1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Theral, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Aqinu

Aqinu Chieftain

AFAIK 4-5 cities (including the capital) is ideal for CV (not saying that having more cities is impossible to achieve this victory, especially if you don't have competition).

Tempto likes this.
  2. azum4roll

azum4roll Emperor

IMO it doesn't matter much since most of your tourism output actually comes from instant tourism, which is mostly based on your culture income, at least for the first two-thirds of the game.

swapoer and Tempto like this.
  3. Tempto

Tempto Chieftain

Good stuff to know. Will keep that in mind for my future games when going for a CV - thanks.

That would explain why I'm leading in terms of influence. Arabia is looking likely to overtake me soon though, will be an interesting late game (currently at turn ~310). Any tips for curbing their tourism output? I do have a very large military, but the geography makes it difficult to directly take him head-on (it will have to be a tricky naval invasion).

4. Gampela

Gampela Chieftain

Could someone explain me the China's unique ability? Super confused especially by the "these bonuses decline 50% every era", like the 1 gold 1 gold bonus? Is the We love the empress day same thing as we love the king day?

5. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Each new city and new great work gives +1 food +1 gold to all your existing cities. If you found 5 cities in a row, the first one will have +5, the second +4, the third +3, sfsf. On new era, these bonuses get halved: +2 the first, +2 the second, +1 the third, +1 the fourth...
    WLTED is exactly the same as WLTKD, except for the extra bonus. Anything that triggers with a WLTKD will trigger with WLTED.

vyyt and Gampela like this.
  6. nmb93

nmb93 Chieftain

I just wanted to post a quick follow up to my post about having issues loading saves. After much googling, I found an odd but so far totally effective solution. Steps:
    1. Launch Civ. Select mods. Hit next.
    2. Setup and start a game (I've been starting a game using the same settings as the save I want to play, not sure if that matters.)
    3. Exit to main menu.
    4. Select mods. Hit next.
    5. Load problematic late game save.
    6. Profit!
    I'm not a computer science major but my theory is that starting a fresh game first loads a bunch of mod assets/stuff into memory so that it's cached, and then the game doesn't choke/crash when it has to load all that + a late game save.

As for the game in question, I'm playing on the Mediterranean map that Martin Fencka played as Rome recently. It's my second attempt at the map and I don't think I'll be playing it again. The map is locked to 10 players and even with that many civs it's huge. The strategic resource placement is awful. I play with raging barbarians and this is the 2nd time I've discovered civ's capitals surrounded by barbs and them stuck in the ancient era.

It's turn 588, epic speed, emperor, I'm playing as the Huns, and I've conquered/vassalized 3 (about to be 4) civs. Indonesia is the runaway with 29(!!!) wonders. They're 4 techs ahead of me and we've both just entered in the information era. We've warred on and off in Turkey but I've avoided pushing in because of his tech lead. Once the war with Greece is over in the Iberian peninsula, I'll finally be able to bring all my forces east and hopefully get the domination victory before he wins with Science.

upload_2019-10-7_19-32-4.png

Civ Spies&Lies, swapoer and vyyt like this.
  7. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

8. andersw

andersw Emperor

Is settling on Marble supposed to provide 15% from the get go?
    I would have thought it required construction but it seems not, also any lux settled on seems to instantly provide happy (calendar resources, elephants etc).

upload_2019-10-9_0-13-38.png

9. Noob Fanboy

Noob Fanboy Warlord

I prefer it that way. But it seems like a bug.

Edit: Can you pass me that savefield?.

10. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Yes, both marble and stone give the ability to build wonders faster as soon as you have them connected. This seems like a nice move if you want to wonder whoring and you have marble in sight.

11. andersw

andersw Emperor

No kidding got a very fast stonehenge with this start, testing france and want to settle on lux, something I've clearly neglected in most of my prev games.

12. Recursive

Recursive Covets Lands That You Currently Own Moderator

I'm working on understanding that code ATM, there's a number of factors involved, such as military strength, shared religion, WC resolutions etc.

I will say that:
    - No warmonger penalties are applied with players you haven't met;
    - Attacking City-States gives a smaller penalty than major civs;
    - Capturing cities has a substantially higher penalty than declaring war;
    - The penalty decays over time;
    - AIs have a leader-specific flavor which determines how much they hate warmongers, and therefore how much warmonger penalty you will accumulate with them. Montezuma is extremely tolerant of warmongering, while Gandhi is extremely intolerant;
    - As you know, you can see how much each player will care about a city capture on the city tooltip.

13. CivYam

CivYam Chieftain

Any quick guidelines on whether to annex or puppet a city in the mid-late game, e.g. when you're getting into Imperialism?

14. psparky

psparky Prince

I did some investigation and personal changes in this area about a year ago. At that time (and quite likely now):

- The no penalty with unmet civs didn't work
    - The tooltip on the impact of capturing a city used a different calculation and was pretty worthless (I removed it as useless clutter)

I also found:
    - The 'economic value' of the city compared to an average city is used as a scaler. As a result, there was virtually no penalty for capturing new/small cities. (I smoothed the function to 25 + 75% of value)
    - The penalties were almost double (1.9 times) if you declared the war. (Some comments and variable names suggest it should be 1 for the aggressor and 0.9 for a non-aggressor, but the implementation is not consistent with that)
    - The penalty is much higher with the previous owner - seems fair enough :)
    - Decay is very slow and penalties very high such that even a very modest amount of warmongering gave factors that totally dominated diplomacy. I increased decay and greatly reduced penalties - if I play as a true warmonger the numbers are still high. This was a change that made my games more enjoyable as it gave me more flexibilty in stategy, but won't be to everybodies liking.
    - Penalties increase with era a bit.
    - Code to avoid repeat penalties when a city changes hands a few times didn't work

Best of luck with your work and thanks for everything you already sorted.

Civ Spies&Lies likes this.
  15. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Man no kidding. In a recent game England settled my back corner. After a declare on them, killing one unit, and taking the city...I was already at 39% antiwarmonger penalty (immortal diff).

At those numbers, swordsman start beating knights!

16. andersw

andersw Emperor

Yes after I've gone up to emperor the wars have started to become crazy grindy because .... warmonger penalty all my units just tickles the AI.
    edit: especially in my first AI I try to conquer.

17. Recursive

Recursive Covets Lands That You Currently Own Moderator

Thanks for the encouragement and pointers to problem areas.

I've already fixed warmongering so it doesn't apply to unmet players (was a bug), I'll look into how they can be more fair once I get a complete understanding of the mechanics - the code is scattered through a few files.

Civ Spies&Lies likes this.
  18. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Does anyone know why my production queue is producing the same item over and over? It has happened a few times to me, feels like it is an option but I don't know how it is activated or deactivated.

19. LifeOfBrian

LifeOfBrian King

Tu_79, can you post a screenshot? It seems like a bug, at first glance.

20. LifeOfBrian

LifeOfBrian King

Can anyone explain how the mechanism/code works for the positive diplo modifier of having been in a war with the same leader? I've been noticing that it seems to be erratic. Sometimes it appears after you've been at war with the same civ, sometimes it doesn't. (I'm playing without transparent diplomacy, if that makes a difference).