Quick Questions / Quick Answers

How does the City State diplomatic mission “improve a resource” work? I am the ally of the CS, have researched the necessary tech, have the appropriate funds, but the mission is grayed out. It is an oil resource with a village on it.
You have to know oil mining too. This is a recent change, the tech where oil is revealed is no longer the same that teaches how to extract it. Dig a little through the techs and you'll see which one you need.

I find that not too uncommonly in the mid-late game, I simply run out of things to build. I'll have pretty much every building in every city, a sizeable military, and constantly be maxed out with diplomats/archeologists, so I sometimes have no choice but to use one of the 25% yield conversion things for a while. Am I alone? How do you manage this?

Last edited:
I find that not too uncommonly in the mid-late game, I simply run out of things to build. I'll have pretty much every building in every city, a sizeable military, and constantly be maxed out with diplomats/archeologists, so I sometimes have no choice but to use one of the 25% yield conversion things for a while. Am I alone? How do you manage this?
Focus on science for a while, that works for me. World Congress projects are also something you can do in such cases. Another thing you can do is commiting yourself to a war, then you need to produce a few more units.

Well, no. I reloaded and things went back to normal. If it helps, do you know the production queue that has three possible items in queue? There's a red X at the left corner of each item, rigth? When this thing happens, there's a "recycle" symbol right next to the X that is not usually there. It looks like it is some kind of feature, actually, but I don't know how to activate it.

Must have been a short-lived bug. Glad it's ok. Hmm, can't recall that, would have to load the game.

Tempto, if you're consistently winning at that point, perhaps it's time to move up a difficulty?

You're supposed to run out of buildings to build easily if you go Progress/Industry. I just go for processes in that case.

Focus on science for a while, that works for me. World Congress projects are also something you can do in such cases. Another thing you can do is commiting yourself to a war, then you need to produce a few more units.

World Congress projects? Pffft, too busy proposing sanctions! But yeah, seems reasonable. In my current China game I'm going nuts with my military because I might as well. Went Autocracy for the first time and I have to say, it feels really damn good holding all the cards and not having to fear any other civ's military prowess.

Tempto, if you're consistently winning at that point, perhaps it's time to move up a difficulty?

I've actually been stubbornly playing on King over and over and I don't think I've won a game in SP at least. This just might be my first proper victory, but it's not over yet...

You're supposed to run out of buildings to build easily if you go Progress/Industry. I just go for processes in that case.

This was something that I suspected but wasn't sure about - good to know that it's not atypical to have to use the processes (so that's what they're called).

Is there a way to get the positive diplomatic modifier for a shared religion back after you conquer a holy city? I adopted the new religion as mine and was unable to get the positive diplomatic modifier back even after purging the new religion from all of my cities.

Does VP change the Ironclad to cost Iron instead of Coal? Can't recall if it's VP or another mod I have and now the Cruiser and Ironclad cost Iron, which sometimes screws me up immensely. I wanted to have the Ironclad costing Coal again but don't know which file to modify.

Does VP change the Ironclad to cost Iron instead of Coal? Can't recall if it's VP or another mod I have and now the Cruiser and Ironclad cost Iron, which sometimes screws me up immensely. I wanted to have the Ironclad costing Coal again but don't know which file to modify.

This was a recent change in the beta (I think two versions ago). Its good to give your feedback, as its still a change being debated. I'm still in the camp that says melee navy should be resource free, and only the ranged units should cost strategic

This was a recent change in the beta (I think two versions ago). Its good to give your feedback, as its still a change being debated. I'm still in the camp that says melee navy should be resource free, and only the ranged units should cost strategic
Oh thanks! I just could not remember if this was new or I just didn't pay attention in the past. I don't feel I'm qualified to give balancing feedback, but I'll just say that being in a situation where you can't build anything to defend yourself with is bad. Either going with your suggestion or let us still build older ships would be nice.

Can anyone explain how the mechanism/code works for the positive diplo modifier of having been in a war with the same leader? I've been noticing that it seems to be erratic. Sometimes it appears after you've been at war with the same civ, sometimes it doesn't. (I'm playing without transparent diplomacy, if that makes a difference).

It's proportional to the damage you inflict on the common enemy while you're both at war with them. Killing weaker units awards less than killing stronger units; capturing cities tends to be much more impactful. The bonus decays over time, and is set to 0 if you declare war on them.

Quick question about difficulty settings. In the xml file there are two lines about bonus vs barbarians. For instance, King setting is :

<BarbarianBonus>20</BarbarianBonus>
<AIBarbarianBonus>15</AIBarbarianBonus>

Does this mean we have 20% bonus against barb whereas AI only got 15% vs barb? Or does AI get 35% (20+15) vs barb?

You get 20%, they get 15% (although it might be more when combined with their AI_DEFAULT bonus; not sure).

Is there a way to get the positive diplomatic modifier for a shared religion back after you conquer a holy city? I adopted the new religion as mine and was unable to get the positive diplomatic modifier back even after purging the new religion from all of my cities.

You can't get the bonus if the other civ founded a different religion than yours.

You get 20%, they get 15% (although it might be more when combined with their AI_DEFAULT bonus; not sure).

Thanks for the answer! I didn't know there was a AI_DEFAULT. I'll go and check that. It would seem strange we have an advantage over AI when fighting barbs on King difficulty.

Thanks for the answer! I didn't know there was a AI_DEFAULT. I'll go and check that. It would seem strange we have an advantage over AI when fighting barbs on King difficulty.

It's at the end of the difficulty file.

From what I've told, the game is meant to be balanced around Emperor difficulty (at least, for experienced players). I assume that's why difficulties below Emperor give the player a slight happiness edge and difficulties above Emperor grant one to the AI.

It's at the end of the difficulty file.

From what I've told, the game is meant to be balanced around Emperor difficulty (at least, for experienced players). I assume that's why difficulties below Emperor give the player a slight happiness edge and difficulties above Emperor grant one to the AI.

Thanks, found it!

<Type>HANDICAP_AI_DEFAULT</Type>
<BarbarianBonus>0</BarbarianBonus>
<AIBarbarianBonus>25</AIBarbarianBonus>

You don't think AI got a base 25% bonus against barbs whatever the difficutly? So at King we get 20% and they get 40% (25 base + 15 from King)? Or maybe, like you said, they only get 15% and we have a slight advantage over AI below Emperor.

Is it normal for a Pathfinder at the start of the game to get three levels from just one map ruin?

Now that the AI has +1 sight on some difficulty, I'm finding combat really difficult. Do I just need to git gud or is this designed to make the AI have a huge advantage?

Top Bottom