Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Can a vassal win the game? It's obvious some victory conditions will never be met by a vassal. But is it theoretically possible? Space race? Cultural Victory? I'm asking because I'm about to take a vassal that has 80 techs and has made a few spaceship parts. I only have 77 techs lol
Domination is impossible, and Diplomatic is unlikely, since they must give 1 or 2 delegates to the master.
Cultural and scientific I don't see why they can't win, other than they must pay to the master and they have been hurt early or mid game.

Domination is impossible, and Diplomatic is unlikely, since they must give 1 or 2 delegates to the master.
Cultural and scientific I don't see why they can't win, other than they must pay to the master and they have been hurt early or mid game.

So let me get this straight. If I make them my vassel and they actually start making more spaceship parts, there is basically nothing I can do right? Because once they're my vassel I can't declare war anymore. This civ has had the lead the entire time. In this case they haven't been hurt until late game. Its 2005 to be exact lol. They are definitely ready to capitulate. I took a break to ask this question first. The only time they have been hurt was by me in previous wars. In fact I historically won several wars on them. In theory they would have been even more menacing if I hadn't slowed them down. Awesome game. It was the mountains that made it hard to get them til late game. And there were other easier targets until now. I would say I've nuked them 6-7 times (Not all at once. I don't have much Uranium). Anybody that thinks one nuclear missile ends the game. Nuh uhh... not if the AI has the full information era techs.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight. If I make them my vassel and they actually start making more spaceship parts. There's basically nothing I can do right? Because once they're my vassel I can't declare war anymore. This civ has had the lead the entire time. In this case they haven't been hurt until late game. Its 2005 to be exact lol. They are definitely ready to capitulate. I took a break to ask this question first. The only time the have been hurt was by me in previous wars. In fact I historically won several wars on them. In theory they would have been even more menacing if I hadn't slowed them down. Awesome game. It was the mountains that made it hard to get them til late game. And there were other easier targets until now. I would say I've nuked them 6-7 times. Anybody that thinks one nuclear missile ends the game. Nuh uhh... not if the AI has the full information era techs.
Try raising taxes, that should hurt them.

Vassals can win the same as any other civ, it's just much less likely.

Try raising taxes, that should hurt them.
I decided to go for it and make her a vassel. Even if they built the spaceship I would take it as a learning experience. Amazingly with only 3 cities shes still generating +439 gold per turn. (It is late game) However, it shows she's still 21 turns away from researching Nuclear Fusion. So hopefully I'm ok. I'm sure that looked much different when she had Vienna, LOL. I suppose I'll update this post if she actually completes another piece. It's definitely something to consider if you're ever actually in this scenario. May be better to wipe them out even if war weariness is getting bad.
EDIT: Yes she has made another piece. I think I'll beat her. But having a vassal with 4 spaceship pieces is definitely not something I've seen before lol

Last edited:
I think I was normally able to DoW my vassal at any time and did it at one time. It is just a matter of diplo hit. Something "you were supposed to defend us and now you are destroying our civilization".
You are absolutely right! I can Liberate them. I never checked that. For some reason I thought you could not Liberate immediately. (Maybe not if it was a peaceful vassal deal, but this was capitulation) Well if it gets serious I will. If she makes a 5th piece shes getting killed lol

You are absolutely right! I can Liberate them. I never checked that. For some reason I thought you could not Liberate immediately. Well if it gets serious I will. If she makes a 5th piece shes getting killed lol

I think you cannot liberate them for the first 50 turns or so after forcing them to be vassals. But you can DoW them without liberation immediately after peace treaty wears off.

I think you cannot liberate them for the first 50 turns or so after forcing them to be vassals. But you can DoW them without liberation immediately after peace treaty wears off.
Well, they haven't been my vassal very long... 10 turns/epic speed. And I can definitely liberate them. I guess I'll have to experiment with this because I'm kind of curious.

That is strange. I think you even have a special massage after first 50 turns of vassalage that you can liberate them now.

That is strange. I think you even have a special massage after first 50 turns of vassalage that you can liberate them now.
Playing this game on Stable version. Been playing about a month and a half. I was messing with the betas for a while, but I wanted to play a game to completion. After this, I'm definitely diving into the betas.

It's best to just dive into her territory and pillage everything with XCOM/Special Forces. No aluminum = no spaceship.

Sup guys!

After a long break of civ 5 I've come back and installed Vox Populi.

Everything was a clean re-installation.

I installed the version of Vox Populi with no EUI from the civ fanatics forum

I'm having a bug with the tech tree where I can't scroll to the right.

Here's my list of mods that are checked and they appear in this order.

