Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Idk what else to do really, im in early renaissance era and I've built every building that provides defense and/or reduces crime in most of my cities. There is nothing else i can build ... im at 16 unhappiness from which, 15 is just crime ... I even have a wonder or two that reduces crime in all cities ...

Out of 16 unhappiness, 15 is caused by crime??? As Funak says, you are not supposed to have 0 crime, but this seems odd. I'd expect some significant unhappiness caused by poverty and other sources. As matlajs says, it could be a botched install or a mod conflict.

I suggest you tell us more about your game and post screenshots.

Does :c5food:Food from Maritime CS alliances stack or not? I see no info in the City screen how much additional :c5food:Food I have from them.

I personally feel that there are too few ways to fight crime and to some lower extent, poverty. What bothers me the most right now is that I have NOTHING else to build that lowers crime, i have to wait for some new tech later on that gives me a bunch of new buildings. Until then i must stay at 18-10 unhappiness.
  1. What policies do you have?
  2. How many :c5citizen:Citizens are in the city, where the highest crime is?
  3. Do you use JFD's CiD?
  4. Do you have Barracks/Armory/Millitary Academy/Walls in the city? (In the early game, I think Barracks+Walls is the best counter for crime. And garrisoning a unit with high :c5strength:CS also help.
And with VP, gaining :c5happy:Happiness from different sources is more important than in vanilla. Try focus on that rather than countering crime, which is hard (and I like it, iRL is the same). There are a lot of happiness makers: policies, religion beliefs (1 happiness per 6 followers in non-enemy Cities

I would recommend the crime discussion, which is clearly going outside the scope of "quick answers" be put in its own thread.

I cant provide any more details about that game for now, ill have to wait until we resume that game (probably tomorrow) since the saved game is on my brother pc (he is host).

But, from memory, i think i had somewhere around 6 cities, largest being 16 population.

When I said 15 unhappiness was from crime alone i didnt mean thats the only source ... poverty has 3 or 4, religious division has 1 and i think boredom had 1 or 2 but im sure that 15 was crime. It all gets offset by the happiness i am generating and i ends up with a total of 16 unhappiness throughout my empire.

I also havent met (yet) any city states that give happiness. I do not have a great admiral either and expanding to acquire luxuries is problematic since im being "cornered" by 2 allied AI's (my brother is on another continent in his own wars so he cant help me out).

All that being said, I did not know that if you put your troops in cities it reduces crime ...

@Zares yes, all my cities have all the structures that provide defence that i can build.

Does crime work for the AI in the same way as it does for players? I have this one dude that has 9 cities with the largest being a 25 pop city that is generating 34 happiness total and +124 gold per turn which is MUCH more than what me and my brother can do at the moment.

Does :c5food:Food from Maritime CS alliances stack or not? I see no info in the City screen how much additional :c5food:Food I have from them.

From multiple different city-states? It absolutely should, if it doesn't then that's probably a bug.

there are too many factors that i even dont remember all of them. but if you didnt meet any cs yet, it can also mean u didnt find much of natural wonders, which raise happines too. from my experience first is always crime- urbanization. i dont remember if you mented map configuration but anyway you should little more focus on exploration, reveal players and try deal your monopol luxury for anothers. i think lot of players with some games behind already used to not care mutch about unhappines untill they see big diferences turn by turn.

So how do you keep it high in a 20-turn war with 50+ cities in your empire?

If you plan of playing such a game, then you have to plan it from the beginning, with policies which benefit the most from big empires (piety, authority/progress) with religion beliefs and sometimes with right wonders. It's not hard to keep high happiness late game even with such an empire as long as you keep your cities developed.

If you plan of playing such a game, then you have to plan it from the beginning, with policies which benefit the most from big empires (piety, authority/progress) with religion beliefs and sometimes with right wonders. It's not hard to keep high happiness late game even with such an empire as long as you keep your cities developed.

absolutely agree. with some addition that you dont have to annex every single city.puppets can now care about themselves with unhappines. my last game similar to this scenario was with romans. i had problem one time, when they passed world ideology diferent to mine in wc before i influenced them with autocracy.

absolutely agree. with some addition that you dont have to annex every single city.puppets can now care about themselves with unhappines. my last game similar to this scenario was with romans. i had problem one time, when they passed world ideology diferent to mine in wc before i influenced them with autocracy.

