Quick Questions / Quick Answers

Do you guys tax Vassals? I don't tax Vassals anything nowadays because I fear they will vote to sanction me (I typically get friendly with my Vassals in the Renaissance/Industrial period), but I'm not sure if I should be taxing them literally nothing.

I am under pressure...:sad:

Does anybody know how religious pressure is "calculated"
Why my cities has so high pressure from a distant religion, Buddhism?
Why my religion in Klagenfurt (next to my holy city) has half of the pressure than Buddhism?
Why not other civs receives the same amount of pressure (e.g Troyes)?

t1.jpg t2.jpg t3.jpg

Do you guys tax Vassals? I don't tax Vassals anything nowadays because I fear they will vote to sanction me (I typically get friendly with my Vassals in the Renaissance/Industrial period), but I'm not sure if I should be taxing them literally nothing.
Always at max. They often vote sanction me, but I don't know if they wouldn't I didn't tax them. They never wanted to liberate themselves, though.

Always at max. They often vote sanction me, but I don't know if they wouldn't I didn't tax them. They never wanted to liberate themselves, though.
Well, I have a game right now, my Vassal (Babylon) is friendly to me (hard-earned...they were anything but friendly when I first vassalized them. They go Guarded occasionally but are mostly friendly) and they voted to sanction my enemy, not me. Last domination game I didn't tax my vassal (Iroquois) and they stayed friendly as well, my other Vassal (China) also became friendly and stayed that way till the end. We will see, however, because I'm going to be warmongering some more and the warmongering diplo penalty is already fairly high.
They probably don't liberate themselves because they didn't satisfy those conditions.

Well, I have a game right now, my Vassal (Babylon) is friendly to me (hard-earned...they were anything but friendly when I first vassalized them. They go Guarded occasionally but are mostly friendly) and they voted to sanction my enemy, not me. Last domination game I didn't tax my vassal (Iroquois) and they stayed friendly as well, my other Vassal (China) also became friendly and stayed that way till the end. We will see, however, because I'm going to be warmongering some more and the warmongering diplo penalty is already fairly high.
They probably don't liberate themselves because they didn't satisfy those conditions.
Yeah, I also warmonger a lot, so I could benefit from my army (yields from authority, crippling enemies, capturing cities, promoting units) instead of them standing doing nothing, so I expect my vassals to dislike me. Late game with Authority it's impossible for them to liberate themselves and I can live with sanction on me, cause I won't have any good deals anyway, because of opinion of me, so why not benefit from Vassals to the max? Let's not forget that vassals have a maintenance cost.

Food is disappearing from my cities! What's going on? Every turn food has gone away from all cities. I have TWO maritime city-state allies.
upload_2018-7-25_1-24-31.png

Only 4 food under capital.

Next turn now, and it has gone down to ZERO food!
upload_2018-7-25_1-25-18.png

Not a singel food under any city at the moment!

Last edited:
I think I asked this somewhere, but I forget which thread and now lost my answer...

The new 20 city cap for religious picks - is it that converting cities after 20 provides no more bonuses at all, or that converting cities after 20 provides bonuses as if each was the 20th city?

I think I asked this somewhere, but I forget which thread and now lost my answer...

The new 20 city cap for religious picks - is it that converting cities after 20 provides no more bonuses at all, or that converting cities after 20 provides bonuses as if each was the 20th city?
Bonuses as if its the 20th city. so if you earn 10 of something per city, you earn 200 for city #20, #21, #22, etc.

Please help:

Crappy founder beliefs, I missed out on the good ones and need help choosing:
Setup is greece autocracy epic speed pangea plus in version 6/14.
Edit: and my goal is to go wide.

I can choose between:
Apostolic tradition, +food and GaP/new follower, is the Golden A Points and food worth that much? one of few left that scales with wide, looks like a mediocre amount of food and gp.
Divine inheritance, extra prod during GA, hrm I'm not playing a GA extreme civ and it doesnt have a #city scaler.
Hero Worship, faith and GaP when city conquered (but not when founded), sounds maybe useful production from holy sites is possibly a thing later?
Holy Law, faith, scence and gold/follower when a policy is unlocked, yeah I'll probably unlock 1.5 more trees is that worth it? maybe more as greece can get a lot of culture from killing stuff.
Theocratic rule, faith, culture and gold during WLK day, that sounds like a china belief.
Way of trancendence, yileds for new era, so I'll get that probably 3 times before game is over, sounds rotten to me.

