Quo's Combined Tweaks

Quo's Combined Tweaks v7.0.19 BETA

Thanks for sharing that. I am not familiar with most of those mods. Looking in the database, the shortened build times should be working correctly. I think it may be a conflict between mods. Do any of those modify building production times somehow?

To my knowledge, none of the other mods affect building times at all. Civics/Research Time X2 just double the culture/science required to earn a civic/tech, research reminder simply pops up the tech/civic selection if you hit half-way on an unboosted tech/civic, and the other two affect only map generation (to my knowledge). I might have a crack at a game without the other mods active and see what happens...

To my knowledge, none of the other mods affect building times at all. Civics/Research Time X2 just double the culture/science required to earn a civic/tech, research reminder simply pops up the tech/civic selection if you hit half-way on an unboosted tech/civic, and the other two affect only map generation (to my knowledge). I might have a crack at a game without the other mods active and see what happens...

Ok I will take a second look soon to verify its working as intended. Thanks for reporting the issue.

I have a couple questions:

Why is the "less rebels spawning" in the barb code commented out? it seems like it would be of great help to the AI :)

Can you elaborate on why you thought the +1 moves to all units handicapped siege units so that they needed a range increase?

Shufl, I have good news. You are absolutely correct about an error in the code that updates the Wonders. I made a very very silly mistake in how I executed the code. The next patch, which will probably be released this weekend, will correct the issue. Thank you very much for pointing it out.

I have a couple questions:

Why is the "less rebels spawning" in the barb code commented out? it seems like it would be of great help to the AI :)

Can you elaborate on why you thought the +1 moves to all units handicapped siege units so that they needed a range increase?

Hi Gekko, good questions and sharp eye. :) The less rebels spawning code is coded out because although I wrote it, I didn't have sufficient time to test it. It's the kind of thing that takes a long while to test, and it made me nervous to include it because I wasn't sure if that adjustment might cause other odd behavior. Rather than delete it completely, I just commented it out. You can uncomment it at your own risk. :)

The change to Siege units came mostly to normalize the AIs interactions with them and make them worth building. They do very poor damage to actual units. I was hoping AIs would be a little more threatening by increasing range to 3. The siege units that come later in the game also have 3 range, so that is why I felt like that change to the three earlier units was okay. On higher difficulties, even with expanded range on Siege units, I still have some trouble dealing with enemy capitals. This is playing in Hardcore mode (from the Additional Settings menu), with the AI++ mod, Emperor difficulty. Keep in mind that all Siege units have Move 2 in this mod, not the Move 3 of other units (changed in a patch a few weeks ago).

yep I've noticed the movement speed nerf coupled with the removal of "can't attack after move" and I definitely agree with it, I was using AI siege help mod before but I think I like your implementation better ( also removing urban defenses seems like a good idea )

since I'm not using the palace walls tweak I'm not going to use the siege range buff for now. Do city states also have palaces by the way?

yep I've noticed the movement speed nerf coupled with the removal of "can't attack after move" and I definitely agree with it, I was using AI siege help mod before but I think I like your implementation better ( also removing urban defenses seems like a good idea )

since I'm not using the palace walls tweak I'm not going to use the siege range buff for now. Do city states also have palaces by the way?

Yes, City States have Palaces, so they have walls at the start. I went back and forth on whether to leave it this way. Since it's much easier to just update all Palaces so they work as walls than to create a special ability only for Major civs so they get the wall effect from their palaces, I left this way. I think it works out in the end. One of the big things in this mod was making it harder to just bum rush your opponents before they could get a defense going like I used to do in Vanilla. Combined with AI++, on Emperor difficulty (my default for testing) I think its performing fairly nicely. At least as nice as it can given how bumbling the AI often is with its units. :)

That said, in a recent game as England I got into some pretty epic skirmishes with India and France. France actually used the heightened move rate of units to swarm one of my unwalled cities. I did manage to keep the city, but only barely. If she'd had perhaps one more unit I'd have lost the city. Very sneaky of you, Catherine.

BTW, since we're discussing changes to Urban Defenses, a change I'm testing right now is to the Bastions policy, which grants additional ranged strength to cities. Assuming nothing breaks, in the next patch that policy will give all cities the ability to fire an attack even if they lack walls. So, you'll have the ability to go defensive again, but will have to pay a policy slot cost for it.

