Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Hi, is there a mod, that disables tech trade but at the same time doesn't disable ransoming techs for a peace treaty or to buff your vassals?

Disc vs. download?
Was just gifted a new Lenova Thinkpad with Windows 10, after my old unit crashed. I'm jonesing to play Rise From Erebus again!
Problem: no disc drive. I have an older LG usb disc drive, and can't seem to properly load Civ4, although I did get Colonization working just fine.
Question: were it you, would you:
A) buy a digital download of Civ4 and BTS?
B) buy a newer usb disc drive?
C) Or?
Thanks in advance for any advice. I live in the middle of nowhere, and don't always have internet access, so I rely on many hours of the excellent Civ4 mods to help maintain my sanity, such as it is.

Use an external bluray or dvd drive. Plugs into usb port(s). Works great and can be used with nearly any computer. :)

Civ4 from STEAM is different from the DVD version, Please read this entire thread.

Thanks, Leif. So probably my old dvd drive is the problem? I did look at some for sale the other day....any personal recommendation?

Hi, is there a mod, that disables tech trade but at the same time doesn't disable ransoming techs for a peace treaty or to buff your vassals?

Not a mod, but the "No tech brokering" option might suit your needs.

That option allows you to trade a tech to an ally or vassal without it immediately being traded to every other AI, friendly or otherwise.

Disc vs. download?
Was just gifted a new Lenova Thinkpad with Windows 10, after my old unit crashed. I'm jonesing to play Rise From Erebus again!
Problem: no disc drive. I have an older LG usb disc drive, and can't seem to properly load Civ4, although I did get Colonization working just fine.
Question: were it you, would you:
A) buy a digital download of Civ4 and BTS?
B) buy a newer usb disc drive?
C) Or?
Thanks in advance for any advice. I live in the middle of nowhere, and don't always have internet access, so I rely on many hours of the excellent Civ4 mods to help maintain my sanity, such as it is.

Get a new drive it you like, you still won't be able to play CIV4 on disk from Windows 10, courtesy of Microsioft. Look at the reply I just wrote to you in the thread that you created with this same posting in the Tech forum. It explains your problem and a solution.

Disc vs. download?.

Civ IV Complete often goes on sale for about 7 bucks on GOG or Steam. It may be a rather cheaper option for you, while eliminating the issues 10 has with disks.

Are there any problems with loading Fall From Heaven, Rise From Erebus, or other Mods with the downloaded version of Civ IV/BTS?

Are there any problems with loading Fall From Heaven, Rise From Erebus, or other Mods with the downloaded version of Civ IV/BTS?

Shouldn't be any problem, unless you use the Steam version. If you have the Steam version, switch BTS to the "original release" version in the Betas tab. Otherwise, if you download Civ IV from another vendor just make sure BTS is patched to 3.19. The Complete version on most sites should already be patched up, I believe. If not a "Compete" version, then you should check the version after install.

If any issues may exist with FFH and its modmods, then you can check the FFH forum here:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/civ4-fall-from-heaven.190/

I don't really get the "March" promotion. Does it only heal when I move the unit or does it also heal even if said unit is staying in one place?

I don't really get the "March" promotion. Does it only heal when I move the unit or does it also heal even if said unit is staying in one place?

I believe healing from March is only a factor while the unit is moving. All units heal while stationary anyway, so I do not think March boosts stationary healing. I would note that if you have a medic in the same stack as any wounded units with the March promo, those units will heal faster when moving. That is the healing factor of the March promo - healing on the move - is boosted by any medic type promos - Medic I-III and Woody III

Last edited:
Just to clarify; only units with the March promo heal while moving. Other units in a stack with a unit with the March promo do not heal while moving; only while stationary.

got a new rig. I want Civ IV to launch in BAT mod without starting and then loading mod. I know I've seen instructions how to do this but I don't remember. HALP PLZ!

got a new rig. I want Civ IV to launch in BAT mod without starting and then loading mod. I know I've seen instructions how to do this but I don't remember. HALP PLZ!

Create a shortcut from the base BTS exe...rename it to BAT or whatever. Go to that shortcut's properties and add the following at the end of the "Target" field:

mod=" BAT Mod 4.1"

(make sure there is a space between that text and the other text)

here's a pic that might help:

Spoiler :

Use that shortcut whenever you want to run BAT. I have several of them for the mods I run. Basically, for any mod you have installed, you can create this shortcut, and the mod name just needs to match the name of that mod's folder...in the Mod folder.

edit: I just realized that you might see a space right between the quote and BAT in my pic. For some reason I had to do that for it to work with my Steam install..no clue why, but I fixed it like that based on the error message it was giving me. You likely will not have to do that all. I've been using these shortcuts for years on non-Steam versions without having to monkey with anything.

Note: There is a way to have a single mod run always by changing the Config file, but I don't like that way since I run different stuff all the time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom