Quick Questions and Answers

Is there a way to skip turns in BNW? I want to like Civ V, I really do, but I hate having to go through all my units and tell them to fortify or sleep to advance a turn. Civ III had a shift+tab option to skip turns but this doesnt seem to work on Civ V BNW. If there's not a keybind, is there a mod maybe that anyone knows of or someway to get around it?

@Dublinaut what difficulty level are you playing at? You really should not have that many idle units. Workers constantly need micromanagement. Scouts should be unfogging the map. Military units should be garrisoned, hunting barbs, or at war.

That said, I think either Shift-Enter or Ctrl-Enter forces the end of the turn.

EDIT: Nope, I can't seem to find a keystroke to force the end of the turn.

Last edited:
hello -

Been playing Civ 5 again. I believe there is a hot key that would allow you to see the path of your trade routes on the map. Very helpful to protect your routes from roaming barbarians.

Is there a list of all the hot keys for the game? This one is pretty obscure.

thanks

Hi all.......

It has been awhile, I hope everyone is safe and well in these crazy times. I bought Civ VI really cheap, but have decided to stick with Civ V for now.....

So, just a quick one. I have 260 gold and would like to buy a building Colosseum which costs 240, but it is telling me I don't have enough gold. In fact, I get the same message for all the buildings to buy except, strangely enough, a shrine, which costs more at 250!!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - really don't get it. I have tried to Google the answer, but no luck....thanks in advance... :)

I have some keshiks at level 12, and close to earning another promotion. But I don't think there are any promotions left. Do I have to insta-heal them to keep from locking up the game? What if they are at 100% health already? (I just finished the game, I might "just one more turn" to find out)

It would be nice to unlock Indirect Fire, but I don't think they can earn that except in the Rise of the Mongols scenario. OTOH, I have actual artillery and battleships now; the keshiks are mostly for harassment at this point.

I believe there is a hot key that would allow you to see the path of your trade routes on the map.
Not a hot key, but one of the map display settings. The “Toggle map options menu on/off”, then radio button for “Trade Routes”.
I have 260 gold and would like to buy a building Colosseum which costs 240, but it is telling me I don't have enough gold...
Can you post screen shot? I think you are reading something wrong. Colosseum should be more than 240 gold. That might be the hammers you will need.
I have some keshiks at level 12, and close to earning another promotion. But I don't think there are any promotions left. Do I have to insta-heal them to keep from locking up the game?
The game will not lock up, but yes, the promotion goes to waste. When this happens to me, I pull them back until I can upgrade them (to start on melee promotions). Calvary (probably Landships in your your case) with Logistics and March are quite nice!

Last edited:
Getting back into the game after a while, and after adding BNW --- trade routes
I created a bunch of Caravans for trading on my continent. I would like to substitute Cargo Ships, so that I can trade with the other continent.
Is there any way to convert them? Or should I delete the Caravan when it comes up for renewal, and build a new Cargo Ship to fill the slot?

Getting back into the game after a while, and after adding BNW --- trade routes
I created a bunch of Caravans for trading on my continent. I would like to substitute Cargo Ships, so that I can trade with the other continent.
Is there any way to convert them? Or should I delete the Caravan when it comes up for renewal, and build a new Cargo Ship to fill the slot?

No you can't convert them. Either delete the caravan (or wait for a barbarian to plunder it) so you can build a cargo ship, or wait until you research something that gives you another trade route.

No you can't convert them. Either delete the caravan (or wait for a barbarian to plunder it) so you can build a cargo ship, or wait until you research something that gives you another trade route.
If I declare war on my same-land-mass trading partner, it appears that the caravans are lost also. I can rebuild them as cargo ships.

In my current game, I am facing the problem that I don't get gold from Tithe. Although my capital (Munich) has 11 followers which should give me 2 GPT. Are there any strings attached to Tithe that I am unaware of?
I'm playing with the mods The Enlightenment Era (v 7), Community Patch (v 94), FAA and some of JFDs Civs.
Spoiler :
TitheBug.png

Digging up antiquities sites, I found one where another Civ had conquered a city state. I was given the option of creating an artifact for the Civ, or for the City State. Is one more valuable than the other? Seems that City State artifacts would be rarer ... do they generate more Tourism?

Digging up antiquities sites, I found one where another Civ had conquered a city state. I was given the option of creating an artifact for the Civ, or for the City State. Is one more valuable than the other? Seems that City State artifacts would be rarer ... do they generate more Tourism?

All artifacts generate the same amount of culture and tourism by default. But! If you 'theme' your museum you can get a significant bonus. In order to theme a museum you need to have three artifacts that are all from the same time period, but from different civilizations (each city state counts as a different civilization, and the barbarians count as one too).
Edit: ignore me, this is advice for Civ VI.

Last edited:
In order to theme a museum you need to have three artifacts

Charlie is wrong on this one, museum has only 2 slots... also, there are multiple ways to get theming bonus that are described in game in the tool tip, they can be yours same era or from other civs same era. Other Wonders have different requirements, you can easily read them in-game, they have tool tip. Also they don't have to be artifacts they can be works of art.

Charlie is wrong on this one, museum has only 2 slots... also, there are multiple ways to get theming bonus that are described in game in the tool tip, they can be yours same era or from other civs same era. Other Wonders have different requirements, you can easily read them in-game, they have tool tip. Also they don't have to be artifacts they can be works of art.

Woah, this is the Civ V forum? What am I doing here? :crazyeye:

They are worth the same. However it is normally easier to match the artifact to attract a theming bonus as you can pair thim with any Civ of the same era.

However you mention creating an "artifact for the city state" rather than "of the city state"- if you create a landmark site in the land of the city state they like you but you don't get to keep it.

They are worth the same. However it is normally easier to match the artifact to attract a theming bonus as you can pair them with any Civ of the same era.

However you mention creating an "artifact for the city state" rather than "of the city state"- if you create a landmark site in the land of the city state they like you but you don't get to keep it.

You're right, that was a typo. It was "of the city state." A "Vancouverite" artifact; Vancouver had been razed by the other civ.

Top Bottom