Quick Questions and Answers

No, I'm fairly sure you won't lose the statue's use. If you want to be 100% sure, save before the switch.

No, I'm fairly sure you won't lose the statue's use. If you want to be 100% sure, save before the switch.

I will; I just hoped that someone here would know. I'll be at work for the next 7-8hrs and would rather think about my game plan than work.

Is it possible to build infinite number of cities with maximum population in theory, if you have all the possible combinations of happiness inducing and unhappiness reducing wonders/building/beliefs/tenets/policies/resources without going below 0 happiness? Not that I'm going, but in my latest game I conquered a giant continent with free space for like 9-10 fully packed cities, wanted to build a huge empire, but got stuck with 4 grand cities full of unhappy people.

Also, what would happen, if you run out of civilization specific city names? I don't know how much are there, but what if you have built 50-th city and there are no more names left? Would you be prohibited to build more or future cities will borrow names from other civs?

I don't have BNW yet, but speaking for G&K, it's close to possible if you maximize your spacing (i.e. ICS). You have to pick your social policies and wonders properly and it's easier the larger the map. One huge pangea map not too long ago I was running a 300+ happiness surplus with close to 100 cities in my empire. The more recent additions were nowhere close to their food limited population but growing fast, when I got bored and won. Nothing truly infinite of course, as you run out of space eventually.

does oasis count as desert? im asking for the achievement where you have to build colossus and petra in the same city

I think what he's asking is that does the game count it as a desert? I think Petra does not count flood plain deserts as deserts.

Looks like Flood Plains don't count by Oasis do.

I'm looking at my Petra city right now, and Oasis does indeed count as desert. So do desert hills and desert tiles with resources. For example, my city has 2 Citrus and 2 Wheat. The Citrus and Wheat along the Flood Plains do not count since Flood Plains do not count. But the Wheat and Citrus that are on just desert tiles do count.

I've been looking through some LPs in Youtube and been reading these forums, and I often come up with comments like "Salt is a great luxury resource..." or something similar. What makes salt so special, I mean I can understand gold because, well... it's gold. But salt??

Somebody please enlighten me, thanks!

I've been looking through some LPs in Youtube and been reading these forums, and I often come up with comments like "Salt is a great luxury resource..." or something similar. What makes salt so special, I mean I can understand gold because, well... it's gold. But salt??

Somebody please enlighten me, thanks!

Salt, at least in the Roman era, was considered a luxury item and used to be a form of de-facto currency. I believe Roman soldiers also received some of their pay in salt (I'm basing this off of what my 8th grade history teacher said, so who knows if that's actually true).

Familiar with the word "salary"? Or the observation that someone is (or is not) "worth their salt"?

Because it is vital to health, salt has been a valuable commodity, and salt works (which the mines on salt deposits in CiV represent) have been a source of prosperity (hence the small gold yield, in addition to 1 extra food and hammer when improved). As an aside, in England, many towns with salt mines have names ending in "wich" (e.g., Middlewich, Droitwich), so consider renaming your next English salt city "Droitwich" or "Nantwich".

The Finnish equivalent for the Horn of Plenty and Cornucopia is Sampo, a machine that creates gold, flour and salt out of the thin air. Yeah, it's one of the "top three".

Thanks. Should read my history, I did not realize that it (salt) was so important luxury back then.

This explains why everyone wants my Roman salt, but they scoff at my citrus. I did not realize that some luxuries are valued over others in-game. How very realistic of them... how dare they! ;)

Citrus should be craved by your seafaring neighbors, at least after they discover Astronomy. Remember skurvy? Citric acid - Vitamin C - is the answer.

Well, apparently the skurvy swags I've encountered prefer salt on their rat meat over a bit of curesome fruit. Silliness aside, I shall keep this in mind in my current game with Spain, Polynesia, and Byzantium.

Top Bottom