Last edited:
city states start with 5 tiles and get 1 more from each envoy, so if you remove the free envoy you also have to add this code:

Code:
UPDATE CivilizationLevels SET StartingTilesForCity = StartingTilesForCity + 1 WHERE CivilizationLevelType = 'CIVILIZATION_LEVEL_CITY_STATE' AND StartingTilesForCity < 6;

-----------------------------------------------

I was looking at the Settlers Retreat mod and I've noticed that mod also includes this code, however I'm not sure if it's needed or redundant:

Code:
DELETE FROM UnitCaptures                        WHERE CapturedUnitType = 'UNIT_SETTLER';

------------------------------------------------

where is the code that increases diplomacy actions duration in this mod? do you know if the duration is affected by gamespeed?

city states start with 5 tiles and get 1 more from each envoy, so if you remove the free envoy you also have to add this code:

Code:
UPDATE CivilizationLevels SET StartingTilesForCity = StartingTilesForCity + 1 WHERE CivilizationLevelType = 'CIVILIZATION_LEVEL_CITY_STATE' AND StartingTilesForCity < 6;

-----------------------------------------------

I was looking at the Settlers Retreat mod and I've noticed that mod also includes this code, however I'm not sure if it's needed or redundant:

Code:
DELETE FROM UnitCaptures                        WHERE CapturedUnitType = 'UNIT_SETTLER';

where is the code that increases diplomacy actions duration in this mod? do you know if the duration is affected by gamespeed?

Thanks. :)

I'm going to leave the envoy code as-is for now. The City States seem to working fine with just 5 starter tiles versus 6. This mod already chokes off settling locations quicker than Vanilla, so I think I'm okay with them not getting that first tile grab until someone completes a quest or sends an envoy manually.

The second piece of code is largely redundant. In general, I try to avoid DELETE statements because they can have side effects when people load other mods. In that particular case, the DELETE is probably fine. But just in general I tend to avoid them.

isau updated Quo's Combined Tweaks with a new update entry:

Quo Combined Tweaks v2.6

Included in this update:

Updated Bastions Policy
  • The Bastions policy now gives you a city attack in every city, even if you lack walls
  • (It also gives a couple of hit points of wall defense, but very little)
  • I may not leave this policy this way. Releasing it for now so people can play with it. My testing doesn't reveal any major bugs, but please report any you find.

Changes to Brazilian Street Carnivals
  • Each street carnival in your empire now...

Read the rest of this update entry...

ok I found the code, I still don't know if it's affected by gamespeed though :D

I don't believe it is. It uses the same mechanics as the core game. I didn't do a lot of gamespeed testing, but I think it does not scale.

Hey players, can you guys identify for me any game elements that still stick out to you as particularly underpowered? I have a short list I'd like to buff, but my time rarely allows for deep diving into some of the finer points of the later game.

My short list right now is:
  • Some of the various pantheons that add +1 or +2 to a rare tile
  • English Sea Dogs, which I've been hearing about on other forums being broken
  • The Sack/Raid and Total War policies, which are all basically the same thing but set up really strangely

Possibilities I'm unsure of:
  • India's abilities feel kind of weak to me, but I wonder if that could be fixed by changing the beliefs, so holding off on it until a religion review

What else stands out?

FYI the other thing on my "eventual" list is clearly displaying for each wonder and unit what era it belongs to so its clear when a particular policy applies. However, this is slightly tricky to do without making the display on screen hard to read. I'm thinking through options. One of them may be actually making the later Policies apply to units/wonders in the era listed on the card and all previous eras, rather than just the narrow range of eras on the card, but it requires a lot of code to achieve.

isau updated Quo's Combined Tweaks with a new update entry:

Quo Combined Tweaks v2.7 - The Pantheon Update

This release brings changes to several of the Pantheon beliefs, along with some other assorted additions, including a new ability for India.

Updates to India
  • India now starts with enough Faith to turn a Pantheon on Turn 1
  • I can't take full credit for this idea. It is shamelessly copied from the Civ 5 Vox Populi mod. However, I was a fan of it there, so it is revived here.

Pantheon Changes
I have made changes to a number of Pantheons. I tried to stay away...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I've finally taken the time to update the main page with a full list of the changes this mod makes. Thanks for hanging on with me up to this point, its funny how this started as just a mod to combine a few lines of code and spun off into something larger. :)

To be honest this is still one of my favorite changes in this mod. It requires some decision making about which cities you think deserve an Encampment to protect them. Border cities? The capital? It's up to you. And it also lets you watch enemy territory and quickly determine which locations are capturable and which will be a challenge. Most importantly, it creates some variability in the capabilities of AIs to take cities. Running this mod with AI++ (a recommended combo) I frequently see AIs succeed at capturing cities. Sometimes even mine if I'm not careful. :)
Can someone tell me where to find the AI++ mod? I see a listing for an AI+ mod but I'm not sure if it's the one being referred to.

Top Bottom