Quick Questions / Quick Answers

There is a feature in the game that you research technologies faster when other known civilizations already have reasearched them.
And I don`t mean the World Congress resolution.

I would like to mod this value so all civs keep closer together on their technology level and it is harder for civs to get a 10 technology lead for example.
Anyone know where I can find this value in the mod files?

It's a vanilla feature, I don't think VP modified it.

Edit: I think the function you're looking for is CvPlayer::calculateResearchModifier, found in the CvPlayer.cpp file.

Last edited:
I recently picked up Civ V and though I've played the other Civs extensively (except VI) my question is, should I play around with vanilla for awhile or dive right into VP? Or I suppose another way to put it, how is the vanilla game compared to what VP offers? Is it like a lot of mods where it's so much better that you never bother with the original game again?

I recently picked up Civ V and though I've played the other Civs extensively (except VI) my question is, should I play around with vanilla for awhile or dive right into VP? Or I suppose another way to put it, how is the vanilla game compared to what VP offers? Is it like a lot of mods where it's so much better that you never bother with the original game again?
the latter.

the latter.

Its so good it still puts Civ VI to shame. I took a recent stroll on Civ 6 to see how it was doing with the new expansion. Its got a lot of cool stuff, but it quickly falls apart when you realize how bad the balance is, and how utterly terrible the AI.

And...things still take f$$$ing forever to build in that game.

I see, thank you both. I look forward to working my way up the difficulty ladder.

So I hit a snag in my current game. Due to a bug or something I have a cruiser and ironclad in the same city which is blocked by an enemy ship. I cannot move or remove either of them, so now this game is completely stuck because it won't let me advance without moving one of the units. Screenshot below. Are there any tips or tricks to deal with this?

upload_2019-5-9_0-16-40.png

@Stalker0, wow, this has never happened to me. Hiw did the 2 ships end up there? Was one in the port and the other freshly built in the city? I think we should ask G and team on GitHub if they can somehow prevent this (maybe automove to the nearest available plot and spending all movement points?). Do you have a save?

And to salvage your game, I'd IGE the enemy corvette away or I suppose you can delete one of your ships? But these are not ideal and you already know these, right?

I'd suggest saving the game, loading IGE when you pull it up again, and you can teleport one of your units to say Ouarzazate, or somewhere else you feel is "fair", or teleporting the corvette a tile back, since it has room.

Do guided missiles have a maintenance fee/contribute to your unit supply?

I also seem to have every AI vote to sanction me each game, regardless of how me being friends with some and not being a warmonger. Is it just something they do if you're winning or am I doing something wrong?

AI in VP actively try to not only win themselves but also stop you from winning. That is why there is a negative diplomacy modifier for things like "competition for wonders", "they know you are going to win", things like that.

Does the AI favor other AI over the human player then? If given the option, are they going to try to hinder me more than their AI competitions? I'm currently in a game where there's a three way race for the leader spot and no clear victor yet. However, the two AI in the race are working together to hinder me while not doing anything against one another.

Does the AI favor other AI over the human player then? If given the option, are they going to try to hinder me more than their AI competitions? I'm currently in a game where there's a three way race for the leader spot and no clear victor yet. However, the two AI in the race are working together to hinder me while not doing anything against one another.

Nope, AI treats everyone equally afaik. It is very likely that they have reasons to work together or against you, and if this goes on long-term they are probably messing with each other in ways you might not see.

They may have made more effort to be friendly with each other than you have with either of them, as well.

Where do I post suggestions? here?
Is it possible to add auto explore to workboats in the same way regular ships have that?

I am having an issue where my game will have a.. I'm not really sure what to call it other than crash for lack of a better term? I click delete save the game "crashes" (screen goes black and exits civ 5) when I click back into the game it still functions and everything, it's just generally annoying and I cant really see anything out in the open anywhere about this issu., (copied from my steam post because I have no clue what's causing my issue) p.p.s. if anyone can give me a resolution thank you

I am having an issue where my game will have a.. I'm not really sure what to call it other than crash for lack of a better term? I click delete save the game "crashes" (screen goes black and exits civ 5) when I click back into the game it still functions and everything, it's just generally annoying and I cant really see anything out in the open anywhere about this issu., (copied from my steam post because I have no clue what's causing my issue) p.p.s. if anyone can give me a resolution thank you
Is this happening recently? If so, it may have to do with the new civ v launcher. There are some tutorials out there for downgrading, if you Google it.

Top Bottom