-Community Patch v.89
-Community Balance Overhaul v.13
-C4DF-CBP v.11
-City State Diplomacy mod for CBP v.27
-More Luxuries - CBO Edition 5-14b ...
-Community Balance Overhaul - ....
-Promotion Icons for vp v.1
-UI-Promotion Tree for vp v.22

I'm not super computer savvy but I can follow directions if you think you have a solution for me :)

Thanks so much for any help or advice!

~sticky

Sup guys!
-Community Patch v.89
-Community Balance Overhaul v.13
-C4DF-CBP v.11
-City State Diplomacy mod for CBP v.27
-More Luxuries - CBO Edition 5-14b ...
-Community Balance Overhaul - ....
-Promotion Icons for vp v.1
-UI-Promotion Tree for vp v.22

Uhhhhh...do you have two versions of the CBO installed?

@rebar64 , it seems that you have a conflict with the default non-VP More Luxuries mod. First, unsubscribe from it on the Steam Workshop, then delete it manually from your MODs folder and then reinstall VP from the autoinstaller (actually deleting the cache and ModUserData folders before installing could be a good idea too). After this, you should see 5. More Luxuries in the mod list.

Thanks so much, that was what was causing the compatibility issues. After I did what you suggested, no further problems with that issue.

Would you or anyone else happen to know how I could resolve my issues with events and decisions? I don't think I have any mods active which interfere with it in any way, and I am still getting City events, but no Player Choices, Player Events, and a substantially fewer amount of City Choices (just 3 in my current game so far). Also don't have a magistrate decisions button where the others such as diplomacy/infoaddict go. I've attached a screenshot for reference, would highly appreciate any help in getting it to work. Not sure if it comes under one of the aforementioned categories, but I don't get any civ-specific Events/Choices either.

upload_2020-2-17_12-19-26.png

Really makes you appreciate how much better VP is to stock when you can't live without features you've come to take for granted..!

@rebar64 , glad you made it work!

Sorry, I don't use events, so I don't know much about these. VP has its own event system with some basic events included and you can find more user-created event pack(s) in the Mods depository subforum. I think Sucritact's Events and Decisions might conflict with the VP ones, but I am just speculating.

@rebar64 , glad you made it work!

Sorry, I don't use events, so I don't know much about these. VP has its own event system with some basic events included and you can find more user-created event pack(s) in the Mods depository subforum. I think Sucritact's Events and Decisions might conflict with the VP ones, but I am just speculating.

Thanks again for the reply, unfortunateIy I'm not tech savvy enough to try installing additional mods and ironing out conflicts. I don't think I ever installed any specific ones before either, but used the ones that came with VP. It was a long time ago but here are some of the ones I remember;
  • Getting an option to upgrade natural wonders with extra stats, as well as some individual natural wonder related events
  • Upgrading fishing boat production in coastal cities
  • Having some kind of exploring quest where you could get a copy of certain luxuries or resources not present within your borders for a sum of gold
  • Getting a chance in the early game to acquire a copy of iron or an upgrade to culture/faith
  • Getting some sort of war-quest where you can get extra XP or promotions for units
  • Civ-specific events that use magistrates, can't remember any of them specifically but they were usually linked to the historic period of the civs leader. Maybe something like china reforming the imperial exam system or whatever and getting some kinda bonus or malus as a made up example

These are some of the ones I remember, and as far as I know they came with base VP.

Just had a look again at enabled mods, am I perhaps somehow missing one? Is the missing 8 Events and decisions?

upload_2020-2-17_17-45-35.png

Thanks again for the reply, unfortunateIy I'm not tech savvy enough to try installing additional mods and ironing out conflicts. I don't think I ever installed any specific ones before either, but used the ones that came with VP. It was a long time ago but here are some of the ones I remember;
  • Getting an option to upgrade natural wonders with extra stats, as well as some individual natural wonder related events
  • Upgrading fishing boat production in coastal cities
  • Having some kind of exploring quest where you could get a copy of certain luxuries or resources not present within your borders for a sum of gold
  • Getting a chance in the early game to acquire a copy of iron or an upgrade to culture/faith
  • Getting some sort of war-quest where you can get extra XP or promotions for units
  • Civ-specific events that use magistrates, can't remember any of them specifically but they were usually linked to the historic period of the civs leader. Maybe something like china reforming the imperial exam system or whatever and getting some kinda bonus or malus as a made up example

These are some of the ones I remember, and as far as I know they came with base VP.

Just had a look again at enabled mods, am I perhaps somehow missing one? Is the missing 8 Events and decisions?

View attachment 546346
Ok, I am an idiot.

Just realised I hadn't checked Events System enabled under game settings. Doh! Sorry if I wasted anyones time! I think after I reinstalled and cleared the cache I had to re select options there and must've missed it :blush::crazyeye:

*Edit: Still not getting the events I described above, dunno what the problem is!

Last edited:
Top Bottom