Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Does 'distress' also take into account the global median?

For example if an AI civ has farms/mines that are producing more food/production than my ones, will that be causing the unhappiness?

How do you spearmen rush if your target is situated in rough terrain like forest or jungle? Not only do you need to rely on hills ( if there are any) for your archers to shoot and support your spears, but it's also harder to move an army through rough terrain.

Should you instead go for mounted units that can more easily maneuver rough terrain? That is, if you think you will have access to horses

Edit: I just tried it a couple times and its useless unless you have an early UU to give you that extra edge. If you go the horse route the AI will probably have spears by then anyway

Last edited:
1700s, 1900s, 1950s, post-2000.

I see. I think you're wrong. Based on the Research Projects and actual widespread usage (instead of scientific discovery), we're looking at:
Modern: 1880s+ (WWI second tier)
Atomic: 1930s+: (interwar 1st tier, WW II second tier)
Information: 1960s+

1st tier Modern:
Electrical Revolution: 1870s+ (Empire State Building: 1931)
Modern Corporations: 1890ish
Statue of Liberty: 1886
Wire Services: 1850s

2nd tier Modern:
Plastics: 1930s
Cristo Redentor: 1931
Radio: 1920s
Multi-tier winged combat aircraft: 1914+ (Prora: 1939)
AA guns / machine guns / etc: 1912+

1st tier Atomic:
application of Penicillin: 1930s
electric refrigerators: 1927
fission research: 1930s
combined arms tactics: 1918 (Pentagon: 1943)
WWII era tanks: 1930s

2nd tier Atomic:
Electronics: ?? (mishmash of things that were in continuous development 1800s-1950s)
Computers: Late 1930s
Aircraft Carriers: 1930s
Bletchley Park: 1938
Bazooka: 1942
Atomic Bomb: 1945
Radar: 1940s
Single-wing aircraft (zeros, B17s etc): late 1930s

1st tier Information:
Sydney: Opera House: 1973
Recycling: 1970s
Solar Plants: 1970s
CN Tower: 1976
Telecommunications in general: 1920s
Satellites: 1960s
Apollo Program: 1960s

2nd tier Information
Jet Fighters: 1960s
Stealth Bombers: 1980-90s
Missile Cruisers: 1980s
Nuclear Subs: 1950s
Hubble Space Telescope: 1990
Internet: 1980s

Hi Fanatics,

How the AI picks it's first social policy branch? (Tradition/Progress/Authority) Randomly? Or the leader personality influences it?

Is there any way to get passed a reproducible CTD during late game on a Huge map?

I know it's a known memory issue, but how do other people play with Huge maps?

I'm using the Perfect World map, in case that is worth mentioning.

Is there any way to get passed a reproducible CTD during late game on a Huge map?

I know it's a known memory issue, but how do other people play with Huge maps?

I'm using the Perfect World map, in case that is worth mentioning.
I occasionally get crashes late game on huge maps. But not during gameplay, crashes during loading a save. So I noticed that in these instances the load is successful on the third attempt.

@steass, it is probably hardware dependent. Are you using any other mods? R.E.D. / Ethnic units and/or the OLD version of FlagPromotions are very memory demanding.

JFYI, I am often playing huge crowded Tectonic (which is higher than standard huge) with a lot extra mods and I am getting no CTDs - ever.

@steass, it is probably hardware dependent. Are you using any other mods? R.E.D. / Ethnic units and/or the OLD version of FlagPromotions are very memory demanding.

JFYI, I am often playing huge crowded Tectonic (which is higher than standard huge) with a lot extra mods and I am getting no CTDs - ever.

@vyyt can you post your rough HW specs (CPU, GPU, RAM, OS) and whether you use texture mods with those Huge maps please? Not getting any CTDs either, but I'm playing Large maps and the reason I didn't try a Huge map again, even though I'd like to, is because I got CTDs in late game the last time I tried...but that was with the old version of Flag Promotions and more than a year ago.

Yup, a laptop with an older i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia GPU (I am outside now, but I think it is 940M) and an SSD disc, Win10. No unit/terrain texture mods, but @Infixo's ENW + I am adding 2 new units by myself. I am using the new FlagPromotions.

I was getting graphical glitches and/or screen freezes (not CTDs, the game was actually responding, but the image on the screen was stuck) in late game when I was using the old FlagPromotions.

I was getting graphical glitches and/or screen freezes (not CTDs, the game was actually responding, but the image on the screen was stuck) in late game when I was using the old FlagPromotions.
Thanks. Yeah I had those, too, with the old Flag Promotions...hmm maybe I should give huge maps another try since my HW is pretty comparable...now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I got CTDs, exactly, or if that was just those freezes, which made me force quit the game due to sustained non-responsiveness.

