1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Theral, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Y.O.

Y.O. Warlord

How do I deal with ideological pressure when the civ in question (the celts) doing the pressuring is all the way across the globe in a continent I don't have access to? I'm getting 76 unhappiness from it and I have no way of stopping. Compound that and the fact that my illiteracy unhappiness is through the roof (110!) I'm kind of lost as to how I deal the excess unhappiness. I think I messed up by not going right into plastics to combat the accumulating illiteracy, but chose radio instead.

2. bigcat88

bigcat88 King

I know only one way: look throw all game at boredom and dont ask open border on those civs that have tourism/culture with aesthetics and immediately after flight propose travel ban in WC. Or play for Japan.
    If all is bad and u have no access to them to raise their cities - then change ideology. I don't know how fast get a large amount of culture(I think u already build circuses everywhere and spend all GreatWriters for culture boost).

3. PapaRockett

PapaRockett Prince

I'm having a hard time deciding something about tributes and city states

Just started a new game as Shaka and I'm next to 2 friendly city states (both cultured CS) and an irrational maritime one.

Shaka gets huge yields from demanding tribute (on top of Authority)

Should I commit to maintaining friendship with them, or keep on demanding tribute?

4. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

As Shaka I would just demand tribute. I currently have a Zulu game in Renaissance and I haven't even built the scrivener's office yet

PapaRockett likes this.
  5. ThirstQuencher

ThirstQuencher Chieftain

I would just build it for the happiness, since you are expanding wide you need every bit of happiness anyway

6. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Easiest thing, if you can't beat them, join them.

7. Txurce

Txurce Deity

I'm finishing a 5/10 game with the Dutch, and doing well with Tradition. Thanks to the biggest navy I've probably ever had (19 ships), I now have 11 cities, 5 of which are puppets. My army has 15 units, barely more than enough to garrison. My problem is that athough my cities are just about maxed out in terms of cap boosters, I don't have any in the 5 puppeted cities. What could I do about this, besides annexing? (That seems counter-productive going Tradition, but not gaining pop is counter-productive as the Dutch!)

8. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

You could get more puppets. My puppets usually build barracks fairly quickly.

Alternatively you can grow or build wonders

9. Txurce

Txurce Deity

I'm waiting for those barracks. They're at zero right now. I also have four arsenals to build. I've actually reduced the problem. It peaked at around a 70% penalty. But yes, adding puppets to eventually support the military may be what I need to do.

10. kawyua

kawyua Warlord

Why does the composite bowman have the upgrading obsolete unit chariot archer on the tooltip when I look at the research screen? Is there a way to make them upgrade that way because I can't. Or is this just a typo

ah its so difficult to upgrade the egypt uu...

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  11. HalfEmptyMug

HalfEmptyMug Chieftain

I'm not sure what exact tool tip you're looking at, but chariot archers (and Egypt's UU) upgrade into skirmishers, archers upgrade into composite bowmen and then crossbowmen.

Also, does Siam's UA affect unit gifts from militaristic city states, and by extension any of the policies in the statecraft policy tree (such as great person gifts and scholasticism's science bonus)?

12. kawyua

kawyua Warlord

You don't see this?
    egyptresearch.PNG
    Granted, it doesn't say the war chariot upgrades to comp bow... but it says it here. Huh. I thought there was some special circumstances and I thought that was why it was there.

Siam stuff looks interesting, but it specifically says yields from the city state. So the military and policies shouldn't be affected

13. HalfEmptyMug

HalfEmptyMug Chieftain

Ah, must be an EUI typo, I use the non-EUI version and it doesn't say that. It does upgrade to skirmisher correctly though.
    It didn't seem like it did from playing them myself, I just wanted to make sure. This seems like the only thing holding them back at this point, where if they could really make use of militaristic and great person gifts they could have a near Venetian level victory direction.

14. PapaRockett

PapaRockett Prince

I feel like I'm playing Authority wrong.

Are you meant to be in constant combat whenever possible? What about having friends?

15. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

You are supposed to be expanding. You don't have to be in constant combat. You can also intimidate and gets easy bonuses from expanding and bullying.

bigcat88 and PapaRockett like this.
  16. bigcat88

bigcat88 King

Friends will be that guys that are far from u, or such guys that can beat u in fight. But as Enginseer says the best what u can in early game is build units(without UU units the best choice is horseman, due to movespeed) for bullying CS and many settlers. If some AI are near u, they will pledge CS, u will demand 2-3 tributes - after that AI will DOW u. That's a easy way not to increase ur warmongering score.

PapaRockett likes this.
  17. alan_ktc

alan_ktc Chieftain

I just installed Vox on a clean civ 5, everything worked fine except that civs still retain their UA. Can anybody help me with this?

18. vyyt

vyyt Emperor

Are you sure that you are actually playing with the mod? Some people correctly activate the Vox Populi mod components but then wrongly click the back button and start the single player game which launches the unmodded game.

19. alan_ktc

alan_ktc Chieftain

I have been playing civ V for 3 years, I only just returned to play vox populi. I know how the mod menu works, i used mods before but its just that this mod changed everything as intended but the civ's UA.

20. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Check you have last civ v version and be sure to have every expansion. Try a fresh install. Play in English. Sometimes the installer is corrupted and need to be downloaded again.