Quick Questions / Quick Answers

While this is clear to me now, maybe CS AI should be taught that if they fail this quest, they are doomed? Because now they seem to care less than player.

Is the AI getting big bonuses to food? Sorry if it was discussed before, googling didnt help much ...

Problem is that in my game the Ottomans (for example, this applies to all AI) has insanely large cities, much bigger than mine.
I just dont understand how a tundra city surrounded by only 2 food resources (fish) can have 36 pop while my city which has wheat, sheep and fish (and its not on tundra) is only 27 pop (i also have a caravan bringing food to it)

Same game, different AI, city on the coast, desert, 48 pop. Just doesnt seem right. This guy is building wonders faster than I can type it!

EDIT: Prince diff.

Is the AI getting big bonuses to food? Sorry if it was discussed before, googling didnt help much ...

Problem is that in my game the Ottomans (for example, this applies to all AI) has insanely large cities, much bigger than mine.
I just dont understand how a tundra city surrounded by only 2 food resources (fish) can have 36 pop while my city which has wheat, sheep and fish (and its not on tundra) is only 27 pop (i also have a caravan bringing food to it)

Same game, different AI, city on the coast, desert, 48 pop. Just doesnt seem right. This guy is building wonders faster than I can type it!

EDIT: Prince diff.

And do they influence culturaly some of neighbours? if so how much? they can can get pretty nice % to pop grow if they trade with some influenced civs. also do they have allied maritime cs?

While this is clear to me now, maybe CS AI should be taught that if they fail this quest, they are doomed? Because now they seem to care less than player.

i dont think they dont care.they can effectively care about some few wawes, but due to Ai logic( escape with injured units), they rather escape with all units for example in 10th turn of raiding quest, than fight. Often they embark units and just AFK there, bcoz they cannot fight,they cannot heal....sometimes they just fortify without healing. But i have experienced another weird thing. CS in my very near neigbourhood that is having for example 6 units in 100 turn, have for no reason 2 units in turn 150(just for example). So i wonder if it is bug, or they dismiss units if they are gold low, or whatever.

And do they influence culturaly some of neighbours? if so how much? they can can get pretty nice % to pop grow if they trade with some influenced civs. also do they have allied maritime cs?

The Ottomans, yes, they are influencing some people ... as for city states i dont think he has any, most of them are taken by Austria and Me.

But its not just the Ottomans, Germany has cities mostly on snow or tundra (i pushed him back in a war) and is the weakest in the game, has no city states and is being influenced by me and the Ottomans, his influence is practically 0 and yet most of his cities are larger than mine.

I've seen this thing in almost all AIs, they seem to be growing their cities like crazy while also managing to pump out lots of units ... I know the AI gets some bonuses at various difficulty levels but sometimes its just insane and doesnt make much sense.

Hello all!

So after playing Civ5 for almost 200 hours I decided, for the first time, to try some mods and found yours. Since I can't find any FAQ thread here, I have some questions (they're propably noobish, but like I said I just started using mods):

- so if I've installed only latest core/CP version of this mod, do I have to go through ingame "mods" menu (and set up singleplayer game from there) every time I want to play it, or does it also work with normal singleplayer menu?

- can steam achievements be obtained while using this mod?

- is "settler" difficulty really the old "prince"? Cause I've played one game on "chieftain" (old "king" I guess) as a science civ against 10 warmongering nations, and they weren't a threat at all (even to each other). Or are difficuly level changes exclusively available with CBP, and not with CP only?

Thanks for the work you've put into this mod guys!

i dont think they dont care.they can effectively care about some few wawes, but due to Ai logic( escape with injured units), they rather escape with all units for example in 10th turn of raiding quest, than fight. Often they embark units and just AFK there, bcoz they cannot fight,they cannot heal....sometimes they just fortify without healing. But i have experienced another weird thing. CS in my very near neigbourhood that is having for example 6 units in 100 turn, have for no reason 2 units in turn 150(just for example). So i wonder if it is bug, or they dismiss units if they are gold low, or whatever.

Yeah, but if CS has long borders to reach some resource or some attractive tile, they often cluster near city and leave that lonely barbarian roaming, only to fail in 2-3 turns to taht single unit they were unable too lazy to kill. Happened to me three times in recent games, mostly in forest/snow terrain, where I was unable to get to to help (because of clusters of CS near city).
Maybe with doom incoming (if AI understand this concept) CS should potentially suffer some loses to save themselves?

About units not healing, it's curious, happened to me many times as well.

all at all, barbarians seem to me like lifeless,unnature stuff in game. i think they would gain more love. about cs and raid quest. i think CSs are not intended to be able safe themselves. but as you said, with last 10 hp unit is just unnature and weird.

Barbs can give you unlimited XP if you change the option in the:
"\(2) Community Balance Overhaul\Balance Changes\CoreDefines.sql".
Code:
UPDATE Defines SET Value = 'value' WHERE Name = 'BARBARIAN_MAX_XP_VALUE';
Change the "value" to whatever you want. I set it to 1000 to effectively be unlimited.

Code:
Change the "value" to whatever you want. I set it to 1000 to effectively be unlimited.

Thanks! I just wonder why that isn't default. If you get swarmed by barbarians you should get stronger soldiers to compensate.

Thanks! I just wonder why that isn't default. If you get swarmed by barbarians you should get stronger soldiers to compensate.
Want an RP-reason or a gameplay reason? I'll provide you with both.

Game-play reason: Stopping the exploit of farming barbarians for experience (Surrounding camps without clearing them and just keep bashing spawning barbs for unlimited experience)

RP reason: Barbarians are uncivilized and lack any form of strategy. There is only so much you can learn of swordsmanship from butchering pigs the same way over and over again.

