Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Is it intended that Great Works don't give Culture or Tourism to Puppet cities if put into their appropriate slots?

I was trying to boost the border growth rate of one of my puppet cities since I can't manually buy tiles there but putting GW into its slots didn't increase Culture (or Tourism) and therefore didn't speed up border growth...

Yup, a laptop with an older i7 processor, 8 GB RAM, Nvidia GPU (I am outside now, but I think it is 940M) and an SSD disc, Win10. No unit/terrain texture mods, but @Infixo's ENW + I am adding 2 new units by myself. I am using the new FlagPromotions.

I was getting graphical glitches and/or screen freezes (not CTDs, the game was actually responding, but the image on the screen was stuck) in late game when I was using the old FlagPromotions.
I have the exact same specs as you, but Nvidia GPU 860.

Do you think that's the problem?

I have the exact same specs as you, but Nvidia GPU 860.

Do you think that's the problem?
Hard to say, there are to many unknown variables, but I think probably not.

Do you use any of the aforementioned mods? Or are you playing only vanilla VP?

Is it intended that Great Works don't give Culture or Tourism to Puppet cities if put into their appropriate slots?

I was trying to boost the border growth rate of one of my puppet cities since I can't manually buy tiles there but putting GW into its slots didn't increase Culture (or Tourism) and therefore didn't speed up border growth...

The penalty takes it to <1 for bonus, you'd need at least two IIRC to do that.

When you have the WLTKD founder (Theocratic Rule) and wonder (Mausoleum), are playing tradition, and your capital is asking for a luxury that only city-states allied with someone else who has 400+ influence more than you, is there a way out?
Save file attached (beta 12-18-1).

Thanks!

Attachments

• Haile Selassie_0205 AD-1450.Civ5Save
    1.8 MB · Views: 145
When you have the WLTKD founder (Theocratic Rule) and wonder (Mausoleum), are playing tradition, and your capital is asking for a luxury that only city-states allied with someone else who has 400+ influence more than you, is there a way out?
Save file attached (beta 12-18-1).

Thanks!

Great Merchant. The WLTKD from him will reset the luxury after its over. Or the circus.

Quick Question: playing with DLC Modpack and 43-Civ Version Repository
there I read "The MAXIMUM number of major civilizations is 43, the maximum number of total civs major and minor is 63"
however, I only get it working with 37 civs and some (12 or 13) minors. As soon as I try to set up 38 civs or more I get a CTD when setup.
What to do?

Hi all, any way to pillage your own tiles?

IDK if it has been suggested before to be implemented in VP or if there is a mod allowing this. It could be seen as a burning land strategy when you retreat or defend your own cities, maybe with some temp malus for happiness if you would do that. Thoughts?

Quick Question: playing with DLC Modpack and 43-Civ Version Repository
there I read "The MAXIMUM number of major civilizations is 43, the maximum number of total civs major and minor is 63"
however, I only get it working with 37 civs and some (12 or 13) minors. As soon as I try to set up 38 civs or more I get a CTD when setup.
What to do?
A bug report on Github? As long as you set less than 20CS and 43civ, it should work.

Hi all, any way to pillage your own tiles?

IDK if it has been suggested before to be implemented in VP or if there is a mod allowing this. It could be seen as a burning land strategy when you retreat or defend your own cities, maybe with some temp malus for happiness if you would do that. Thoughts?
That was suggested a long time ago, but refused due to:
+Difficulty to train the AI to play with and against
+Possible abuses with pillage/repair loops
+Not a lot of support from the community

How do you warr effectively when you have literally no horses? No nearby CS with horses or allies that can trade them. It gets especially hard when you are in medieval and your neightbours have knights

How do you warr effectively when you have literally no horses? No nearby CS with horses or allies that can trade them. It gets especially hard when you are in medieval and your neightbours have knights

Naval wars. Or unique units. And probably spamming land melee units (because anything else have low defense, so will instantly die to knights).
Or avoid wars. Or enable strategic balance to prevent this situation from happening.

I find that laking iron is even harder. You can still fight knight with pikemen, crossbow and trebuchet, or wait for tercio and canon.

I find that laking iron is even harder. You can still fight knight with pikemen, crossbow and trebuchet, or wait for tercio and canon.
Not if the terrain is very rough, I feel then you really need horses. Trying to fight the Aztecs in my current game with tercios and cannons. His cities are in the jungle so I can't really use crossbowmen either. Could really use some knights right now I feel, although I have no clue if I can even take his cities with the aid of knights.

Not if the terrain is very rough, I feel then you really need horses. Trying to fight the Aztecs in my current game with tercios and cannons. His cities are in the jungle so I can't really use crossbowmen either. Could really use some knights right now I feel, although I have no clue if I can even take his cities with the aid of knights.
Then you will need to wait until field gun. Knight is not very helpful versus city either.
In the mean time you can keep killing his units to cripple his economy.

Any idea what could cause a Culture bomb of ~37.000 in the Modern Era?
Spoiler what I'm talking about :
Culture_Madness.jpg
I went back and checked and this actually happened in 1 turn: from turn 447 to 448, I just took the "after-pics" on turn 449.

Edit: another question: can logging be turned on in the middle of a game without causing issues?

Last edited:
Okay so I ran turn 447-448 again for the AI and checked the logs. Morocco had this interesting line in their logs:

[1099.651] DBG: UpdateMoves() : player 7 Ahmad al-Mansur running AutoMission (NO_MISSIONAI) on Alexandre Dumas (Great Writer) id=11573

He is also very likely the AI that got this Culture boost (I'm 99% sure for various reasons) and also the only one who had a Great Writer in their logs. So I have two questions:

1. Could the above log line mean that he expended a GW for Culture?
2. Is it plausible that a civ with a Culture yield of almost 2.000 per turn and probably more than a dozen Great Works can pop a GW for 37k Culture?

If so, that would explain what happened...it would also be pretty insane since 37k for me would be 95% of my progress to the next policy, which is substantially more than I've seen GW able to provide.

Is it intended that after Decolonization the civ with the most (and more than 60) influence with a decolonized CS doesn't become it's Ally automatically?

Edit: the new alliances were forged automatically after all, just on the next turn...

Last edited:
Top Bottom