1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. 3drawegroeg

3drawegroeg Chieftain

Is the religion enhancer benefit exclusive to the religion's founder, or do follower civs also benefit? I'm trying to figure out if taking just war next to Shaka (who adopted my religion) is a death wish. :)

2. Zaldrizes

Zaldrizes Warlord

I'm new to this myself, but my Enhancer beliefs have been Itinerant Preachers and Religious Texts, and they've spread like wildfire because other civs' cities "benefitted" from them too. By extension, then, it seems logical that Just War or any other Enhancer belief would indeed benefit any city following it. I believe only Founder benefits are exclusive to the player. That said, I'd await a veteran to confirm.

3. 3drawegroeg

3drawegroeg Chieftain

The more I think about it, the more I feel that the enhancer has to be exclusive to the founder. If not, it would make just war or defender of the faith about the dumbest possible thing to do in a game. The belief would just nullify itself...

4. Zaldrizes

Zaldrizes Warlord

I agree that *should* be the case. I mean, you want to spread your religion, but why the heck would you want Shaka or Genghis to come charging in with Just War? But this would mean that some enhancers apply for other civs while others do not, since in my current game, Itinerant Preacher is the only reason my religion is able to spread to certain cities due to the extra three tiles that OTHER civs' cities are using to spread it.
    The funny thing is I've been searching all around for an answer and everyone seems to have a different answer.
    Anyway, I hope they are indeed belief-specific. Otherwise, you better be the one attacking Shaka!

5. 3drawegroeg

3drawegroeg Chieftain

It's a fair point. I guess that means just war for conquering your neighbors and defender of the faith to save yourself from them.

6. Zaldrizes

Zaldrizes Warlord

Ok, I obsessively combed through a bunch of threads and it seems the consensus is that you're ok picking Just War. Shaka won't get the benefits. If this turns out to be untrue, may Mars be with you. :p

7. Qoma

Qoma Warlord

CS coups:

How do you stage a coup in a CS? How do you stop a coup? A coup is different from a spy rigging an election, right? (which I know how to do).

8. ExtermicideN7

ExtermicideN7 Chieftain

To stage a coup you need a CS to have an ally that is not you and a spy in the city. Coup can be performed via special button in spying menu. Coup is an instant event: it is performed the same moment you activate it. Coup almost nulifies the influnce of other civs and drastically adds to yours (you are guaranteed to be CS's new ally). To stage a coup you need a high enough influence (with 0 influnce you have no chance). Higher your influence - higher your chances of succes. Upon succes your spy won't leave CS and continue rigging elections. If he fails the coup, he dies and your relationship with CS drops to or below 0 (do not know exact numbers).

9. wcbarney

wcbarney Know-it-all

If the CS is someone else's ally and you have a spy there, then there is a "Coup" button which will become active. Click the Coup button and a window will open which will enlighten you of the chances of success. If the coup succeeds then the other civ's influence goes away completely and the CS becomes your ally. If the coup fails then your spy will die.

Personally, I don't attempt a coup unless I have at least a 75% chance of pulling it off successfully. Giving a little more :c5gold: to the CS will improve your chances of a successful coup. More :c5gold: to the CS (i.e., greater influence in that CS) will also help stop a coup, but won't completely eliminate the threat.

10. Qoma

Qoma Warlord

Cool, thanks guys :)

Another one - are internal trade routes a flat increase in production or food, or do they simply transfer production or food from one city to another? (IE: benefit one city but hurt the city that food is being traded from)

11. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

The food and hammers are manufactured out of the clear blue sky. All are given to the destination city, but none are taken from the sending city.

12. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

Exactly as Browd says - the only thing you lose is the trade route slot. Using another trade unit, you can even create an opposing trade route that brings food back the other way, making both cities grow faster while feeding the other.

13. ExtermicideN7

ExtermicideN7 Chieftain

Do developers occasionaly visit these forums? Or is Ideas Section an Empire of the smoky skies in internet representation? (i.e. fantasy land)

14. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

Yes they do, they have the "Firaxian" logo and title.

15. 3drawegroeg

3drawegroeg Chieftain

Does representation in the liberty tree apply retroactively to cities founded before the policy was taken, or only to cities founded after the policy is chosen?

16. Browd

Retroactive, but only for future policies, so no "rebate" on the cost of prior policies.

17. 3drawegroeg

3drawegroeg Chieftain

Thanks, that was quick!

18. Yibbledorf

Yibbledorf Babylon blue is pretty

If I upgrade a unit into a UU that comes with a promotion e.g musketmen into Caroleans, will that unit automatically get the promotion?

19. Browd

Yes it will

20. Khal Drogo

Khal Drogo Chieftain

How do I know with which city-states and countries I will be able to trade? Of course I could check the caravan or the ship as soon as it comes back, but there has to be something else to check that, right? I have another 3-4 unused trade routes, but I don't want to spend money on a cargo ship with no destination.