Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Thanks for the early answer thunderbird, for some reason I was a 100% sure it was on the right and my brain totally missed it even when I was looking at the left.
It leads me to a second question if you don't mind. If I am not mistaken, it doesn't really block or artificially slow your growth right ? It just rearranges everything so that it naturally grows the slowest possible? I'm asking this because I went a little crazy with food and growth multipliers this game ( social policies, ideologies, 10 officies of the food corporations + food on trade routes etc ...) so that even in the best case possible I produce for example +150 food and all my cities grow so fast even though I get +23 unhapiness and can't build fast enough to compensate.
Sorry for the awful English !

Garden and Bath questions:
Garden's description: City must NOT be built next to a River or Lake. Cannot be built if City already has a Bath, and reqauires an Aqueduct in the City

Baths' description: Temples, Amphitheaters, and Gardens in City:+1 :c5gold: Gold and :c5culture: Culture. +10% :c5culture: Culture in the City during :c5goldenage: Golden Ages.
City must be built next to a River.

1. Why can I build both: Garden and Baths no matter, if a City is built next to a River or not?
  2. I think I can build the Garden, even if I have already built the Baths, but I'm not 100% sure.
  3. So I think it's intended, right? These both buildings to be built in the City? Because of this.
  4. If 2 is false, then I think this is not true, because how both conditions: next to a River (Baths) and NOT next to a River (Gardens) can be true? I mean, in the Baths' description there is mentioned about Gardens' bonus, so...how would it be possible to have both buildings? :p
Is there a way to stop the growth of the city? I remember it being it w/o vox populi but I can't find the option.
Why would you like to stop the growth? Additional :c5citizen: population is always good in VP.

Garden and Bath questions:
Garden's description: City must NOT be built next to a River or Lake. Cannot be built if City already has a Bath, and reqauires an Aqueduct in the City

Baths' description: Temples, Amphitheaters, and Gardens in City:+1 :c5gold: Gold and :c5culture: Culture. +10% :c5culture: Culture in the City during :c5goldenage: Golden Ages.
City must be built next to a River.

1. Why can I build both: Garden and Baths no matter, if a City is built next to a River or not?
  2. I think I can build the Garden, even if I have already built the Baths, but I'm not 100% sure.
  3. So I think it's intended, right? These both buildings to be built in the City? Because of this.
  4. If 2 is false, then I think this is not true, because how both conditions: next to a River (Baths) and NOT next to a River (Gardens) can be true? I mean, in the Baths' description there is mentioned about Gardens' bonus, so...how would it be possible to have both buildings? :p

Why would you like to stop the growth? Additional :c5citizen: population is always good in VP.

But Gardens no longer have any river or non-river prerequisites. They can be built anywhere. Only Baths require fresh water source near the city though, and they simply add +1C +1G to all the three aforementioned buildings.

I am at 23-28 total unhappiness and if I understand the basics, more pop = more needs in culture, defense , literracy and gold = even more unhappiness right ?

Which is the best Game Pace(standard,epic...) to play this mod?

Whichever you feel comfortable with. I think the game is well balanced for all the game speeds. And there is more to do than in vanilla, so the early game does not consist of clicking Next Turn even at the slower speeds. I personally like epic the most.

I am at 23-28 total unhappiness and if I understand the basics, more pop = more needs in culture, defense , literracy and gold = even more unhappiness right ?
Right. So assign Citizens manually to tiles other than/little :c5food: Food until you have City's Food on 0 or less. You can click again on a worked tile, so the :c5citizen: Citizen will be a Labor (+1 :c5production: Production). I usually do these tricks, if I want delay a growth (f.e. to build a Council/University before a new Citizen).

Whichever you feel comfortable with. I think the game is well balanced for all the game speeds. And there is more to do than in vanilla, so the early game does not consist of clicking Next Turn even at the slower speeds. I personally like epic the most.
Yes, epic is awesome :) It punishes more for mistakes and rewards for good planning. And also there is less/no this 1 building/unit per 1 turn production, so wars and Cities management is better. The worst is the Ancient Era, after this it actually feels more like the Standard one. And you can move units and enjoy them more (especially the UUs) before they are obsolete - and this is nice for Large/Huge maps.

Last edited:
What year/turn is considered a strong Science Victory for a Civ with at least some proclivity towards beakers? Just looking for a rough estimate here as I have very little experience with it in Vox. Standard pace, of course.

Thanks for the early answer thunderbird, for some reason I was a 100% sure it was on the right and my brain totally missed it even when I was looking at the left.
It leads me to a second question if you don't mind. If I am not mistaken, it doesn't really block or artificially slow your growth right ? It just rearranges everything so that it naturally grows the slowest possible? I'm asking this because I went a little crazy with food and growth multipliers this game ( social policies, ideologies, 10 officies of the food corporations + food on trade routes etc ...) so that even in the best case possible I produce for example +150 food and all my cities grow so fast even though I get +23 unhapiness and can't build fast enough to compensate.
Sorry for the awful English !
It allow the city governor to select better plots, as you don't want to grow -> less food needed. Also, it prevent your city to grow (so when you are going to unchecked it, many many turn later, your city should grow instantly / at the next turn).

I do it for early game if I am just a few turns away from grabbing the Progress Opener for the science bonus when population grows in Capital. I also do it for cities I had been forced to annex (or accidentally annexed) but plans to raze eventually.

I find that delaying the more advanced types of "granary" buildings as well as manually adjusting tiles worked to be more effective for keeping population growth in check until my happiness can catch up.

Can my workers repair unique improvements from other civs when I capture their cities?

What year/turn is considered a strong Science Victory for a Civ with at least some proclivity towards beakers? Just looking for a rough estimate here as I have very little experience with it in Vox. Standard pace, of course.
Near 400 in standard, it depends on difficulty too. (Taking account of how many resources you needed to prevent other kinds of victory).

Near 400 in standard, it depends on difficulty too. (Taking account of how many resources you needed to prevent other kinds of victory).

Much appreciated. I'll have to try it on Immortal then, because I've been managing a Science Victory with China on turn 320 or so on Emperor.

Can someone please explain about the happiness modifiers that come on city screen when cursor is moved to happiness. Sometimes I can't see them ..it goes below my screen (maybe because my screen max res is 1366*780). Please don't give any tips or strategies..(I want to figure out strats on my own :D) , just what those percentages mean..for eg. Gold need : +93% Capital + 25% etc.

Top Bottom