Ideology may be a problem, sometimes I have to switch to freedom even if it's the worst ideology in that context.

i have problem with ideology pressure. not with unhhapines itself, but the fact i dont understand how it is counting? for example: me + brazil(autocracy) influenced Poland freedom civ( I influenced them with popular lvl, brazil i think influenced them with familiar = thats 3 swords. But Poland was also influenced by freedom germany by familiar lvl, thats one torch. all at all they had something like -16 unhappines for this. But when i was influenced by one or maybe two, those numbers were higher and diferent, so i dont know that stacking. I know that being pressured by World ideology itself(no civ influenced me but congress) is outgoing to have -60 happines.

How is Caravans' max range calculated? When I'm about to send a Caravan, there is something like:"Range 10 plots", ok. I can send a Caravan to a City State 9 hexes away, but I can't to the another one, which is 8 hexes away.
Spoiler :

I sent the Caravan to the Prague (9 hexes), but couldn't to the Ragusa (8 hexes)
Is it because of desert? Will a road connection help?

And also: Is there any profit from connecting ally City States with roads?

How is Caravans' max range calculated? When I'm about to send a Caravan, there is something like:"Range 10 plots", ok. I can send a Caravan to a City State 9 hexes away, but I can't to the another one, which is 8 hexes away.
Spoiler :

I sent the Caravan to the Prague (9 hexes), but couldn't to the Ragusa (8 hexes)
Is it because of desert? Will a road connection help?

And also: Is there any profit from connecting ally City States with roads?

Small guide here.

I need advice. When i want play sp and have mod instaled + modpack instaled, should i play classic sp without go through Mod'' or should i just remove modpack from DLC and play via Mod? bcoz now i tried start new game via Mods while having modpack in DLC and they seem to have conflict(or i suppose its conflict fo those) bcoz i couldnt improve my coffee resource with plantation and in civpedia in resources overview coffee had two icons of plantations in ,,Improved by''

Hello! I just noticed that while advancing through the game techs, that whenever I got a better unit, say from a Galleas to a Frigate, I would no longer be able to build the Galleas. Which is a problem, since I only have a limited number of Iron, and I kind of depend on my navy bombarding stuff. Is this a bug, or a feature of the game? If it' a feature, is there anyway I may be able to tweak it so that I can still build obsolete units? Or barring such, any tips on how to solve the conundrum?

Thank you very much!

Hello! I just noticed that while advancing through the game techs, that whenever I got a better unit, say from a Galleas to a Frigate, I would no longer be able to build the Galleas. Which is a problem, since I only have a limited number of Iron, and I kind of depend on my navy bombarding stuff. Is this a bug, or a feature of the game? If it' a feature, is there anyway I may be able to tweak it so that I can still build obsolete units? Or barring such, any tips on how to solve the conundrum?

Thank you very much!

If you look at the unit's attributes it will list the technology that makes it obsolete. If you want to keep building it, you'll have to avoid researching that specific tech.

Now that you've already passed that point, your next-best option would probably be make trades to get as much additional iron as possible. Use that to build as many frigates as possible. When the trades expire you'll have negative iron. That should be OK as long as your frigates bombard without taking any damage. They won't be able to heal until you have enough iron again.

Now that you've already passed that point, your next-best option would probably be make trades to get as much additional iron as possible. Use that to build as many frigates as possible. When the trades expire you'll have negative iron. That should be OK as long as your frigates bombard without taking any damage. They won't be able to heal until you have enough iron again.

Oh. I see. :(
I thought might have been a bug or something. Ah. I guess it adds further challenge to the game. Wish I hadn't upgraded to Navigation then. Well, anyway, thank you very much.

I wish in the future we'd be allowed to at least build one tech 'behind' while still being able to upgrade at least part of our navy/army.

maybe conquer some cities with iron? dismiss land siege if you so desperately need ships more? only case you can train obsolete units is with unique ones, which are able to be trained if they are obsoleting by one era.

Oh. I see. :(
I thought might have been a bug or something. Ah. I guess it adds further challenge to the game. Wish I hadn't upgraded to Navigation then. Well, anyway, thank you very much.

I wish in the future we'd be allowed to at least build one tech 'behind' while still being able to upgrade at least part of our navy/army.

Don't worry. After a couple of games you'll get used to it. Get to know what units needs extra resources (iron for swordsman, then for cannons and frigates) and at what tech they appear. It's useful to know what units/buildings share the same resource, so you can plan how to distribute the resource.

Top Bottom