Want an RP-reason or a gameplay reason? I'll provide you with both.

Game-play reason: Stopping the exploit of farming barbarians for experience (Surrounding camps without clearing them and just keep bashing spawning barbs for unlimited experience)

RP reason: Barbarians are uncivilized and lack any form of strategy. There is only so much you can learn of swordsmanship from butchering pigs the same way over and over again.
I really like that RP reason. I'm going to justify being lazy with it. :D

about hotel/Stadium and other buildings that "converts" culture from field to tourism, does it work on any improvement (great people, songhai riverland, luxury ressources) or does it work only on listed improvement (moai, chateau and forget about the last one) ?

thx !

about hotel/Stadium and other buildings that "converts" culture from field to tourism, does it work on any improvement (great people, songhai riverland, luxury ressources) or does it work only on listed improvement (moai, chateau and forget about the last one) ?

thx !
On unique improvements that yield culture, that's it. Now, Terrace Farm should have been added as it has now some culture, but Gazebo may have forgotten.

@Hemaka, code99

Difficulty has been increased, yes, but mostly from AI improvements. You are now playing against something that knows tricks from experienced players. If you are new to the game, even Settler difficulty is going to prove a challenge. Most people here play on Prince-Emperor.

AI gets free yields every Age scaling on difficulty (can't say if this is true with raw CP, I always play VoxPopuli (now, go and play Vox Populi, it's so much better)). But the difference comes from your inability to grow faster, mostly due to inexperience. To get bigger cities, you need Tradition policy tree (every policy grant a growth bonus and GP improvements yield +1 food), and focus on Merchants, Great Prophets (they yield plenty of food from improvements) and trade routes (increase growth from influenced civs). Then, some pantheons give some extra food or growth. Coastal cities with some sea resources are great for growing. And don't forget to build big farm clusters (that's usually +2 food to some tiles).
The problem with all that people is that they become unhappy (unless you are succesful spreading a religion with pacifism or something like that, so check on strategies for being happy). Most players can stand even a 20 unhappiness for long periods, but production suffers (this is hoping for a better late game, after Public Schools, where big population begins to yield pasively).
Even with all in your favor, some AI just snowballs (their uniques are better for growing or has access to better resources). It is for the player to know how to stop those AI before they become unstoppable (usually raids, more often diplomatic actions, sometimes conquests).

It is posible to get achievements, playing with the multiplayer version (the one that doesn't require to start from the MODS menu).

tu_79

Thanks for shedding some light on how things work. Im playing on Price diff 98% of the time and feel comfortable here even tho i have to deal with huge ai cities and huge armies that the ai can apparently deploy while also maintaining a very positive gold income (story for anothe thread :D)

We (me and my brother) are playing the latest MP version of VP, the one that goes to the DLC folder.

tu_79

Thanks for shedding some light on how things work. Im playing on Price diff 98% of the time and feel comfortable here even tho i have to deal with huge ai cities and huge armies that the ai can apparently deploy while also maintaining a very positive gold income (story for anothe thread :D)

We (me and my brother) are playing the latest MP version of VP, the one that goes to the DLC folder.
Needless to say, if you cannot beat the Prince AI, lower difficulty until you get the ropes of it. Aaand, even if you think you are doing well, wait until you actually win (or definitely lose), there are some surprises later (turns 300+).

Code:
-1 is unlimited :)

Also, there is a topic "How do YOU customise CBP?" and Wario Mario made a minimod which helps with customizing without editing files every Vox Populi update. If you open .sql file of his minimod, there are comments added to the edits, so you can know what it does and delete what you don't like.
But it's just for border expansion changes. There was a bigger mod earlier, but some things didn't work and after new versions of Vox Populi was released, some things are outdated.
You can download this small mod, add to the .sql file what you want, f.e. barbarian unlimited xp :) or faster aircraft animations:
Spoiler :
Code:
-- Barbarians --
--- Unlimited Barbarian EXP ---
UPDATE Defines
SET Value = '-1'
WHERE Name = 'BARBARIAN_MAX_XP_VALUE';
---- This is just the mod "Barbarians - Unlimited Exp" but in SQL
---- From: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=82186217

-- Animations --
--- Makes Planes move faster ---
UPDATE ArtDefine_UnitMemberCombats
SET MoveRate = 2 * MoveRate;

SET TurnRateMin = 2 * TurnRateMin
WHERE MoveRate > 0;

SET TurnRateMax = 2 * TurnRateMax
WHERE MoveRate > 0;
---- This is just the mod "Faster Aircraft Animations". Heck, it was already in SQL!
---- From: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=83056827
---- Or: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=19675

I don't use faster border expansion (only increased maximum city borders), so I also deleted all nerfs.

I also use increased scouts' XP from revealing tiles and more XP from buildings:
Spoiler :
Code:
-- Scout increased XP from revealing Tiles
UPDATE Defines
SET Value = '210'
WHERE Name = 'BALANCE_SCOUT_XP_MAXIMUM';

-- Military Buildings give more XP bonus for units
UPDATE Building_DomainFreeExperiences
SET Experience = '25'
WHERE BuildingType = 'BUILDING_BARRACKS';

SET Experience = '25'
WHERE BuildingType = 'BUILDING_IKANDA';

SET Experience = '25'
WHERE BuildingType = 'BUILDING_ORDER';

SET Experience = '50'
WHERE BuildingType = 'BUILDING_ARMORY';

SET Experience = '70'
WHERE BuildingType = 'BUILDING_MILITARY_ACADEMY';

Forgive me for a long answer with additional info in "Quick Answers" topic, but I just wanted to share it with you, because it has saved a lot of time for me :)

Top Bottom