the same, ok?

RulerOfSaPeople: Ok. See ya!

Now, I guess, such a conversation would seem somewhat plausible with a warmongering nutjob like Montezuma, but it would be rather weird for any other leader. ;)

You can declare war in two ways. When the other civilization is willing to talk with you, then you can enter diplomacy and instead of the usual 'We would like to make a trade proposal', you select 'Let's discuss something else'. One of the options in the next diplomacy menu is 'Your head would look good on the end of a pole'. Now maybe with Montezuma, this would lead to some interesting discussion about the aesthetics of heads on a pole, but the game just treats this as a declaration of war.

The other option is quicker: you hold the alt key and then click the name of the civilization in the list of civilizations in the lower right corner of the screen. (If the names of the civilizations aren't enabled, then enable them with the button 'Toggle Scores Display' just above the minimap.

There is a third option, but it's hardly declaring war. You select one of your troops and enter their territory without an open borders treaty or move on top of one of their units in neutral territory. You then get the option to declare war.

Edit: Did you maybe mean that you offered to another leader to go to war with a third party in return for something else? (Hey, Queen Victoria. We both don't like the French. What would it be worth to you if we were to declare war on them and destroy their lands? Just hypothetical, you know.) In that case, yes, that option is missing. The other leader might ask or demand that you go to war with a third party, but you cannot offer it. Still I had some fun with the above example.

And did they change it so you can't trade recources and techs together like you could in Civ III? Either I'm doing something wrong or it's just not possible.

Yes it was changed and it was probably changed to avoid some exploits. In civilization IV, you can trade per turn items (resources, gold per turn) for per turn items and one-time items (lump some, technology, maps, war declaration of Civ A on Civ B) for one-time items.
During peace negotiations, you can demand both or give both types of items. But during peace negotiations, only one of the civilizations can put something on the table next to the peace treaty. One civilization pays for the peace treaty, there's no real trading.

I try not to build workshops... the -1 food always seems to be a problem. If I have to, I build them on Plains, just because there isn't much worth doing on Plains tiles anyway. Watermills are a better option if you have river access. Not chopping and instead waiting for lumbermills is another option preferable to workshops. The "not chopping" bit is the hard part.

It isn't an option AFAIK. You can ask AIs to go to war, and AIs can ask you, but neither one of you can offer.

I don't think it's possible. Techs are a one-time trade and resources are an ongoing trade. You can't trade a one time item for, or together with, something ongoing. (Again, AFAIK.)

Adding on to the previous posts, there is an option to ask one AI to declare war with another AI in the diplomacy screen. However, this is somewhat limited in that you need to have a very good relationship with the AI you're asking to go to war, along with that AI having a sufficiently bad relationship with the AI you want them to war with. Also, an AI will always refuse to go to war if they feel sufficiently threatened by the other civ in question (in other words, their rank on the Power graph is a lot lower).

I am now for the first time trying to get two victories on same turn (cultural & domination). I know the domination victory will come in the end of the turn I first had enough land and population, but I need to know: does the cultural victory come in the start or the end of the turn I first have three legendary cities?

Hey all!! New here to the forum, but have been playing Civ 4 for awhile, 2 months.

Just a question that I can’t find via search or the manual.
Appreciate your help beforehand.

On the attached screen shot 3 of my cities are circled on the city info bar I know the number reflect “strength” of my city over all as far as production but what does the color shading the number mean??

Thanks again
TJ

Attachments

• ~$reen shot.doc
    162 bytes · Views: 50
Hey all!! New here to the forum, but have been playing Civ 4 for awhile, 2 months.

Just a question that I can’t find via search or the manual.
Appreciate your help beforehand.

On the attached screen shot 3 of my cities are circled on the city info bar I know the number reflect “strength” of my city over all as far as production but what does the color shading the number mean??

Thanks again
TJ

Sorry searched the wrong area.

Green star or circle means that your city is growing
pink (or red) there is starvation in the city
and white is when the growth is stagnant.

Thanks for your replies, guys! :) Yes, what I meant was to offer another Civ leader for me to wipe out one of his enemies that he/she was at war with if they were to give me a tech or something like that.

For example, I was playing as George Washington and in the early game I found out that my neighbors were Freddy of Germany, Monty of Aztec, and Cyrus of Persia. Well everybody whos played the game more than once or twice knows how Monty is. So I built up my military expecting an attack and sure enough right as soon I was ready to wipe out Montezuma, he declear war on me. I embraced it too and I wound up pushing him back and taking a few of his cities...

Well not long after Monty declared war on me, he went to war with Freddy. I reduced Montezuma to just 2 cities and sued for peace demanding techs and 1 of his cities. Well Frederick of Germany was still at War with him. I wanted to see if I could offer for me to attack Monty again if Frederick would give me a tech or some luxury/resource. But unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be a part of the game. Frustrating too. Because it seems realistic if you could to me, and I would be able to flourish my economy through military might by helping out friends against common enemies.

As for trading recources for techs, this was a good feature that was in Civ III. I can't imagine why they'd change it. That's very disapointing because 4 is a much better games in so many other ways. I'm extremely disapointed they changed this aspect of trading/diplomacy. :(

Anyway, thanks again guys!

If you could get tech/money for offering to attack someone it would be so unfair.
You wouldn't need to tech anymore if you're a warmongerer. You don't only get money for peace but also for a DOW. Before you DOW, just get as much as you can to do something you'd do anyway. I prefer the (sometimes very annoying) feature when the AI comes and asks you to declare war. You 'only' get diplo + (instead of -) so it isn't that easily abused.

As for trading recources for techs, this was a good feature that was in Civ III. I can't imagine why they'd change it. That's very disapointing because 4 is a much better games in so many other ways. I'm extremely disapointed they changed this aspect of trading/diplomacy. :(

It's way too easy to abuse. Even now in BTS where you get ten turn peace treaties, you could still give a resource for those ten turns only, then go to war or cancel in another way, and get a technology in return. It's good they got rid of permanent benefit <-> temporary benefit deals.

I like the diplomacy on CivIII much better because of the freedom. In real life, there are a LOT of things that can change hands at the end of a war. In fact, I would love to have an option to trade particular squares so that if the opponent does not want to give up the city and you are not powerful enough to take it, he could surrender one or two valuable squares in return for peace. Plus, I loved the offers to go to war with someone and now that you can get computers to attack others without declaring war yourselves, I wish they still had a joint "lets go kill 'em together" option.

My question is rather odd and I believe it could be a glitch. A LONG while ago on my game (by the way, I have only been playing one game the entire time I have been registered here and am at like turn 430), I did a quick land grab of some territory across an ocean and then launched a war against the nearby nation. In doing so, I came into possession of some rather rich fur bearing territory with 6 different furs scattered over three cities. However, no matter how I try (camps, forts, roads, railroads, combos of all), I cannot get them to register as tradeable items or even as benefiting my own empire. At first, I thought it was because I had Environmentalism as a civic (I could see that being a little twist), but I changed and nothing. It has not been very major as I have plenty of other resources from vassals and regular expansion.

Has anyone encountered this at all and does anyone have any ideas what is going on? I have not tried it on other games, maybe I should set up some stuff in the Worldbuilder and see if it works, but it is strange because no other resources have this problem. I am playing BtS, the latest patch (whatever it is).

A few resources (ivory, whales, ...) get obsoleted by certain technologies. For fur I believe it's electricity. So you can't get any benefit from your furs, but if you trade for someone else's, you'll get the benefit. A bit of an odd feature.

I like the diplomacy on CivIII much better because of the freedom. In real life, there are a LOT of things that can change hands at the end of a war. In fact, I would love to have an option to trade particular squares so that if the opponent does not want to give up the city and you are not powerful enough to take it, he could surrender one or two valuable squares in return for peace. Plus, I loved the offers to go to war with someone and now that you can get computers to attack others without declaring war yourselves, I wish they still had a joint "lets go kill 'em together" option.

I understand that you like this civ III diplomacy which allows more trading deals and other deals. But in my opinion, it's just the illusion of a better diplomacy model. The reason why I would call it an illusion is because there is only one civilization who really understands this diplomacy model and that is the human player. The AI doesn't really understand it. There are many examples which show that the AI doesn't understand it and most of them have to do with war and betrayal. Here, I'll mention a few of them:

- You make a deal where you give several resources for 20 turns and get some technologies. At the same time, you have large military forces on the border with this AI civilization and you can't really afford to lose some of these resources because you only have a single instance of them. Immediately after closing the deal, you declare war. You have never actually delivered the resources, but you did get the technologies.

- After a lengthy war, where you've reduced an AI civilization to a single city, you make a peace deal for 20 turns with an AI civilization and get some technologies in the deal. You immediately redeclare war after the deal and destroy the civilization.

- I even remember that someone found out that you could get non-existing gold through trade. It was a complicate manoeuvre with signing and cancelling deals. I don't remember the details anymore, but it lead to a new high score in the Hall of Fame of this site.

Of course, you would harm your reputation by cancelling these deals in the first turn, but since it was very often a game defining betrayal, that wouldn't matter very much.

While it is nice to have many options in a game, the options are not really contributing to the game if your opponent (the AI civilization) cannot really use them and in this case doesn't really understand the power of betrayal. This is not necessarily a problem if these options aren't very powerful, but in this case they would often be game-defining.

My question is rather odd and I believe it could be a glitch. A LONG while ago on my game (by the way, I have only been playing one game the entire time I have been registered here and am at like turn 430), I did a quick land grab of some territory across an ocean and then launched a war against the nearby nation. In doing so, I came into possession of some rather rich fur bearing territory with 6 different furs scattered over three cities. However, no matter how I try (camps, forts, roads, railroads, combos of all), I cannot get them to register as tradeable items or even as benefiting my own empire. At first, I thought it was because I had Environmentalism as a civic (I could see that being a little twist), but I changed and nothing. It has not been very major as I have plenty of other resources from vassals and regular expansion.

Has anyone encountered this at all and does anyone have any ideas what is going on? I have not tried it on other games, maybe I should set up some stuff in the Worldbuilder and see if it works, but it is strange because no other resources have this problem. I am playing BtS, the latest patch (whatever it is).

The plastics technology obsoletes fur. This means that you don't get the resource anymore. You can still get the resource from backward civilizations who still perform the barbarous act of skinning animals for their fur. ;)
I agree with Mesousa that this is a bit weird.

He might not have a harbor or airport to link the furs up to the rest of his civilization too.

But back to Civ III, I have had the AI betray me several times as well, mostly in the middle of those 20 turn deals (usually when they decide they can't afford the deal any more) and sometimes when I had given them a right of passage. The AI are sneaky 'stards in Civ III.

Overall I like Civ 4 better and it adds options and features (you might find in real life) missing in Civ III. But I do miss the military alliances against a specific common enemy.

I have been betrayed as well on both Civ III and IV, and I have given my share of evil and backstabbing deals. My favorite is to make mutual protection pacts with several nations, then declare war (or do something that gets them to declare war on me like espionage) on someone. As soon as I am attacked *BAM* everyone goes to war with him. It is hilarious but very cheap. I do like that mutual protection pacts are now nullified if you declare war on someone else. A good improvement that was.

I am not n00bish enough to not have them connected with the rest of the empire, and I even checked that city (where the furs were). Funny that even when looking at the Furs on the Civopedia, there was no mention of them expiring with plastics. That is a bummer and I don't think it was that way on the original Civ IV. Oh well, maybe I can go in and change that because it is kind of stupid to nullify a resource like that. Are there any others like that that I have missed?

One more thing: I went in and put a lot of the ancient era soundtracks onto the track list of the modern era, but have discovered (at least it was more noticeable with songs that are unique and don't sound like random clatter) that the game only tends to cycle through about three or four songs before repeating them. On a rare occasion, they will play something else, but it is a bummer because I would like to listen to all of them and it keeps things from being too boring while moving all my troops around. Is there any way to make the track selection more random and complete?

Top Bottom