1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

You do have the Conquests expansion, don't you?
    Either to the Scenarios or Conquests subfolders of the Conquests folder for the scenario packs. For each individual mod, they usually have a readme.txt file included. Check each mod's instructions.

2. RoseMarie

RoseMarie Chieftain

Very stupid question I know, but for some reason I couldn't find where it was clearly explained... do...

How do I use military police?

The only reference I found to using them was to garrison a unit into a city, but I never
    get that option... only to fortify them on top of the cities

Thanks!

~Rose

3. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

If the unit is in the city, it automatically acts as military police. This assumes that you are in a government that allows MP and also that there aren't already other units being counted as MP.

4. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

When you put a ground unit (with offensive or defensive hit points -> 1/1/1 or 1/2/2 for example) in a town, city, or metroplis you have garrisoned that city. The unit does not have to be fortified, just present in the city.

In some forms of government, a unit in a city wil act as Military Police (MP). Let's say you're in Despotism, having a unit stationed in your city will bring a smiley face to the population (at the bottom of the city screen where you see the units, a smiley face will appear next to the unit). That smiley face makes one unhappy citizen content. Having two units in that city would bring two smiley faces to the population, making two unhappy citizens become content. This act of making the population content is what is meant by utilizing Military Police. A unit in the city can be equivalent to a luxury or a Temple in that regard.

Your civopedia will tell you how many units will act as MPs in a city. Look up governments. Each government is listed with this stat. Note that if your MP limit is two and you put three units in the city, only two will act as MPs (making an unhappy citizen content).

5. steffenopolis

steffenopolis Chieftain

Im in the editor and for some reason It doesn't show cities, units, roads, railroads, fortresses, irrigation or mines. What is up with that? The cities only show the name....

6. steffenopolis

steffenopolis Chieftain

How many people feel like an idiot for being a newbie? Did the research and found all I had to do is UN-click the clean map button!

7. splunge the 2nd

splunge the 2nd King

We've all ben there, steffenopolis! Glad you could find the fix.

8. Immortal7777

Immortal7777 Chieftain

They don't have volcanoes in vanilla so what does it matter?

9. darski

darski Regent in Training

it only matters if you want to feed your people. Mountains get some shields but NOOOOOO food.

10. Wardog

Wardog Warlord

I liked a mod of the grassland forests.pcx file, but want to keep the original jungle graphics.

So I want to open the modded grassland forests.pcx and then put in it the original jungle graphics part. How can I do that?

11. darski

darski Regent in Training

It is best to ask these questions in the Creation and Customization forums.

12. Takhisis

Best go to the Tutorials section first.

13. wazzzuup

wazzzuup track $tar

I just got CivIII and can anyone show me some links to guides on it? Thanks!!:D

14. Takhisis

How about browsing the forums?

15. hellawaits

hellawaits Chieftain

All right, I've got a question: I have Celts and plan to invade the unlucky guy who shares my continent. Right now we are in early MA. But instead of MIs I want to use my UU (both because of GA and their greater speed). Problem here is, production switches all by itself though there are both MI and GS in the list. What can I do?

16. MysteryX

MysteryX Warlord

Don't let governors control your production. Control it yourself.

You can queue ten units for production so you don't have to change the production of every settlement every few turns.

17. Takhisis

Yes, that's a basic tenet of CivIII: never leave anything up to the AI. Not even workers, if you can handle them.

18. Wardog

Wardog Warlord

How do I set cities to build the same previous unit automatically?

After building Hoplite they change the production to Medieval Infantry without my order.

Looked at Preferences and didn't find anything. After a fresh install of the game for a long time I forgot how to set this silly thing.

19. Bartleby

Bartleby Remembers laughter

In the preferences you should see "always build previously built unit".

20. Wardog

Wardog Warlord

I was looking for it only in "Game Preferences", not in "Unit Preferences".

Now I found it. Thanks for the help and sorry for the dumb question. Too late in the night here. :sleep: