Quick Questions and Answers

Thanks... for some reason I'm not seeing it in the clutter, but I'm sure it's there somewhere.

I went ahead and took his first remaining city, and it didn't have it, so I had to exterminate him, but s'all good, at this point the only "friends' I have left anyway are the other 2 warmongers (Alex and Hiawatha) who are too busy butchering the other AI to care that I'm butchering AI too, so the diplo hit just made guarded people more guarded. ;)

glad to help

im going for a culture victory at the moment. i want to raze my neighbours cities, but will that increase the culture cost of my policies? no

I converted policy from liberty to autocracy however i went into anarchy and my happiness has dropped to minus 200. How long will the anarchy and reduced unhappiness last?

I converted policy from liberty to autocracy however i went into anarchy and my happiness has dropped to minus 200. How long will the anarchy and reduced unhappiness last?
Interesting. I believe that the unhappiness is a result of the anarchy. I can't tell you for sure how long the Anarchy will last as I believe that it depends on game speed. I've never gone through Anarchy in my Civ5 games because I rarely shift my game focus. I either stick with domination or cultural.

Does anyone know how to set the default "on" game options for new games, i.e. "no barbarians" or "allow policy saving"? I found a line in the config.ini file:

;Game Options
GameOptions = EMPTY

That suggests it is possible to enable some by default, but the proper syntax of changes escapes me.

1 Turn Anarchy in Standart speed. Dunno about the unhappiness though. The loss may be due to lost boni from liberty

I have a few quick questions.

I know that experience from barbarians caps at 30, but I've always hated that. I read a post about a month ago where someone posted the instructions for editing the XML files to change the cap, but I'm a bit of a noob in that area.

1) Could someone post a quick file description of how to edit the XML files.

2) Does editing XML files interfere with my ability to gain achievements like using a mod does?

3) What if I play a MP game after editing the XML file? Does the raised/abolished cap apply to only me, all players, or no one? I have no desire to accidentally cheat.

Thanks in advance.

~R~

I know that experience from barbarians caps at 30, but I've always hated that. I read a post about a month ago where someone posted the instructions for editing the XML files to change the cap, but I'm a bit of a noob in that area.

2) Does editing XML files interfere with my ability to gain achievements like using a mod does?

3) What if I play a MP game after editing the XML file? Does the raised/abolished cap apply to only me, all players, or no one? I have no desire to accidentally cheat.

Thanks in advance.

~R~
First of all, Welcome to CFC! [party]

For your questions, I'd suggest looking in the C&C forums if you don't get an answer here for them. I think that the best place to find your answers there would be in the Modding Tutorials and Reference Subforum (It should be at the top of the Subforum list).

Good luck, and welcome to CFC!

I´m still confused about the submarine.
It clearly says that subs can only be spotted by other subs or destroyers, now every time I approach the enemy coast they keep bombing my subs.
Has this bug been solved yet?

What is air sweep?

I have swept numerous cities with no result yet every time I fly my stealth bomber in they fire rockets. Also it doesn't seem to destroy the enemy fighters.

What is air sweep?

I have swept numerous cities with no result yet every time I fly my stealth bomber in they fire rockets. Also it doesn't seem to destroy the enemy fighters.
That's probably because they don't have any fighters. Any action against a unit from the air get defended against.
Spoiler My Rant Against Air Comabat Mechanics :
But I have a serious issue with some units (Pikemen and such) defending successfully against air strikes. I mean, are those spears several miles in length? Seriously, get rid of stupid stuff like that. I can see infantry firing machine guns at fighters, but pikemen? :dubious:

Thanks in advance.

~R~

1) Early on in Civ 5's life, Kael posted a great modding guide. Check out the C&C forums as has already been suggested, the mod guide is a good place to start.

2) Directly editing the game's XML files is not recommended. While you can do this, and play with the modified game, Steam seems to periodically update the game, even when you tell it not to (unless you're completely in offline mode, of course. Then the updates just happen as soon as you re-connect). The better route is to make a mod with your change(s). The downside is playing games from the mod menu does not track Steam achievements.

3) I'm not exactly sure what would happen if you edited the game source and tried to play multiplayer. Most likely Steam would update your game back to the official version and all your changes would be lost. Other possible outcomes are buggy and unpredictable behavior, game crashes, frequent out of sync timeouts, and general frustration. Of course that is my experience with multiplayer without changing anything, so you might be okay with that. It is not currently possible to run MP games with an actual mod, a sore point for many.

But I have a serious issue with some units (Pikemen and such) defending successfully against air strikes. I mean, are those spears several miles in length? Seriously, get rid of stupid stuff like that. I can see infantry firing machine guns at fighters, but pikemen? :dubious:

If it helps you sleep better, think of it as wear and tear on your planes for just running the bombing mission. I've never seen pikemen (or much other than AA) do more than 1 damage, and after a few (well okay, 10 or 15) sorties my jets all have air repair, so it doesn't matter any more.

What is air sweep?

Air sweep only has an effect on units that intercept, which include (jet) fighters set to intercept, and nearby AA and SAM units. It's not something I use generally, but my understanding is your air sweep engages any interceptors present with their full combat strength (instead of their "weak" attack against ground targets), taking less damage than they would on a bombing run, and doing more damage to intercepting fighters. Each unit can only intercept one strike per turn (without promotions to the contrary), so the theory is you sweep in a few fighters to take those hits, then send in your bombers. The rocket attacks you are seeing are not interceptions, but the defense of the city itself, which always (?) deals damage to attacking units, though much less than if the attack is intercepted.

Does air sweep destroy enemy fighters which are not set to intercept?

I air swept a city which I know has an enemy fighter. The sweep said no resistance met yet on the next turn the enemy fighter sank one of my subs.

I feel so lame asking that, but... How u take a screenshot? (mac user) :blush:

I feel so lame asking that, but... How u take a screenshot? (mac user) :blush:
If you're using OSX, then it should be Cmd + Shift + 3, but you can check system preferences and change it if you like. If you're using Windows 7, then I think it's FN + Shift + F11. The screenshot should go into the designated Civ5 folder.

Top Bottom