Please help:

I can choose between:
Apostolic tradition, +food and GaP/new follower, is the Golden A Points and food worth that much? one of few left that scales with wide, looks like a mediocre amount of food and gp.
Divine inheritance, extra prod during GA, hrm I'm not playing a GA extreme civ and it doesnt have a #city scaler.
Hero Worship, faith and GaP when city conquered (but not when founded), sounds maybe useful production from holy sites is possibly a thing later?
Holy Law, faith, scence and gold/follower when a policy is unlocked, yeah I'll probably unlock 1.5 more trees is that worth it? maybe more as greece can get a lot of culture from killing stuff.
Theocratic rule, faith, culture and gold during WLK day, that sounds like a china belief.
Way of trancendence, yileds for new era, so I'll get that probably 3 times before game is over, sounds rotten to me.

My assessment of these selections is as follows.

Apostolic Tradition: The food and GP aren't mediocre, but I just don't see this as a wide founder belief choice. It's good for making a tiny empire's capital insanely strong and thus a small empire with a "big" feel. Based on what you've described as your goals, I don't think this is the choice for you.

Divine Inheritance: Another one that I find has its main use only in a tiny Empire. The only thing that benefits here is the Holy City, but you have so many other cities that could be getting benefits somehow, so I wouldn't go with this, either.

Hero Worship: This is a reasonable possibility: the Faith from conquering will indeed give you more chances at Great Prophets to make those Holy Sites. And spreading your religion isn't really the goal - Faith for Prophets for Holy Sites does make plenty of sense to pump out more fighting critters and keep ahead in Culture. A decent choice.

Holy Law: If you're murdering enemies on a regular basis and getting lots of culture on account of your Acropoli, and going wide, this definitely makes sense as a choice. You'll be getting policies fast enough to trigger the benefit more often than "standard" (whatever that is), and since you're going wide (and presumably conquering), you'll have lots of population from merely your own cities to make the bonus strong. Spread to other civs' cities as well and you can probably get more out of good. Another good choice.

Theocratic Rule: I don't think this is merely a China belief - if you're vigilant about trading resources or are producing Great Merchants at a rate to keep up WLTKD, this can be plenty useful. Nevertheless, I don't think it's the *best* choice - but it's not a *bad* choice.

Way of Transcendence: I don't actually even know how to assess this to be honest. I'll give the benefit of the doubt that when it was developed that it got tested three dozen times to see how the yields matched up to everything else and thus say that there's nothing wrong with it fundamentally. However, like Apostolic Tradition, I'd be inclined to say that this works best for a tiny empire that's really effective at spreading its religion around so the large yields are focused in a small area - so I don't think that this belief is for you.

Hope this helps. :D

Have a great day!

My assessment of these selections is as follows.

Apostolic Tradition: The food and GP aren't mediocre, but I just don't see this as a wide founder belief choice. It's good for making a tiny empire's capital insanely strong and thus a small empire with a "big" feel. Based on what you've described as your goals, I don't think this is the choice for you.

Divine Inheritance: Another one that I find has its main use only in a tiny Empire. The only thing that benefits here is the Holy City, but you have so many other cities that could be getting benefits somehow, so I wouldn't go with this, either.

Hero Worship: This is a reasonable possibility: the Faith from conquering will indeed give you more chances at Great Prophets to make those Holy Sites. And spreading your religion isn't really the goal - Faith for Prophets for Holy Sites does make plenty of sense to pump out more fighting critters and keep ahead in Culture. A decent choice.

Holy Law: If you're murdering enemies on a regular basis and getting lots of culture on account of your Acropoli, and going wide, this definitely makes sense as a choice. You'll be getting policies fast enough to trigger the benefit more often than "standard" (whatever that is), and since you're going wide (and presumably conquering), you'll have lots of population from merely your own cities to make the bonus strong. Spread to other civs' cities as well and you can probably get more out of good. Another good choice.

Theocratic Rule: I don't think this is merely a China belief - if you're vigilant about trading resources or are producing Great Merchants at a rate to keep up WLTKD, this can be plenty useful. Nevertheless, I don't think it's the *best* choice - but it's not a *bad* choice.

Way of Transcendence: I don't actually even know how to assess this to be honest. I'll give the benefit of the doubt that when it was developed that it got tested three dozen times to see how the yields matched up to everything else and thus say that there's nothing wrong with it fundamentally. However, like Apostolic Tradition, I'd be inclined to say that this works best for a tiny empire that's really effective at spreading its religion around so the large yields are focused in a small area - so I don't think that this belief is for you.

Hope this helps. :D

Have a great day!

Thank you, I had Holy Law in mind as a top contender and will go for it.
I would have prefered the culture follower belief as I also have the faith/hammer for border expansion, but I don't think I can afford to skip thrift.

Please help:

Holy law seems like the best belief in the game for Greece, i do not understand why you think you missed something. It directly synergize with Greece playstyle and grants you lots of faith that Greece does not have really.

Moreover i'd suggest you to take Scripture to spread your religion as much as possible (which will make your Holy Law even stronger) and after that you seem to have a perfect setup for a diplo Victory. Conqurer couple of neighbours, take Statecraft faster, use extra votes to get World Religion, get even more votes. This is an absolute perfect combo, this is exactly how one should play to win Deity.

