Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Tiberiu

Tiberiu Prince

I have a question. Does Scholars in Residence affect spy stealing rate? The spies stealing rate has an interesting formula, and the way it works has into account the costs of technologies and how fast the targeted civ can get enough science to get that tech. I am wondering if having passed Scholars in Residence, an interesting side effect would be to also speed up the rate at which spies can steal. If so, then Scholars in Residence + Industrial Espionage from Autocracy can be an interesting combo in games where for some reason you were left behind in techs a bit.

The reason I ask this question is because I am unsure if the game uses original tech cost for spy stealing rate, or the adjusted cost that is based on how many civs have discovered the tech + scholars in residence, if it is passed.

2. psparky

psparky Prince

I've recently been debugging the code in this area and from what I saw, spy rates are using the adjusted tech costs.

Nizef, Tiberiu and vadalaz like this.
  3. beetle

beetle Deity

@Tiberlu, I hope you will report back what you find. As I understand the mechanics, turns-to-discover is determined when your spy lands in the AI city. Industrial Espionage takes effect immediately, but Scholars in Residence might not. So you might have to replant your Spy to see if it makes a difference.

4. DukeCivStarcon

DukeCivStarcon Chieftain

Longtime Civer, haven't been on any too recently. Got a question for advanced CIV5 players: Does CIV5 have a Diplomacy improvement mod or some way to adjust the (grievously annoying) foreign leader deal screen spam? I mean they removed a crucial component up to CIV 2 at least imo, which is a consent component to meeting with an AI leader. Moreover the spam deal-offering is just so annoying.

PS Every stategic and gameplay step away from CIV2 / CTP has been a) questionable or b) in the wrong direction imo. In fact, I'm making that my new tagline

5. beetle

beetle Deity

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and your gaming preferences. But it seems to me that if there was any market demand whatsoever for something that played like Civ II CTP, it would be easy enough to find and buy.

That said, have you tried Free Civ? If so, what is Free Civ missing such that it is not exactly what you are looking for?

I have read other complaints about the frequent dialogs from the AI, so maybe ask your mod question in the Creation & Customization forum?

6. DukeCivStarcon

DukeCivStarcon Chieftain

CIV 2 MGE and Call to Power respectively did reasonably well. Actually CIV 2 was one of the best-selling games of all time. I think the closest they came to that again is with CIV 5 (which I generally find worthwhile otherwise.) Took them 10 years to refine it to a point it was playable and had enough content to justify buying though. Not sure about 6, kinda lost interest by that point. It's become The [100% CGI] Sims on Sim World, with Cultural Theming and essentially Participation Victory paths. No thanks.

I have tried FreeCiv a few years back. It was awfully primitive. CIV 2 MGE is what I'm looking for. It has music controls. How the heck do they get away with not letting you choose or skip tracks in CIV5? Really?

Call to Power was late-coming when released in a market that was getting more crowded. It did well but the sequel wasn't much.

As for quick answers I don't find any in your post, but thanks for trying. If anybody else knows if there is a kill-switch for Diplomacy spam in Civ 5, let me know. Thanks

7. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

8. DukeCivStarcon

DukeCivStarcon Chieftain