Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I just checked. In the latest patched version of vanilla civ4, warlords and BTS, the seal doesn't upgrade to a mechanized infantry. The patch can be acquired by the automatic update function inside the advanced menu of the game. If you got your game from STEAM instead of a shop, then you should also get the patch through STEAM.

I downloaded it...and I guess the fact that I ran Vista made it not work....so everything go bye bye....

Edit: So I reinstalled and went back to download your patch and an error comes up during extract.

Edit 2: So I fixed that, but now I want to do the auto update thing and I'm scared it will all screw up agian. Last time it said something was missing

I downloaded it...and I guess the fact that I ran Vista made it not work....so everything go bye bye....

Edit: So I reinstalled and went back to download your patch and an error comes up during extract.

Edit 2: So I fixed that, but now I want to do the auto update thing and I'm scared it will all screw up agian. Last time it said something was missing

I don't quite understand what went wrong, but if the automatic update method is giving you problems, then you could also try to download the patch from this site.

You can find the various patches here:

Patches

I've never used VISTA, but I did buy Play The World so I feel your pain.

Which is the one from the auto update?

That depends whether you're a PC user or a Mac user and whether you're playing vanilla civ4, Warlords or BTS. You need the highest numbered patch for the version of the game that you're playing.

That depends whether you're a PC user or a Mac user and whether you're playing vanilla civ4, Warlords or BTS. You need the highest numbered patch for the version of the game that you're playing.

I'm PC and I guess Im vanilla civ4, cuz I odnt have warloads or bts...but idk what vanilla means...im more of a chocolate guy...

I'm PC and I guess Im vanilla civ4, cuz I odnt have warloads or bts...but idk what vanilla means...im more of a chocolate guy...
:lol:

"Vanilla" just means the "original version" of any game - without using any expansion packs or major modifications. So you want the highest patch for just plain "Civilization IV", with no expansion packs. :)

:lol:

"Vanilla" just means the "original version" of any game - without using any expansion packs or major modifications. So you want the highest patch for just plain "Civilization IV", with no expansion packs. :)

I know thats what I need, problem is I dont understand what all them patches say:lol:

Question, say I'm building a wonder or building or anything and I chop down some trees around that civ, does that mean the building goes quicker?

Yeah, chopping down forests provides hammers to whatever you're working on, even wonders (in Civ3, that did not work). The amount of hammers also declines as you chop forests further and further away from the city.

Vanilla means plain Civilization IV with no expansions. But if you're a chocolate guy you should get BtS which includes Ethiopia.

I'm sure this is a silly question and I'm a silly person for asking it, but do City Raider and City Garrison bonuses (including those inherent in archers, swords and trebs) apply to attacking/defending fortresses?

a4phantom said:
I'm sure this is a silly question and I'm a silly person for asking it, but do City Raider and City Garrison bonuses (including those inherent in archers, swords and trebs) apply to attacking/defending fortresses?

Yes, they do.

Yes, they do.

But that functionality was added in a certain patch or expansion pack. I'm not sure if these promotions work against forts in the latest version of vanilla civ4 for instance. They do work in BTS.

Thanks. How many aircraft squadrons can you base in a fort?

4 (like a city without an airport).

Hi
I want to make a mod (or something like it) where the Renaissance (riflemen, cannon etc. About the time of the civil war in the US) is the final era.

Can anyone tell me where to find help on how to make such a mod, or tell me what to do?

P.S. I am not sure if this was the right tread to post in. I someone think I should post in another tread, pleas say so.

Hi
I want to make a mod (or something like it) where the Renaissance (riflemen, cannon etc. About the time of the civil war in the US) is the final era.

Can anyone tell me where to find help on how to make such a mod, or tell me what to do?

P.S. I am not sure if this was the right tread to post in. I someone think I should post in another tread, pleas say so.

The right forum to ask this would be the Creation and Customization forum.

I know a little bit about modding. I would try to remove some technologies from the game. The file CIV4TechInfos.xml in Assets/XML/Technologies stores a lot of variables for each technology. One of those is a variable called bDisable which is 0 for every technology in the game. I wouldn't be surprised if setting the value for this variable to 1 would remove the technology from the game. But I haven't experimented with it and the people who regularly visit the Creation and Customization forum can probably give you more and better advice.

Oh, and welcome to civfanatics! :dance::band::dance:

There's a forum on Creation and Customization elsewhere.

Welcome to the forums nonetheless :):):>

Edit: Roland - wouldn't that lock the game up? If you took out everything beyond a certain point, the computer might look for research and then lock up if you couldn't choose anything else.

You would have to make Future Tech dependent on the latest techs Alkymist wants to make available so the computer was always able to research something. Shouldn't be too difficult for an expert though.

Oh, btw, I have some questions myself.

(a) How do you add a note to the screen?

(b) Is there a max number of screenshots you can take in one folder? I seem to have lost the last six or seven from my Wolgamesh story game and as I had about forty in the "My Games > Civilization IV > Beyond the Sword > Screenshots" folder already I'm not sure whether there is a limit or they didn't get taken or they have been saved elsewhere by mistake.

(c) On one saved game I downloaded last night I saw someone had queued research - he was researching The Wheel and then the computer started researching Pottery without me having to choose it from the normal list. How is this possible or done?

Hi

Just a minor and completely unhelpful nitpick, the Renaissance was something like 1300-1700, so technically musketmen not riflemen. And if that's where you plan on having the game play out, I'd think you'd want to mod in much more diversity of units, for example progressively better cannons. I think it would be weird to play the game normally and then have technology just stop and everyone using precisely the same units till the end.

That said, I don't know a thing about modding so I can't actually help!

Edit: Roland - wouldn't that lock the game up? If you took out everything beyond a certain point, the computer might look for research and then lock up if you couldn't choose anything else.

You would have to make Future Tech dependent on the latest techs Alkymist wants to make available so the computer was always able to research something. Shouldn't be too difficult for an expert though.

Hmm, that might be a problem, depending on how the game reacts to not having a research project available. Your solution is the logical next step if the game locks up and can be done by some small changes in that same file. (The lines with orprereqs and andprereqs determine the optional and required technologies to research another technology.)

(a) How do you add a note to the screen?

Alt-s while in the main screen or zoom out and use the add sign option of the strategic overlay.

(b) Is there a max number of screenshots you can take in one folder? I seem to have lost the last six or seven from my Wolgamesh story game and as I had about forty in the "My Games > Civilization IV > Beyond the Sword > Screenshots" folder already I'm not sure whether there is a limit or they didn't get taken or they have been saved elsewhere by mistake.

I have no idea, but I would be surprised if the number of screenshots in one folder would be a relatively low number. Maybe you have no space left on your c-drive (or where ever you've stored the files)?

(c) On one saved game I downloaded last night I saw someone had queued research - he was researching The Wheel and then the computer started researching Pottery without me having to choose it from the normal list. How is this possible or done?

Like most games, Civilization 4 uses the SHIFT key to queue things. You can queue unit orders, building orders and research orders.

Top Bottom