1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Padma, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a4phantom

a4phantom Perma-newbie

If you checked the "unload" tag on the Army unit in the editor, would you be able to remove units from armies? Then you would be able to upgrade them and stick them back in. This would greatly increase the power and flexibility of armies. Has anyone done this, does it work?

2. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

Don't know. Why don't you try it and let us know?

But, IMO, Armies are strong enough already. By not allowing the Army to unload, you take extra care in what units you put into it. Allowing them to unload might unbalance the unit. Now, I'm not saying don't do it, but it should be balanced out somehow.

3. a4phantom

a4phantom Perma-newbie

I'll try to test it this weekend, the computer I have at school can't play Civ3. I agree that it would make armies to powerful in Conquests, but for those using Vanilla or PTW it might help balance underpowered armies.

4. Shabbaman

Shabbaman rebuffing the rebels

afaik if you check the unload box, the army becomes something like a boat-unit. So yes, you should be able to unload units from it.
    This would be absolutely ridiculous though: you attack with an army, and after heavy battle the units in it only got 1 hp left. You unload the units, and then load fresh units in them. The fully regenerated army strikes again.

Not. Good.

I disagree with armies being underpowered in vanilla. Compared to c3c (in which armies might be overpowered), yes, but compared to a stack of 3 (or 4) units, the army is still strong. It might be overpriced though, but I think it'd be easy to change this cost in the editor. It'd also be an idea to remove the army-prerequisite from the mil. academy, so you never would have to waste a leader.

5. mabellino

mabellino Muggle

Does chopping forest lead to extra shields towards wonders?
    I know that if it does it'll only happen once, but something tells me it ain't that easy!

6. Gainy

Gainy Guest

You can't hurry wonders in any way i'm afraid. Meaning if you disband units in that city, it won't matter, same goes for chopping down forest around about it.

Either of these methods would work if you were building a normal improvment/unit though :)

7. mabellino

mabellino Muggle

wow that was a quick answer!
    thought so but it'd really help GOTM31 if I could! *not saying anymore for fear of violating spoiler rules*

Thanks GB

8. SSgtBaloo

SSgtBaloo Chieftain

Has anyone made a World War II scenario (for PTW) that uses a large world map, rather than one particular region? I've tried the search feature at this forum but failed the 2% rule (you must be at least 2% smarter than the thing you are trying to use for it to work properly);) , so I haven't found much, and nothing like I'm looking for.

What I am looking for is something like a Civ III (PTW) version of an old game called "Axis and Allies", except starting in 1939, either just before or after Germany's invasion of poland.

--SSgtBaloo

9. Samson

Samson Deity

Can you rename units (like Galleys) in PTW? How do you do it?

TIA,

10. Gumby78

Gumby78 Franchise Tag

Select the unit.
    Press Shift-N
    or
    click or the Rename Unit Button. (ABC)
    with the Advanced Unit Actions buttons turned on.

11. Penguin Glory

Penguin Glory Aquatic Pigeon

2 Questions:

-How do you get into a mobilization economy and what benefits does it have?

-How do you show JUST the resources on a map...I remember doing it before, but I don't remember how.

Thanks!:)

12. Gainy

Gainy Guest

Research Nationalism, then press F1. There is an option in a drop-down menu on that screen for it. The hotkey might be Shift + m, I can't really remember, but I press it all the time and is quite annoying :(

It basically just increases production in all squares being worked by 1 (i'm not sure if the square has to be producing sheilds already or not)
    The bad thing is, you can only build Militaristc-type improvements.

Press Control + Shift + M, then hide everything else but resources :)

13. Samson

Samson Deity

Thanks. That will help with my gally "escalator"

14. a4phantom

a4phantom Perma-newbie

Point taken.

I disagree, the long healing time of a vanilla army, even in a city with a barracks, makes it less generally less useful than the sum of its parts.

15. Shabbaman

Shabbaman rebuffing the rebels

That's true, you can use that healing army as a defender though. Never had any issues with that anyway. But let's not turn this into a discussion thread. I think this has been thoroughly discussed in the past btw.

16. progmac

progmac Chieftain

when my cities finish producing anything, the box pops up of course and by default suggests i build a tank or mech infantry or some other type of military unit. my military is huge and i would rather it default to a civic improvement. is there something i can do to change what it defaults to? Ii have about 40 cities, so changing it every time makes the game very, very tedious.

17. viper275

viper275 Playing Civ4

Whenever I make a scenario and put some improvements into cities I placed, it doesn't really work. I play the game and the city can still build the improvements that are there. This doesn't happen in scenarios I download so I don't think it's a bug. Can I prevent this or is this a bug? Btw, I'm playing vanilla Civ3 with the patch 1.29f.

EDIT: I think I know how to answer this question:
    Go to the city governor for any city. Either right click the city then go to city governor, or go to the city screen and click the city governor icon. Then make the production go however you want it to be and the defaults shouldn't give you more military units. If you have a lot of cities, instead of using the "this city" section, try all cities or continental cities.

18. Samson

Samson Deity

Well, at some point you have to decide what the city is to build. You can either do it when it has finised building the last thing (the pop up you are talking about) or before, perhaps while you are micromanaging it so as to get the best out of the last couple of turns of building. To do this, hold down the shift button and the thing you select will be added to the "queue". The when the box pops up, the thing you selected will be there.

I think you can copy build queue from one city to another, but I have never done this.

HTH, but it may not ;-)

19. King Alexander

King Alexander Universe explorer

I rarely have seen one use the war mobilization tab in the F1 screen. Is it worthless or not? When I tried it a couple of times, unhapiness became a major issue: I'm reffering specifically when Despotism is one's goverment.

20. Gumby78

Gumby78 Franchise Tag

Wartime mobilization is more useful under communism and fascism that have no war weariness. Going to wartime mobilization under other governments unhappiness does become a major issue. I use wartime mobilization along with communism almost all of the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.