Quo's Combined Tweaks

Quo's Combined Tweaks v7.0.19 BETA

@VCrakeV

If you ignore the moniker "ranged attack" and only consider the abstract effect, single range spearmen aren't really silly. They're getting in a preemptive attack (under optimal circumstances) and they take no damage on offense. I think this is a plausible way to represent the advantage of employing a "reach weapon" in a combat system that has major scale issues.

What I find implausible is that ranged class units are able to harm naval class units in any substantial way (prior to modern weaponry). That's a separate matter, and including spears in ranged class doesn't really make it any worse... just more obvious. Ideally, only naval class should be attacking naval class in earlier eras. Siege class is arguable.

Just my 2 cents :)

About the district bonuses... I think they should be scaled back, if not removed. Or, if possible, make it toggable in MyOptions. Not only is it against the common philosophy "smarter AI, not privileged AI", but it also gets out of hand. It's huge early game, as without science and culture from population, every point counts. And as others have said, they just continue to ramp up throughout the game, always putting you in catch up.

As for anti cav, I think that's a bad idea. Barbarians are a pain in the ass as it is. I don't want to have to produce a small army just to take over an encampment. Perhaps if they have a "counter", like giving melee units bonus damage towards them.

As it has been said, the ranged nature of spearmen is pretty silly, as it allows you to attack ships. I also can't imagine them attacking warriors without getting scratched. Their spears aren't that long... I think it'd be best if we kept melee anti cav, and just did a triangular system: anti cav get bonus strength attacking and defending cavalry, cavlary get extra movement to chase down ranged units, and ranged units get bonus damage against anti cav... or some sort of rock paper scissor system. Just my 2 cents.

PS: are you taking general feedback and suggestions, or only on things you ask about?

Technically the bonus is toggable under MyOptions under the category of "Use Hardcore Rules." Turning off Hardcore rules will do two things:
  • Use Vanilla rules for free Population from Science and Culture (1 Population = 0.7 Science and 0.3 Culture).
  • Give the AI a rising bonus base on how many districts it builds. It gets 1 free sci/cult per district at the start, then gets an additional 2 per at Renaissance, rising to 4 per at Modern.
Prior to the Summer patch, this was enough to keep the AI fairly competitive. The bonus was added because AIs are not smart enough to adapt to the no free population rule, so falling behind.

The reason this is all rolled into a single option instead of multiple options at the current time is that its actually at least 5 different values. I didn't want to overwhelm people with options, hence the singular "Hardcore" option on or off.

Also yes, I'm open to feedback on any aspect of the mod.

@VCrakeV

If you ignore the moniker "ranged attack" and only consider the abstract effect, single range spearmen aren't really silly. They're getting in a preemptive attack (under optimal circumstances) and they take no damage on offense. I think this is a plausible way to represent the advantage of employing a "reach weapon" in a combat system that has major scale issues.

What I find implausible is that ranged class units are able to harm naval class units in any substantial way (prior to modern weaponry). That's a separate matter, and including spears in ranged class doesn't really make it any worse... just more obvious. Ideally, only naval class should be attacking naval class in earlier eras. Siege class is arguable.

Just my 2 cents :)

The partial idea behind this mod is that battles cover more territory than the base game. I find the Vanilla tactics too squashed down in scale, which is why some of the earliest features of this mod were the rocketboots an changes to siege units. It does mean players who prefer a more realistic approach have to contend with arrows shot from one side of London hitting Paris. But that is due to the scaling.

I still feel like the naval game is severely lacking, and for that reason I'm fine for now with land units striking naval units. It's very possible for me to create code that gives naval units widespread protection against basic Ranged units if there's a strong base of support for that, but it's not something I feel very strongly about. What I've been contemplating is adding some kind of "naval blockade" that affects a city in some way if an enemy ship is even merely inside its borders. I think it's doable with the rulesets we have now. If I do this, then I think the role of coastal cities themselves needs to be further explored.

I think the ice removing code can probably be disabled now since fireaxis addressed circumnavigation in an official patch

Good point. I'll consider it. When that feature was originally put in this mod the ice was a real problem. I haven't looked at more recent maps to see if it's gotten better. Adding it back in could let me think of a few abilities, wonders, or policies tied specifically to Ice, altho I'd have to think about what those would be.

I found Firaxis's ice fix to be pretty good. Sometimes it does create a weird long straight stretch of snow 1 tile wide, but not bad.

I will say that the no ice generation means there is usually more land, so a map feels bigger than the default generation. I used to add +1 AI at each map size to make up for the additional space.

isau updated Quo's Combined Tweaks with a new update entry:

Quo's Combined Tweaks v3.14.6 BETA

Various bug fixes, updates, and minor changes, as well as a partial rollout of the "MyScratchpad" feature.

