Quo's Combined Tweaks

Quo's Combined Tweaks v7.0.19 BETA

I believe communism should be a 'sit back, defend, and have insane production and science' type of situation... so perhaps add science boosts?

Have urban defenses been removed with the exception of communism?

your proposal sounds reasonable, what about +1 move for siege units and +2 moves for melee units? I'd also change the anti cavalry range buff to +1

by the way the code that sets maryannu chariot archers to 80 hammers can be removed now since the summer patch buffed them and made them cheaper already.

I think this formula would be better for ranged anticavalry: Ranged Combat = Combat - 5, Combat = Combat +5

I also think it would be better to boost the innate anti cavalry and anti spear combat bonus to +15 and leave the promotions unchanged. nerf to barb spearmen could go down to -5

I agree with the poster who suggested making autocracy 1 diplomatic 1 military and oligarchy 2 military slots

is it intended that the royal navy dockyard unlocks at both naval tradition and celestial navigation?

Last edited:
I agree with smity. Before I even used this mod, I took it to myself to change Communism to be distinct from Fascism. In particular, I removed 2 military slots, and added 2 economic slots, to more accurately reflect actual Communism. I also figured Democracy should be more of a jack of all trades government, so I changed one economic slot into a military slot. I'm not asking for these changes in the mod, as I've made them myself, but rather I am just sharing my thoughts.

I feel the changes you propose would be nice, though I'm not sure how balanced it would be, and if the movement or ranged bonuses should be changed or not. Probably best to just roll it out, and see how it works out.

is it possible for civ mods to check for the existence of other mods? as in, if mod X is installed and turned on, include this code, otherwise, don't include this code.

something I've noticed is that, naturally, any changes made to the base game by this mod doesn't include changes made by other mods. so, for example, when setting the resource requirement from 2 to 1 in the config files, swordsmen only need 1 iron to be made anywhere, but riders, a Moar Units unit, requires 2, unless it's made in a city with an encampment, as per vanilla. thinking about it now, the ranged anti-cav is also probably conflicting there as well. these are things that can simply be turned off in the config, though, and don't seem to be major problems even when left on. even so, if mods can check for the existence for other mods, it'd be nice if this mod could check for popular mods such as moar units and the like (I don't know if the omnibus is popular or not, though it's certainly in need of an update, even though the base setting also works with quo's tweaks, but if the 10% production to settlers is something you've added to each building in the city center, then I'm pretty sure the cistern and water treatment plant don't count here)

Is this this mod or the AI is such a mess? In my first game with QUO's on, the AI declare wars for the 3rd time and they don't even send a single unit at me. I did not check if this is the same without QUO's mod?
China declare war.jpg

Is this this mod or the AI is such a mess? In my first game with QUO's on, the AI declare wars for the 3rd time and they don't even send a single unit at me. I did not check if this is the same without QUO's mod?
View attachment 476530

I don't think that is related to anything in this mod. The mod can tip the mood of AIs somewhat (generally more toward positive, based on early game mood being generally very harsh.) It doesn't make any direct changes to the AIs willingness to declare war.

Most likely what you are seeing is AIs declaring Joint Wars. They sometimes do this if they are friendly with each other in return for trade deals.

there's a feature in NQ mod I think you'd like, barb camps only spawn cavalry units if they are within 3 tiles of a horse resource

Panteon with +2 production for mine, seems don't work. Could you check please ?

City state don't engage enemy units, even when enemy units are near them.

Bye

Just played my first game with this mod (standalone).

Absolutely first rate! Really felt like a different game. Played Emperor with Epic speed, which worked out a perfect challenge.

Maybe it was just my map setting, but Religion was a lot more fun than Vanilla as the AI sent apostles in waves, with lulls in between, so it actually was worth it to protect your Religion (unlike Vanilla where the AI never, never. ever stops spamming missionaries and apostles at this difficulty.)

Great job on the mod.

The only feedback I would like to offer is to remove the 3 forced (OK) clicks EVERY time you load your game. I'm not save-scumming or anything, its just a little annoying and perfectly needless after you are 100+ turns into a game.

[snip]

The only feedback I would like to offer is to remove the 3 forced (OK) clicks EVERY time you load your game. I'm not save-scumming or anything, its just a little annoying and perfectly needless after you are 100+ turns into a game.
That definitely is annoying, but it never happened until after the recent Summer Patch. I think the glitch must be connected with that.

