Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

When you assign a colonist (in the city) to a tile, you have to choose what he harvests.
A forest grassland tile will provide 6 wood, 3 furs, 1 food, 1 tobacco (or something like that). Double click on colonists and reassign them to food.

Improvements (like a farm) add 1 to the tile's yield. Farmers and fishermen add a fixed 3 food to any tile already generating 1 food. Plus 2-3 more from food resources.

Tiles next to rivers have one extra yield to everything.

You use them in churches (double production) to increase immigration (crosses) from Europe.

You might want to look through the game's Civilopedia (book with a question mark) for such simple questions. There's also a 'Civ4Col' link on the top of this forum.

How do I make a pioneer in civcol? - I found this one again sorry for the trouble, youve been great

You use them in churches (double production) to increase immigration (crosses) from Europe.

You might want to look through the game's Civilopedia (book with a question mark) for such simple questions. There's also a 'Civ4Col' link on the top of this forum.

Sorry my frien, I know these are extremely simplistic questions...I have spent hours reasearching. I do appreciate your patiance

Here's a question I couldnt get an answer to...how do I arm my soldiers and dragoons with gun to go explore with?

Move them into a city that has guns and horses.
You can buy Horses and Guns in Europe, or breed Horses and make guns in your colonies.

Change profession button in the lower middle. City needs to have enough horses and/or guns.
One equipped the colonist's strength will change (from 2) to 3 for soldiers and 4 for dragoons.

Here's a question I couldnt get an answer to...how do I arm my soldiers and dragoons with gun to go explore with?

Make a Dragoon the normal way - drag a colonist into your city, then double click him to choose his profession, select Dragoon.
Then when your Dragoon is in your Garrison go back to map screen, select the Dragoon and click the Explore button at the bottom (the mountain button). This will send him exploring automatically. Note you have to have 50 spare horses and guns in your warehouse to make the Dragoon (otherwise you won't get the Dragoon option on the menu).

However, he is still a Dragoon not a seasoned scout. So he can get you into a war by going into burial grounds or elsewhere and upsetting the natives. So if you have a native village nearby that does season scout training send him there. He will still get seasoned even as a mounted Dragoon. Seasoned units can go to any treasure square without upsetting the natives.

Alternatively, take a seasoned scout (you normally get one from Dock pretty early on) drag him into your City, then make him a Dragoon. Now you will have an armed seasoned scout / Dragoon. Again click in Explore / Mountain button to send him on his way.

How do I make a pioneer in civcol? - I found this one again sorry for the trouble, youve been great

Again drag a colonist into the City screen from Garrison and double click on him - choose profession menu will come up.

Select Pioneer - requires 50 spare tools in warehouse or the Pioneer option will not appear on the profession menu. Then a Pioneer will appear in your Garrison. But he will be a plain Pioneer not a blue Hardy Pioneer.

Then send him to work on the square surrounding the City using the map screen.

You can school a new Hardy Pioneer if you already have one in your City.

I wish the roads where easier to locate to find the quickest way around

You just use the move or go to button to drag out the path multiple moves ahead to the unit's destination. This finds the quickest way automatically. If the unit doesn't use a road then the unit has an alternative way that is equally as fast or faster. One square of road doesn't make much difference to travel speed - the unit wants several continuous squares of roads to make it worthwhile to use the road.

The only time there are differences is if you are building roads on the way, which the unit doesn't know about, or the quickest path may take you close to enemy territory where you don't want to go.

You are obviously new to this game, there are lots of more important things to worry about than movement point rules (which are pretty complicated). Just let the units find their own way.

I dont know how many turns ive gone but all I seem to do is fight to get my cities productive. I am not really sure when or if I should start taking over Indians. (turn 153, shceech)

Also, how do you develop a master anything in this game?

You get them in Europe, either through immigration (crosses) or buying them for a lot of money.
You can then settle them in a city with education buildings. Any students will be able to graduate to that profession.
Some professions are free (experts), some have a moderate cost (masters) and some are really expensive (preacher, statesmen, pioneer, soldier). You pay the gold in the turn they graduate, that's also when you choose their profession. The more colonists you train in a city the longer it takes each new time. You should train 2-4 in a city, then switch to another one.

You can also get (train) experts in native villages for free. Switch the village after 2-3 uses.
Send a colonist, indentured servant or petty criminal there to live among the natives.

You get them in Europe, either through immigration (crosses) or buying them for a lot of money.
You can then settle them in a city with education buildings. Any students will be able to graduate to that profession.
Some professions are free (experts), some have a moderate cost (masters) and some are really expensive (preacher, statesmen, pioneer, soldier). You pay the gold in the turn they graduate, that's also when you choose their profession. The more colonists you train in a city the longer it takes each new time. You should train 2-4 in a city, then switch to another one.

You can also get (train) experts in native villages for free. Switch the village after 2-3 uses.

And how do you train them in an Indian colony?

You mean the founding fathers? There are no negative bonuses. Except for the fact that they cost points (political, exploration, trading, religious, military). So opponents might get a founding father you want before you, if you waste your points.

There is no limit on how many members you can 'invite'.

Thats a bit tricky. I,ve invited every founding father that requested to join...have I been wasting my points?

I'm confused. I just started a new game and none of my units will join my first city. What's up with that?

They might think there's no food. Assign the one colonist inside to a tile that makes at least 2 food.
Then you can join new units.

You need two food per colonist or else they won't join.

Top Bottom