1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. RulerOfDaPeople

RulerOfDaPeople Emperor

I don't know about the Globe question so I'll have to leave that to the experienced members.

How do I rush a wonder with a great person? Is only a certain type of great person able to do this? I looked for the button icon with the GP in the city that was building the wonder but I didn't see anything about rushing the wonder.

Also, is there a limit to the amount of wonders you can build? When choosing what to build, if I hold the mouse icon over a wonder it says something like "national/world wonder: 1 left".

2. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Only Great Engineers can rush wonders. :)

As to a limit on the number of wonders, there is no limit on world wonders but there is a limit on national wonders. This limit is 2 national wonders per city (or 5 national wonders per city on a One City Challenge game on the latest BTS patch).

3. Samson

Samson Deity

Only a great engineer can rush wonders.
    The 1 left means that only one can be built in your empire or the world. You can build as many world wonders in a city as you like, but only 2 national wonders in 1 city in the normal game. IIRC you can build as many as you like in one city challenge, and possibly 3 per city in the small world sizes, but I am not sure.

4. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

In BtS OCC you can build 5 national wonders.

I think if you remove the great wonder from the building queue you can also start building it in another city (but not so sure about that).

5. BrantleyL1

BrantleyL1 Warlord

Why only in small towns?

Why not to opposition? Don't you get :commerce: from them??

And what About vassels? Is it OK to spread it to them?

6. mystyfly

mystyfly Knight of Cydonia

When your military production city buildis 1 unit/turn you don't need any more production. Corporations cost a lot of money.

You don't want Shaka to build even more units.
    You don't want 'your' wonders snatched 1 turn before you complete them.
    You don't want your SS to be late because the AI suddently has several production powerhouses.
    Also the AI doesn't trade the ressources to you if they now need them themselves.

You can spread crappy corps like creative construction to the AI. Just make sure eg MM or another culture guy doesn't get them..

7. dimaliok

dimaliok GayLORD

I live on Ridgewood. BG IL 0089

8. RulerOfDaPeople

RulerOfDaPeople Emperor

How do you get a vassall for your civ?

9. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Chieftain

hi how do u make tech trees from scratch? please wb ty

10. ocitalis

ocitalis Chieftain

Is there any way I can play a game that has the United Nations, without having diplomatic victory as a victory type? I like the effects of the UN, but I dont want diplomatic victories.

edit:bts, 3.13

11. TheRealBitter

TheRealBitter Chieftain

I am new to the game, and I went through a few pages of this thread and didn't see anyone asking this question and the manual kind of talks about this topic vaguely. How do I load units onto a ship and sail to a landmass and continue my civilization over there? Also, which ships can I load units onto to settle a city on another landmass? And what units can go on the ships? Settlers and military?

And if my first city starts to become unhealthy, what can I do to make it healthy again? I saw a couple of other threads about it, but I am VERY new to this game and the terminology is still new to me. =/

If someone could assist me, that would be excellent. Thank you.

Bitter.

12. RulerOfDaPeople

RulerOfDaPeople Emperor

There are several buildings to help with health. Hover your mouse icon over each building option and they will tell you what their benefit to the city is in a small little window. For ones that will improve health, you will see a little + (then a number) :health: in that little box. The most efficiant way at the beginning of the game to boos health is to build an Aqueduct. Aqueducts produce +2 heath.

I don't remember the other buildings but just let your mouse icon rest over the building name during city selection (or it's picture icon if you are in the city screen) and it will tell you what that building's effects are. Build the one that has a +:health: effect. You should also know that health is not a major concern until you have more unhealthy faces than healthy. Having certain recources and having your city built on fresh water also increases health.

As for loading units onto a ship, have your ship on the coast next to land and direct your units to go to that tile where the ship is. They will will on and load into the ship. But only certain types of ships are able to carry settlers and military units. I think in bts the earl is a galley that can carry 2 units. In vanilla, I think it's a Galleon that can carry 3. Use the civilpedia (F12 key) to check.

13. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

You can choose Custom Game instead of Play Game and then choose which victory conditions you want active on the lower right side of the screen. I always turn off the time victory and leave all the other ones active. I have never turned off Diplo victory, so I don't know if that would also kill off the UN. However, when I am playing for a culture victory, I frequently will build the UN, once I am sure that I will get elected Secretary General, and get elected. Then when the choices come up, I will choose the ones that I like. I will never choose to have the Diplo victory vote happen. When all the things that I want passed are passed, I will then choose the last thing on the list, which is No Proposal or something to that effect. (I don't recall the exact wording.) As long as I keep getting elected Sec Gen and choosing to have no proposal voted on, no one can win a diplo victory. That way you can get what you are wanting, access to all the UN stuff but no diplo victory. Of course, you have to have enough friends to keep getting elected Sec Gen.
    ;)

14. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

RulerOfDaPeople has answered this pretty well. Just to touch up a few details: In vanilla, which is what I play, the first transport that can carry settlers, workers, and military is also the galley, which can carry 2. The catch is that the galley can only operate in costal waters. So, it works fine to transport along the coast or across a very narrow strait to another land mass. It won't get you to any land mass that is across ocean waters. The next ship that can transport your settlement team is the galleon, which can carry 3. It can go anywhere on the ocean and is what you need to get to a land mass that is not just one or two spaces away.

15. TheRealBitter

TheRealBitter Chieftain

Yeah, I believe I have a galleon, I was sailing it around just to see how far it can go, and I was able to go very far with it, so I figure that would be what I have currently, as well as a galley which I haven't taken very far around the coast yet. I'll give both of your advice a try. Thanks a bunch and I appreciate the quick replies.

Bitter.

16. BrantleyL1

BrantleyL1 Warlord

Beat on them. When you get them to agree to a peace treaty, one of the things in the trade list will be for them to become a vassel.

I'm not sure I recommend it. I don't have a lot of experience with it - maybe someone else will know... But a game or two back, I was whooping up on one of the AIs on my continent. I had been stretched a little thin, so I wanted to regroup for a while and asked for peace. I asked if he'd agree to that and he did. I figured that I'd go back and just declare war on him after I rebuilt. After I got to that point, I found that I could not declare on him. AND my cities complained the whole rest of the game... "The citizens of city X ask to become part of the yyy civilization." What a pain.

Vassels also work against you. So when one attacks, they both do. Or if you mistakenly declare on the weaker of the two, you'll find yourself in a BIG fight.

17. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

This is incorrect. Vassals cannot declare war on you, just as you cannot declare war on them. If you're careful about it, you can actually woo a vassal who has capitulated back to adoring you. Vassals must also vote for you in all AP or UN elections.

18. Mesousa

Mesousa -8.38 -6.67

I guess BrantleyL1 meant that when a master declares on you, his vassal will be at war with you too.

About getting a vassal, of course you don't have to beat on them, peaceful vassalization is also possible. Once you have disvcovered Feudalism, Capitulation should appear as an option in the diplomacy screen, whether you're at war with someone or not.

Naturally it can help if someone else is beating on them. :mischief:

19. scienide09

scienide09 Regular lurker

So that's what happened in my last game! I hadn't played in ages, but a break in the school term allowed me to sneak in a game or two.

The Germans just wouldn't see the wisdom I was bringing, and instead fell under the sway of the evil Egyptians. Sadly, my only city (OCC game) was landlocked, and I couldn't reach Egypt's shores.

Edit: If someone will confirm, can the human player in an OCC game have a vassal? The option was included in the trade list, but I was never able to ask them to capitulate. (Warlords on Mac).

20. Mesousa

Mesousa -8.38 -6.67

I don't think it's impossible, but it's highly unlikely, since you need to have considerable more land and population than your vassal, and that's pretty hard to do in an OCC came, unless they've lost all but one or two of their cities ... and even if that's the case and you vassalize them, they'll probably break free again soon if they can settle any new cities.