That definitely is annoying, but it never happened until after the recent Summer Patch. I think the glitch must be connected with that.

I'm still not quite sure why the pop-up happens when reloading a save. I might be able to suppress it by checking the turn number before allowing the first one to pop up. The way those pop-ups work is by hijacking the built in Tutorial system. It's possible I caused the pop-ups to become an issue when I added the third pop-up, which displays the MyOptions settings.

I've been trying out this mod for the first time, and so far I'm loving it!

I think its a great overall improvement to the game. Just had a couple of thoughts:

1) I'm all for lowering science a bit, but I think completely removing population from the science equation is a bit much. For example, in my current game, I checked the math and I am losing 40% of my original expected science because of the population science removal. That is a lot, and I even have the 100% campus adjacency policy in place. Maybe it could be .25 or .3 science per pop instead of .7.

2) I love how I can sort my trade routes by yields, and can hit shift to select multiple yields. However, each time I do a shift select it actually takes me to another city. The sorting still works if I go back to the trade unit, but its quite annoying.

A few more thoughts after another playtest.

1) I went ahead and adjusted science/culture to be 33% of population instead of the base 70%. That worked better with my personal sense of how long science should take.

2) Something I noticed before I changed the numbers on number 1. I am seeing some really big bonuses to culture through trade routes (ie +10) due to "other bonuses". I am not seeing the same for science. Is that a bug?

3) Using this with AI+. On King, I have found the AI to be exceptionally passive. I am now in the modern age with 1/3 the military score of most of the other AI, and not a single war. I have been denounced a few times, but nothing stronger than that. I have built no walls, no encampments, and only a handful of units. I brought it up in the AI+ forum as well, as it may be a conflict between the 2.

4) Something that bothers me about Holy Sites...I find them to be really front loaded. Faith is nice if you are pushing a religious strategy, but otherwise all you use it for most of the game is for GP (and it takes a LOT of faith to get one of those, unless you are shaving just a few turns). Ultimately other than building the shrine/temple to get my bonus building, I don't see the need to build these in but a few cities. Meanwhile I will take every harbor, campus, and theater area I can get.

5) One thought on amenities, even at ecstatic you are only get +10% to yields. Its nice, but it might make sense to juice that up just a little, perhaps 15%. It also helps keep smaller civs that can get a lot of amenities to be more competitive with wider civs.

One thing I've noticed with the AI settling is that they often have a settler out but it takes them a very long time to actually put down a city. It's like they're searching for the perfect spot or something. It often leads to their cities not being very tighly clustered either since they settle all over the map (depending on where the "best" tiles are, usually the ones with the most resources) which makes it easier to pick off their cities one at a time. Is there any way to get the AI to care less about finding that perfect tile and settle closer to their empire. By having a settler roaming for so many turns the AI is missing out on a lot of valuable time that could be spent building that city up and building another settler.

isau, do you happen to know which file has the line of code that determines how many turns are required before peace can be declared? The AI tends to make peace with other AI civs too quickly which means that few cities get conquered by the AI. I'd like to try increasing the number of turns until a peace deal is allowed to see if that will give the AI enough time to truly conquer other AI civs.

Is there any way to make this mod compatible with 8 Ages of War? :) If not, that's okay.

Has anyone noticed legacy bonuses out of wack? Every time I switch to a new government, within a level or between levels, I end up getting bonuses from governments that I never had, and no legacy bonuses from my previous governments. For example, if I switch to communism (first time at the 3rd level), I immediately get bonuses from fascism, even though I do not have the appropriate civic at this time. Playing with the following mods:

QUO, YnAMP, production queue, better trade screen.

Hey guys, quick update. I dropped and broke my laptop last week during a move and haven't been able to do much to the the mod of late. I've got my eye on the upcoming Fall update and will be prepared to fix an new incompatibilities and balance issues that arise.

Hey guys, quick update. I dropped and broke my laptop last week during a move and haven't been able to do much to the the mod of late. I've got my eye on the upcoming Fall update and will be prepared to fix an new incompatibilities and balance issues that arise.

I love your mod. Just small question: is it compatible enough with custom leaders and civilizations? I have encountered that Elizabeth's of Russia (JFD's creation) unique building available for everybody to build in city. Maybe I should ask JFD instead, and it's because I didn't update game to summer patch with latest modders' fixes (and I really don't want to update because of how broken AI is). Can't wait to use your newer versions as well, I'm still in beta of your mod.

Top Bottom