And out of curiosity I have to ask, of course: what are those two units you're adding? :D

What would be your course of action if you have an early warmonger civ as your neighbour with a strong UU, like the celts or greece? And let's say that you play a fairly flexible civ, like maya. Do you go authority and archer rush? Do you build statue of zeus? Or is authority not needed, just a fast archer rush?

Yeah, it took me a while to realize that the game was actually responding and only the image was stuck. I could click stuff (blindly as the cursor was not moving) and I could hear the selection sounds etc., when I luckily hit a unit or a menu button :)

One unit is a WWII era self-propelled gun as I hate seeing the WWI era light tank along the tanks (it is more a flavor/visual thing than a balance thing) and I am adding a WWII era heavy cruiser. I am actually secretly working on a mod adding a 3rd warship line starting from industrial/modern era: so I have melee destroyers, cruiser skirmishers with 1 tile range and move after attack and a heavy battleship line which delivers a bigger and further punch and can endure a lot, but cannot move after shooting and costs extra resources. It also started as a flavor mod because I was missing a ship between a destroyer and a battleship, but it seems to be working nicely so far.

One unit is a WWII era self-propelled gun as I hate seeing the WWI era light tank along the tanks (it is more a flavor/visual thing than a balance thing) and I am adding a WWII era heavy cruiser. I am actually secretly working on a mod adding a 3rd warship line starting from industrial/modern era: so I have melee destroyers, cruiser skirmishers with 1 tile range and move after attack and a heavy battleship line which delivers a bigger and further punch and can endure a lot, but cannot move after shooting and costs extra resources. It also started as a flavor mod because I was missing a ship between a destroyer and a battleship, but it seems to be working nicely so far.
Well the secret's out now :D

Sounds pretty cool! Do you have the light tank graphical replacement available as a mod I could use? And will your other mod work with ENW? If so, I'd certainly like to try it once it's done!

What would be your course of action if you have an early warmonger civ as your neighbour with a strong UU, like the celts or greece? And let's say that you play a fairly flexible civ, like maya. Do you go authority and archer rush? Do you build statue of zeus? Or is authority not needed, just a fast archer rush?
The celts UU has its downside. No anti mounted promotion. If you have to face the pictish warrior, try to go maximum mounted units. My mate played the celts and had a lot of trouble vs enemy mounted attacks.
Hoplites are pretty strong, but with the Atlatist, you have a great UU too. If the enemy is wounded, your Atlatist have the same ranged combat strenght as the next higher unit, the crossbowman.
In both cases, you should rush mathematics, cause you get there the Atlatist and the Skirmisher. But unless you want to go domination, authority isnt really necessary.

Well the secret's out now :D

Sounds pretty cool! Do you have the light tank graphical replacement available as a mod I could use? And will your other mod work with ENW? If so, I'd certainly like to try it once it's done!
Yes, now I have to eliminate you and everyone who has been in this thread :)

The self-propelled gun uses a German StuG III model, the unit itself is downloadable from Steam, I only added the stats and inserted it in the tech tree. I can dissect this part from my mod-mod and send it to you later when I have time.

And yes, the whole mod-mod is compatible with ENW. It actually requires it. I reshuffled the modern tech tree a lot and after I finish my current test game, I will reshuffle it again. I will upload it to the mod-mod repository then and PM you if you want. I also have to consult a few things with @Infixo and other more experienced modders and give credits to the authors of the used unit models, etc. before I publish it publicly. As you have probably already guessed, I am interested in the history of the WWII, so the changes are rather focused on the historic accuracy and flavor and some of the changes may actually go against the delicate balance of VP. It just irked me that I was seeing modern units and bi-planes together, etc.

I can dissect this part from my mod-mod and send it to you later when I have time.
That would be awesome...but do it before you eliminate me, please :lol:

And yes, the whole mod-mod is compatible with ENW. It actually requires it. I reshuffled the modern tech tree a lot and after I finish my current test game, I will reshuffle it again. I will upload it to the mod-mod repository then and PM you if you want.
Yes, please, I'd definitely want to check it out!

I'm looking for a post on this forum that I forgot to save that talked about four ingame mods they used, the one in particular I was interested in was differentiating or detailing promotions (because having three yellow triangles on an enemy unit isn't too useful). Does anyone know the post I'm talking about (since I vaguely remember being interested in checking out the other ones they mentioned) or know about that mod in particular? I can't find an obvious one on the workshop that's VP compatible.

Edit: I remember improved city view being one of the other mods they mentioned.

@SpankmyMetroid , what exactly were these mods supposed to do? Could it be these?

VP promo icons:
https/forums.civfanatics.com/threads/vp-promo-icons.633731/
- it recolorises the promo icons and adds new ones, so there are no triangles

Promotion flags for EUI (not the old Flag Promotions !!!)
- the link is in the VP mod compatibility thread
- it displays the promotions above the units and is compatible with VP promo icons

Top Bottom