1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Mark_Randell

Mark_Randell Chieftain

Am I right in saying that second and subsequent cities take longer to produce units slower than the capital?

2. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Not necessarily. It's purely a matter of relative production. You can have a production-starved capital and a production-rich secondary city.

3. Mark_Randell

Mark_Randell Chieftain

thanks, also if you install a mod does that change the game forever? or can you revert back, I did read something about steam not recognizing the achievements if you do have mods on??

4. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

You actually have to go into the mod section to start a game with that mod (after turning it on).

Once the game is saved you can load it from main menu and it will see that a mod is needed and load it. (Load would be disabled if in the mean time you [or steam workshop] deleted the mod)
    Yes, mods also disables progress towards achievements.

5. Mark_Randell

Mark_Randell Chieftain

Is it worth it at this stage as I'm getting to grips with the game anyway? I guess most people with be heading over to BE anyway shortly but I hope there will still be support available for us 'newbies'?

6. joncnunn

Considering that there were 8 threads in Civ IV General Discussions updated since midnight my time, I think you don't have anything to worry about.

7. rover6695

rover6695 Prince

I was surprised to learn Stealth bombers can't be placed on any naval ship.

8. joncnunn

That would be realistic as it needs more space to land than is available on an aircraft carrier. (However, if going for realism, the Steath Bomber can bomb a target halfway around the world in 24 hours via air to air refueling.)

9. rover6695

rover6695 Prince

Oh...is there a way to know when the WC is about to hold a SS entering a new era?

I know either one civ must be two eras ahead or at least half the civs must be in the current era (ex. WC in Ren era...4 of 8 civs in I era...so WC goes to Iera).

I'd like to know how I can check the era status of all civs that way I can be prepared. Nothing like finding out only to know if you bought a CS you'd be in the lead for host.

10. joncnunn

Diplomacy : Right tab will tell you what era everybody is in (along with what wonders they've built, who they are at war with, who they are friends with, who they've denounced, etc.)

11. rover68

rover68 Chieftain

1)
    If you capture and puppet a city, science cost goes up 5%.
    If you annex, social policy cost goes up 10% in addition to science.

If you puppet/annex but then either lose the city by war OR trade it to another civ, do you still have those penalties?

2) Say an AI places a Citadel at your border, taking away a few of your tiles.
    You then capture the AI city with that territory, then go to your city, and lock the previously stolen tiles.

If you lose or trade the captured AI city away, is there anyway to assure you do not lose those tiles again?
    I thought if I manually locked the stolen tiles, they would be "Chicago's" if the AI city changed hands.

Is removing the citadel, then building your own citadel in that spot, then trading that city sufficient to keep the tiles?

So stupid, because if so, you then suffer a DP.

12. joncnunn

Yes. But in this case if capture it back / capture a new one or found a new one it won't increase.

I don't think the game actually remembers how the civ got each tile. It's probably going to go back to using closet city and breaking ties in favor of the earliest founded.

13. rawrkitty2

rawrkitty2 Chieftain

I want to play a sp game with a friend taking over one of the AI, is this possible?

14. joncnunn

Moderator Action: Is is possible to convert a SP save to MP merged

15. joncnunn

Sorry, it is not possible to change a game that started as SP to MP.

16. rawrkitty2

rawrkitty2 Chieftain

Damn okay thanks

17. DreaderVII

DreaderVII Chieftain

Got a bug, can't post in bugs. What do I do?

18. Browd

19. Peter Sagan

Peter Sagan Warlord

Does the Porcelain Tower also boost science generation from Research Agreements that are already been made before it was constructed, but are still in progress?

20. Browd

Yes. You get the PT bonus as long as PT is completed before the RA matures.