After that you absolutely must rush for Summer palace. And build Chanceries ASAP then get a lot of allies ASAP. You will snowball like crazy. After Summer Palace go for Schools and then for Wire Service, after that rush Atomic Theory to get UN ASAP

Holy law seems like the best belief in the game for Greece, i do not understand why you think you missed something. It directly synergize with Greece playstyle and grants you lots of faith that Greece does not have really.

Moreover i'd suggest you to take Scripture to spread your religion as much as possible (which will make your Holy Law even stronger) and after that you seem to have a perfect setup for a diplo Victory. Conqurer couple of neighbours, take Statecraft faster, use extra votes to get World Religion, get even more votes. This is an absolute perfect combo, this is exactly how one should play to win Deity.

After that you absolutely must rush for Summer palace. And build Chanceries ASAP then get a lot of allies ASAP. You will snowball like crazy. After Summer Palace go for Schools and then for Wire Service, after that rush Atomic Theory to get UN ASAP

Thanks for input but you play a different game than me and things like MUST and you have to does not comply well for me.
I also dont play diety which changes things (king atm), sorry I forgot to mention that.
On pangea plus I'm not garantueed any nearby city states.

As for whats missing, nothing beats COE in production.

Last question I had was obviously a bug that happened to me. Is this another one? I count 8 food but apparently the hoovering of the mousepointer over food, tells me that I only produce 6! This city should be growing but isn't; shouldn't it!?
upload_2018-7-26_19-35-26.png

EDIT: And I was sure that this city had been growing as a size 3. So I went back a few saves and found that it acctually had, but suddenly it had stopped due to losing two food. But why?

upload_2018-7-26_19-40-45.png

EDIT: It's obviously a bug, I had to go back to the save of 3960 which gave me this correct display of food. Then if I loaded the turn after that 3920. The city would be stagnant due to losing 2 food for what ever reason. BUT if I replayed from 3960 to 3920 the city wouldn't lose 2 foods!

Last edited:
Thanks for input but you play a different game than me and things like MUST and you have to does not comply well for me.
I also dont play diety which changes things (king atm), sorry I forgot to mention that.
On pangea plus I'm not garantueed any nearby city states.

As for whats missing, nothing beats COE in production.
Well you asked for an advice which sounds like you want to improve your skill... I gave you an advice, obviously it is up to you whether you to use it or not. I'm pretty sure that it is possible to win on King going for Tradition >> Progress >> Authority IF you do everything else right

Last question I had was obviously a bug that happened to me. Is this another one? I count 8 food but apparently the hoovering of the mousepointer over food, tells me that I only produce 6! This city should be growing but isn't; shouldn't it!?
View attachment 500328

EDIT: And I was sure that this city had been growing as a size 3. So I went back a few saves and found that it acctually had, but suddenly it had stopped due to losing two food. But why?

View attachment 500329

EDIT: It's obviously a bug, I had to go back to the save of 3960 which gave me this correct display of food. Then if I loaded the turn after that 3920. The city would be stagnant due to losing 2 food for what ever reason. BUT if I replayed from 3960 to 3920 the city wouldn't lose 2 foods!
Did you load an autosave file? I've noticed yields disappearing from those before

Happiness tips?

I play on Prince and get annihilated by unhappiness in the mid-game, most of my empire revolts. I'm looking at between -15 to -35 happiness. Most of my unhappiness seems to be coming from crime, with a bit of boredom/illiteracy. I expand a bit but not more than the AI. I have the most updated military unit garrisons in my cities, usually ranged units, and barracks/armouries everywhere. I still get like 4 crime unhappiness in all cities but cap. Poverty is never a problem, I always have tons of money and always invest in science/culture buildings, I would invest in constabularies but by that point i'm already screwed. I had to scrap my last three games because of this, hope I can get some tips and maybe give me some insight into why I am getting such severe malices. Am I teching too fast?

Happiness tips?

I play on Prince and get annihilated by unhappiness in the mid-game, most of my empire revolts. I'm looking at between -15 to -35 happiness. Most of my unhappiness seems to be coming from crime, with a bit of boredom/illiteracy. I expand a bit but not more than the AI. I have the most updated military unit garrisons in my cities, usually ranged units, and barracks/armouries everywhere. I still get like 4 crime unhappiness in all cities but cap. Poverty is never a problem, I always have tons of money and always invest in science/culture buildings, I would invest in constabularies but by that point i'm already screwed. I had to scrap my last three games because of this, hope I can get some tips and maybe give me some insight into why I am getting such severe malices. Am I teching too fast?

Which patch are you playing on? One of the older ones (IIRC May or June) had a happiness bug that was fixed, and caused happiness to bounce around all over the place.

Top Bottom