Quick Questions / Quick Answers

With more than 2000 hours of gametime I never lost my Capital, so while making some tests for a personal modmod I was surprised to see that the free Tradition buildings didn't transfert with the Palace. Is it the intended behaviour or a design oversight ?
Sorry if the issue has already been dicussed before but it feel weird that so many bonus can be permanently lost.
Sounds like a bug you could report.

Im playing as germany and aztecs is 8 tiles from my capital, luckily no forests anywhere. Is this a good authority pick? It will probably be easier to take him out early. What do i rush, horsemen or swordsman? could i also pick progress? Gonna aim for terracotta army and i have 3 mercantile city states nearby that i can heavy tribute to get it.

Im playing as germany and aztecs is 8 tiles from my capital, luckily no forests anywhere. Is this a good authority pick? It will probably be easier to take him out early. What do i rush, horsemen or swordsman? could i also pick progress? Gonna aim for terracotta army and i have 3 mercantile city states nearby that i can heavy tribute to get it.

What difficulty are you on and what speed? Those matter because Marathon actually gives you quite a bit of options for early wars while Standard means you might have to bid your time a bit more. Progress might be rough for you since Aztecs normally go Authority and he'll have a decent army. Regarding what you want to rush, the two depends heavily on a couple of things. You'll know if you have Horses or not sooner than Iron. With Swordsmen, I'm curious why you don't consider Spearman. You can beeline for Statue of Zeus and that will make your life easier in attacking cities. Spearmen aren't that bad as they don't need resources and the Aztecs have no forests/jungles to work with. However, Spearman do rely on Archer support to be the most effective.

What difficulty are you on and what speed? Those matter because Marathon actually gives you quite a bit of options for early wars while Standard means you might have to bid your time a bit more. Progress might be rough for you since Aztecs normally go Authority and he'll have a decent army. Regarding what you want to rush, the two depends heavily on a couple of things. You'll know if you have Horses or not sooner than Iron. With Swordsmen, I'm curious why you don't consider Spearman. You can beeline for Statue of Zeus and that will make your life easier in attacking cities. Spearmen aren't that bad as they don't need resources and the Aztecs have no forests/jungles to work with. However, Spearman do rely on Archer support to be the most effective.

Immortal and standard. Indeed he will probably go authority. Horses have more CS than spearman and jaguars dont have bonus vs mounted right? I guess the best thing to get is animal husbandry to see if i can connect some easy horses, then go spearmen if not. Or just beeline spearmen from the get-go and heavy tribute CS around me. I will delay my early war by connecting horses (unless i settle on them). Maybe rushing horses for early war is not that effective anymore

Immortal and standard. Indeed he will probably go authority. Horses have more CS than spearman and jaguars dont have bonus vs mounted right? I guess the best thing to get is animal husbandry to see if i can connect some easy horses, then go spearmen if not. Or just beeline spearmen from the get-go and heavy tribute CS around me. I will delay my early war by connecting horses (unless i settle on them). Maybe rushing horses for early war is not that effective anymore

Jaguars don't have bonus vs mounted. As for getting animal husbandry, that will delay your spearmen quite a bit if you don't have any horses. In addition, when do you think you can get Workers? If you can steal one from Aztecs early on, then that can work but getting easy horses is very rng dependent. With only 8 tiles with no forests, spearmen and Status of Zeus (which you can speed up with heavy tributes) with some Archers can help you a lot. Don't forget that you get a free Barracks from that Wonder so getting Drill I can make a difference too. Horses aren't that bad if you know you can get them and there's more rough terrain. Moving Spearmen through rough terrain means the AI has a better chance at getting Swordsmen and really halt your attack.

I accepted a deal for joint war, but needed 10 turns to prepare. The war never triggered for me after the 10 turns were up, but I'm assuming it's because the AI that asked me didn't wait (Danes with no patience), and had already begun attacking a few turns after the deal. Is this the case?

I accepted a deal for joint war, but needed 10 turns to prepare. The war never triggered for me after the 10 turns were up, but I'm assuming it's because the AI that asked me didn't wait (Danes with no patience), and had already begun attacking a few turns after the deal. Is this the case?

