1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Theral, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Civ5 Guy

Civ5 Guy Chieftain

I am having an issue where my game will have a.. I'm not really sure what to call it other than crash for lack of a better term? I click delete save the game "crashes" (screen goes black and exits civ 5) when I click back into the game it still functions and everything, it's just generally annoying and I cant really see anything out in the open anywhere about this issu., (copied from my steam post because I have no clue what's causing my issue) p.p.s. if anyone can give me a resolution thank you

2. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

Is this happening recently? If so, it may have to do with the new civ v launcher. There are some tutorials out there for downgrading, if you Google it.

3. FaarmAnimal

FaarmAnimal Chieftain

Don't think it is the launcher. As annoying as the new launcher is, it doesn't affect the game if you have everything installed correctly.

It sounds more like a permissions issue. Verify files on steam first if you haven't already done. If that doesn't help, make sure you are running the game with admin privileges.

Also, are you clearing the cache and mod data folders when you install VP?

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  4. vyyt

vyyt Chieftain

Also, does the problem occur only when you try to delete a save from within the game? I don't think I have ever done this.

5. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Warlord

I actually have this issue as well, I just go into files and delete. Thanks for posting and reminding me.

6. Civ5 Guy

Civ5 Guy Chieftain

Thanks for all the responses, no I have not done that, I've been modding but I basically know nothing about code and all that so the information is helpful, but do you mean I should reinstall Civ 5 or do you just mean that I should try and reinstall VP? Also it can occur whether I am in game or out of game, no matter where I try to delete save the same problem occurs. (Except for the suggestion chicorbeef gave obviously not sure if I should reaffirm that since its kind of self explanatory but yeah.)

7. Civ5 Guy

Civ5 Guy Chieftain

I will see if that resolves my issue or not, will come back with an update. (It did not help, for now I will just go to the folder until I can find a resolution.)

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  8. 4CV

4CV Chieftain

I just deleted a couple of saves from inside the game and had no problem at all, although the new launcher is active. :c5happy:

9. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Double checking since its been a while since I thought about the new flanking rules...if I have buddies flanking with him or myself , shock still doesn't help my defense correct?

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  10. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

The new launcher has nothing to do with VP, it's a Firaxis thing for Civ V, full of advertisements and bugs that make your memory overflow.

11. FaarmAnimal

FaarmAnimal Chieftain

Advertising yes, but memory overflows? No.

All it is supposed to do is launch the game with selected settings and then close itself. It should have no effect on the game after it is launched.

If it doesn't work that way then you probably have software conflict (AV?) or a poor installation.

Edit: I don't seem to have problems deleting VP saves from within the game either. Also, the launcher is not running in the background. It is correctly closing itself down.

I'm not trying to defend the new launcher because I agree it sucks. If you check and find the launcher is still running in the background then something is not working as intended at your end.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    vyyt likes this.
  12. Rhys DeAnno

Rhys DeAnno Chieftain

My experience with the new launcher is it never closing after launch and gobbling RAM like it's chrome. It's malware. I disabled it with the beta thing.

13. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

Please don't spread nonsense. It is a flawed launcher, it has a qt web service for streaming the videos in the launcher, but the service does not always correctly close when you launch the game, leaving a qtweb process running in the background.

G

tu_79, chicorbeef and vyyt like this.
  14. vyyt

vyyt Chieftain

Oooh! So the qtsomethingsomething.exe occasionally getting stuck in the memory and then gobbling gigabytes within a few hours is coming from the new launcher? I just thought it was always a part of the Steam client and I only hadn't noticed it before. Now I have even more reason to get rid of it. Thanks for the info.

tu_79 and chicorbeef like this.
  15. Gazebo

Yes.

chicorbeef and vyyt like this.
  16. SpankmyMetroid

SpankmyMetroid Chieftain

Now that power plants are mutually exclusive, how do you decide whether to build the jack of all hydro/wind or production king nuclear/solar?

My cities are already production powerhouses, so technically the gold/science from the former two would be more relevant, but because the base production is so high the percent modifier from the latter is way more impactful. I was conflicted enough to come to the forums about it so if there’s an easy way to decide please share...

17. chicorbeef

chicorbeef Warlord

IMO, Solar/Nuclear totally outclass the other two now. I think the appeal used to be stacking them for ultra :c5production:, but that's not possible anymore.

18. FaarmAnimal

FaarmAnimal Chieftain

This doesn't happen at all.

If I'm 'spreading nonsense' then feel free to debunk me with actual evidence.

19. Gazebo

It does happen, but I don’t have the patience nor desire to satisfy your demand. I don’t really care what you think on this tbh.

G

burleigh likes this.
  20. FaarmAnimal

FaarmAnimal Chieftain

A telling reply indeed.