Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Don't think it is the launcher. As annoying as the new launcher is, it doesn't affect the game if you have everything installed correctly.

It sounds more like a permissions issue. Verify files on steam first if you haven't already done. If that doesn't help, make sure you are running the game with admin privileges.

Also, are you clearing the cache and mod data folders when you install VP?

Last edited:
I actually have this issue as well, I just go into files and delete. Thanks for posting and reminding me.

Is this happening recently? If so, it may have to do with the new civ v launcher. There are some tutorials out there for downgrading, if you Google it.
Thanks for all the responses, no I have not done that, I've been modding but I basically know nothing about code and all that so the information is helpful, but do you mean I should reinstall Civ 5 or do you just mean that I should try and reinstall VP? Also it can occur whether I am in game or out of game, no matter where I try to delete save the same problem occurs. (Except for the suggestion chicorbeef gave obviously not sure if I should reaffirm that since its kind of self explanatory but yeah.)

Is this happening recently? If so, it may have to do with the new civ v launcher. There are some tutorials out there for downgrading, if you Google it.
I will see if that resolves my issue or not, will come back with an update. (It did not help, for now I will just go to the folder until I can find a resolution.)

Last edited:
I just deleted a couple of saves from inside the game and had no problem at all, although the new launcher is active. :c5happy:

Double checking since its been a while since I thought about the new flanking rules...if I have buddies flanking with him or myself , shock still doesn't help my defense correct?

Last edited:
The new launcher has nothing to do with VP, it's a Firaxis thing for Civ V, full of advertisements and bugs that make your memory overflow.

Advertising yes, but memory overflows? No.

All it is supposed to do is launch the game with selected settings and then close itself. It should have no effect on the game after it is launched.

If it doesn't work that way then you probably have software conflict (AV?) or a poor installation.

Edit: I don't seem to have problems deleting VP saves from within the game either. Also, the launcher is not running in the background. It is correctly closing itself down.

I'm not trying to defend the new launcher because I agree it sucks. If you check and find the launcher is still running in the background then something is not working as intended at your end.

Last edited:
All it is supposed to do is launch the game with selected settings and then close itself. It should have no effect on the game after it is launched.

My experience with the new launcher is it never closing after launch and gobbling RAM like it's chrome. It's malware. I disabled it with the beta thing.

Advertising yes, but memory overflows? No.

If it doesn't work that way then you probably have software conflict (AV?) or a poor installation.

Edit: I don't seem to have problems deleting VP saves from within the game either. Also, the launcher is not running in the background. It is correctly closing itself down.

I'm not trying to defend the new launcher because I agree it sucks. If you check and find the launcher is still running in the background then something is not working as intended at your end.

Please don't spread nonsense. It is a flawed launcher, it has a qt web service for streaming the videos in the launcher, but the service does not always correctly close when you launch the game, leaving a qtweb process running in the background.

G

Please don't spread nonsense. It is a flawed launcher, it has a qt web service for streaming the videos in the launcher, but the service does not always correctly close when you launch the game, leaving a qtweb process running in the background.

G
Oooh! So the qtsomethingsomething.exe occasionally getting stuck in the memory and then gobbling gigabytes within a few hours is coming from the new launcher? I just thought it was always a part of the Steam client and I only hadn't noticed it before. Now I have even more reason to get rid of it. Thanks for the info.

Oooh! So the qtsomethingsomething.exe occasionally getting stuck in the memory and then gobbling gigabytes within a few hours is coming from the new launcher? I just thought it was always a part of the Steam client and I only hadn't noticed it before. Now I have even more reason to get rid of it. Thanks for the info.

Yes.

Now that power plants are mutually exclusive, how do you decide whether to build the jack of all hydro/wind or production king nuclear/solar?

My cities are already production powerhouses, so technically the gold/science from the former two would be more relevant, but because the base production is so high the percent modifier from the latter is way more impactful. I was conflicted enough to come to the forums about it so if there’s an easy way to decide please share...

Now that power plants are mutually exclusive, how do you decide whether to build the jack of all hydro/wind or production king nuclear/solar?

My cities are already production powerhouses, so technically the gold/science from the former two would be more relevant, but because the base production is so high the percent modifier from the latter is way more impactful. I was conflicted enough to come to the forums about it so if there’s an easy way to decide please share...
IMO, Solar/Nuclear totally outclass the other two now. I think the appeal used to be stacking them for ultra :c5production:, but that's not possible anymore.

G

This doesn't happen at all.

If I'm 'spreading nonsense' then feel free to debunk me with actual evidence.

This doesn't happen at all.

If I'm 'spreading nonsense' then feel free to debunk me with actual evidence.

It does happen, but I don’t have the patience nor desire to satisfy your demand. I don’t really care what you think on this tbh.

G

A telling reply indeed.

Don't be like that, man. A quick google search for the topic highlights that the civ 5 and civ 6 launchers (they use the same backend qt tech to function) have this issue for a lot of users:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1.....0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.21m6s7PRsgI

You gain nothing from defending a gosh dang game launcher. It sucks, it can leave hanging processes, and it's purely in existence to extract money from consumers. It wasn't for our benefit.

G

All the search results were from before it was patched.

In my tests I have never found any examples of processes running in the background after the game is launched.

I'm not defending the launcher (i agree it is anti-consumer) nor am I claiming it doesn't happen (although it has never happened to me)

I am merely trying to establish that it is not designed to work that way. The sensible thing to do is to report it as a bug, which I suspect is caused by software conflict, faulty installation or permissions.

You accused me of spreading nonsense, whereas it is actually you who is being unhelpful by spreading false information.

Top Bottom