I had a case where the game doesn't register it. I couldn't declare war on that target of the joint war after the 10 turns so I had to reload an earlier save and declare war. I don't know if it's a known bug or not.

I had a case where the game doesn't register it. I couldn't declare war on that target of the joint war after the 10 turns so I had to reload an earlier save and declare war. I don't know if it's a known bug or not.
I was still able to declare war, it just didn't trigger after the 10 turns like it was supposed to.

I encountered the same situation with the last Novembe beta: I agreed with Darius (we had a Defense Pact) to prepare for attacking India, then 4 turns later he began the war by himself and he totally forget my promise. I believe this is working as intended, he is the one who changed the terms of the deal after all, I decided to honor my part 10 days latter than what we decided, in the end he didn't mind me taking my time.

Jaguars don't have bonus vs mounted. As for getting animal husbandry, that will delay your spearmen quite a bit if you don't have any horses. In addition, when do you think you can get Workers? If you can steal one from Aztecs early on, then that can work but getting easy horses is very rng dependent. With only 8 tiles with no forests, spearmen and Status of Zeus (which you can speed up with heavy tributes) with some Archers can help you a lot. Don't forget that you get a free Barracks from that Wonder so getting Drill I can make a difference too. Horses aren't that bad if you know you can get them and there's more rough terrain. Moving Spearmen through rough terrain means the AI has a better chance at getting Swordsmen and really halt your attack.

That makes sense, good reasoning. What if my neighbour was greece instead and same location? My spearmen will be crushed, also horsemen. Perhaps rush walls and then swordsmen?

That makes sense, good reasoning. What if my neighbour was greece instead and same location? My spearmen will be crushed, also horsemen. Perhaps rush walls and then swordsmen?
If greece is THAT close to me, Im gonna fight him using archer and warrior, deny his second city, capture his workers, pillage his land, or kill him so fast he doesnt have a chance to have hoplite. Or it will be a nightmare.

What do you think of isolated pacal in continents?.I just lost a deity game to him. I'm thinking about banning him... permanently.

What do you think of isolated pacal in continents?.I just lost a deity game to him. I'm thinking about banning him... permanently.
I mean, an isolated Korea on Continents can be just as bad...plenty of civs that can go bonkers if they're isolated. I don't think it warrants banning him altogether.

Anyone have the issue where telling another leader to buzz off doesn't ever trigger a war, even if their text suggests it? I've had this problem for a long ass time and I miss instigating wars without the diplomatic penalty with everyone else.

Anyone have the issue where telling another leader to buzz off doesn't ever trigger a war, even if their text suggests it? I've had this problem for a long ass time and I miss instigating wars without the diplomatic penalty with everyone else.
You mean even in the previous versions? Never happened to me - they either declare or not and text is correct.

You must be very scary to them apparently or they can't DoW(due to a diplomatic condition or whatever)

You must be very scary to them apparently or they can't DoW(due to a diplomatic condition or whatever)

Thing is, this has been going on for a few months. I usually tell them off all the time now because it never starts wars, even if they say they'll cut my tongue out or use their sword or whatever. And this is even when I'm not doing well militarily.

Basically, I don't get the (WAR DECLARED) text under their rebuttal.

Last edited:
My spies seem to get killed a lot on the last turn I would steal a tech. Is this just RNG or is there something for this?

Thing is, this has been going on for a few months. I usually tell them off all the time now because it never starts wars, even if they say they'll cut my tongue out or use their sword or whatever. And this is even when I'm not doing well militarily.

Basically, I don't get the (WAR DECLARED) text under their rebuttal.
In vanilla, a bad opinion was enough for starting a war. In VP, AI logic says that, even if bad opinion pushes to war, there are other considerations. Likely, if AI thinks it cannot win a war against the player, it will contain itself from a direct approach. Instead, it will maneuver with other civs to make the player lose opinion and standing, and maybe it will join joints wars versus the player. In other words, AI gained cunning, you can't fool it so easily anymore.

Top Bottom