MyScratchpad
A sql file called MyScratchpad is now included in the mod folder. This file can be used to input your various changes to the mod. Some sample code is included in this file.
  • This file loads after all files included in this mod, so you can reference any object created or manipulated by the mod.
  • If you are using a database query tool, you can...

Read the rest of this update entry...

So, my attempt to add the Palace as a valid prereq apparently broke Walls in cities other than the Capital. I'll patch tomorrow. Sorry about that.

Hello,
Am currently using your Mod version 3.14.6 Beta from earlier this month, and having fun with it. Noticed that this most recent Mod version is using the same v3.14.6 Beta identifier, which could cause some confusion. Could you possibly use a different Mod version number when you next update the Mod? Thanks!

isau updated Quo's Combined Tweaks with a new update entry:

Quo's Combined Tweaks v3.14.9 BETA

I got some extra time this week to work on some extra features, so I'm sneaking a few late features in cycle 3.14.

General Changes
  • Aqueducts
    • Removed the radial fresh water bonus from Aqueducts for performance reasons. This is now an exclusive feature of Roman Baths, mainly in order to limit the hit to performance checking for radial bonuses creates in the late game.

Changes to Civs
  • India
    • On completing a Holy Site,...

Read the rest of this update entry...

How would i go about removing the gaining vision of every other civ as Cathrine? It says in the change log "Updated the mechanism that trigger's Catherine de Medici discovery of other civilizations when they research Astrology." But i can't find the mechanism. i have gone through every file that include the words France, Astrology, Cathrine de medichi and visibility :(
I also tried deleting all her improvements in her the Quo_Civ_Code file. But that only inlcudes the chateu and cheaper spies.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Gekko :) I think i have fixed it now. I found that Meeting all the civilizations so early in the game on huge maps took out all the fun of exploring the world, so that is why i wanted to remove it :)

I can move Reconquest War if that's what you guys want. I actually have code written to move it typed out, but commented out at the moment. It's fairly simple to move them (one line of code). As long as no one objects I'll move them next chance I get.

I'm less sure about moving the Suite. TBH with all the changes Firaxis has made I'm no longer even sure the Suite really fits the game anymore. I've been thinking of just removing it. But if people like it I can keep it and push it forward. I admit in my recent games I've struggled to find reasons to build entertainment districts.

I like the suite, it provides a bit more utility to the entertainment complex and choosing between it and the zoo is an interesting decision to make. I'd change the entertainment complex buildings to give 1 regional amenity for arena, 2 for zoo and 3 for stadium so they scale better.

Another pet peeve I have is I think the nerf to aztec builder charges makes them annoying to play, so I removed it and changed the templo mayor to be 400 hammers, built in the holy site, no food loss and unlocked at theology so it comes just a bit later than the entertainment complex and tlachtli. I think this is fine since they essentially lose their district rush ability due to everyone else also gaining it, plus I blocked them from getting the ambassador suite ( renamed to chancery ) by making it mutually exclusive with the tlachtli as well as the zoo.

Last edited:
First this is a 5 stars mod! For now, i love it!!!
I saw a minor bug. On the tech tree, when you mouse over the star in writing, the builder action, whatever it is is missing.
writing civ bug.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm back with another balance question.

I'm still looking at the final 3 governments and their advantages. Here's a screenshot of the current values:

upload_2017-8-23_23-47-46.png

My gut feeling is that Democracy is in a good place and as "gonzo" as I intended it to be. Combined with the ability to rush Districts with Builders in particular, you can really irritate rival civs, and they can irritate back.

The other 2 I'm less sure of. Extra range in Fascism is mainly applicable to units that are more or less Defensive units anyway. So in a way they kind of feel to me like they're doing similar things.

My proposal is to roll the extra range and the and urban defenses together into Communism. Then put something in Fascism that is very offensive and makes you worry about Fascism players coming at you.

I'm thinking the main frustration in the late game is troop movement. So perhaps Fascism could help with that. +2 Moves for Siege units for example could be a possibility, if people don't think it's too overpowered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One more thing. I find I get very bored with the game in around the Industrial period. Like not enough is going on and other than new units, and that lasts a very long time until the period with new governments. I'm trying to think of ways to make this leg of the game less dull. I have nothing solid yet. Needless to say though I am looking at some "slow trickle" systems and seeing whether they can be made more "bursty." The missing United Nations mechanics, I think, contribute to the sense of malaise. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to add that in. I feel this set of eras needs something that feels very different from previous eras, but havent settled on what yet. I'll keep thinking about it and see what I can do.

Top Bottom