Quo's Combined Tweaks

Quo's Combined Tweaks v7.0.19 BETA

Oops, there's a typo in the latest release. The Arabesque bonus "+1 gold on river tiles in cities with at least 8 population" is wrong; the population requirement was raised to 12. Its on the list to fix in the next update.

@isau,
Hey, can you add the version numbers in the download? or at least in the .modinfo file? I am having problems keeping them all straight.
-jeff

You can see the version number in the .modinfo file. The reason the folder itself doesn't have a version number is to make sure players can't save the mod twice in the same folder, which causes mod crashes.

isau updated Quo's Combined Tweaks with a new update entry:

Quo's Combined Tweaks v6.0.16 BETA

After months of existing in an "Alpha" status v6 of the mod is finally progressing toward Beta. Beta status means increased stability and (generally) freedom from major issues, which are ideally ironed out in the Alpha releases. Unfortunately, I don't think Firaxis has yet updated the Mac version of the game, which limits the ability to declare strong stability.

The changes in this beta patch are fairly small.

Changes
  • Biomes
    • On the character select screen, each...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I'm not sure if this is a bug regarding this mod or the base game, but has anyone else have trouble building the great wall improvement? I find I can place it in some appropriate tiles, but not in other essentially identical tiles (e.g two desert hill tiles in my territory). I don't have another mod that affects the great wall, so I figure it's this mod. I did post my problem in the technical support section though (with screenshots), in case it's a base game bug. I tried updating to the new beta version, but that didn't help.

it can only be built in a line alongside your cultural borders, and not on floodplains which is pretty annoying

So, it can't be built unless it's on the edge of your borders? Like, if my borders encompass a 36 tile hexagon, I can only build 3 tiles from the city center (and not just 1 or 2 tiles from the city center)?

Spoiler Great Wall Example :
upload_2018-6-25_16-37-8.png

So, it can't be built unless it's on the edge of your borders? Like, if my borders encompass a 36 tile hexagon, I can only build 3 tiles from the city center (and not just 1 or 2 tiles from the city center)?
when your borders grow beyond the three tile radius, you can build the wall out there too.

Correct. This is the same as the unmodded game behavior. The Great Wall specifically can only be built on tiles at the edge of a border. If the border later expands the Great Wall improvement isn't wiped away though.

If you want to change this requirement, you could post this code into the MyScratchpad.sql file:

Code:
UPDATE Improvements SET BuildOnFrontier=0 WHERE ImprovementType='IMPROVEMENT_GREAT_WALL';

Can someone tell me if this mod is still under development, and if it works with Rise & Fall? I'm writing up a list of Civ 6 mods and I don't want to add this if it's no longer a work-in-progress. Please let me know!

Thanks

Can someone tell me if this mod is still under development, and if it works with Rise & Fall? I'm writing up a list of Civ 6 mods and I don't want to add this if it's no longer a work-in-progress. Please let me know!

Thanks

Yes and yes.

Thanks

Yes it is still in development and sees an update about once a week. It was originally just supposed to be a very small mod that combined a couple of small tweaks I had written back in Nov 2016, but since then I fell in love with modding. It's still very much an informal, fan made project, but it keeps me out of trouble on the weekends. :)

Community members--

Now that you've had a chance to play with Biomes for a while, I was hoping I could do a small poll.

• How do you like Biomes overall?
  • Do you have a favorite Biome to play?
  • Do you have a least favorite Biome to play?
  • Are the certain Biomes you enjoy or dislike encountering on the AI?
I can't guarantee I will make changes, but since this is a fairly big feature with lots of game impact and currently the thing I've been tweaking most I'm very interested in your comments.

I quite like the concept of Biomes, and enjoy them in practice very much, especially the ones that have the more drastic effects, in particular the ones that have both positive and negative effects: The New World comes to mind. Western Europe and Eurasian Steppe (can't remember the exact words) are also very interesting twists on game conventions. Some of the others just feel a little too bland and/or underpowered (Asian Pacific, Asian Expanse).

The bigger concern I have is that I'm unsure that AI knows how to compensate for their various bonuses and maluses.

Biomes are a great addition, but I wonder also if the AI accounts for them. I think the exact effect of the Hellenic Biome needs clarification: what does it mean to further lose identity?

Some of the others just feel a little too bland and/or underpowered (Asian Pacific, Asian Expanse).

Yeah these were the two specifically was thinking of as not being very exciting. :)

RE: the AI, you are correct that it mostly does not account for the special bonuses, although some are coded in a way to attempt to strong-arm some of the benefits. Soviet Bloc and its wave of Anti-Cavalry during the Industrial era, for example. FWIW the reason the code is "Cannot build Unit X at all" for some civs and not "Penalty to unit X" is to similarly strongarm the AI.

I think the exact effect of the Hellenic Biome needs clarification: what does it mean to further lose identity?

There are two components to the Hellenic struggle to maintain loyalty:
  • The main effect is a -40% penalty to influence per citizen. This is present all game. It's is 10% less strong than the penalty you get in a Dark Age (that penalty is -50%).
  • In the Renaissance, on top of the above penalty, you also lose a flat -3 influence per city. This influence lost is subtracted directly from the top, so cities generating little influence will struggle.
  • The two effects above mean that if Rome hits the Ren period while in a Dark Age they could easily collapse. More realistically, this should probably occur in the Medieval era (or end of the Classical). But to make the Ren period more interesting in general, it occurs there.

I still want to add some interesting effects to the Atomic and Information eras. Perhaps I should think about the Asian Expanse and Asian Pacific civs some more in those eras.

My 2 cents about the pool. I fall in love with your mod because the biome idea is what the game must have in order to give replyability. Civ is not a game about the history. I don't like Biomes designed thinking to the history without any importance for victory conditions. I don't find a way to read biomes in game: it's frustating to close Civ Googling, write on a paper everything. So I have just two considerations:
wirite on civilopedia or on something else biomes informations and remember this game is a rush for the victory.

FYI players in my current editing I've discovered a rather large and annoying series of bugs in the current Biomes code.

You may notice that sometimes the XP you get from using units is unusually high. I recently traced this back to a couple of issues in the Asian Expanse biome.
  • This biome is improperly broadcasting the bonus not just to civs owned by the Asian Expanse civilization, but to ALL civs
    • E.g. if you are playing as England (not an Asian Expanse civ) and China and India are in the game, you are currently getting +100% bonus to using units, because th scope of the effect is improperly coded [it's currently using logic that is intended for friendship bonuses instead of bonuses only applied to the owner civ])
  • The bonus also may not be properly targeting just siege units, and also affecting other kinds of units
  • Even more confusing, the way the bonus is written it's not clear to me if it sticks on the unit if the unit is upgraded or combined into a stack

I believe I've fixed these issues in the test environment on my side. I'll be rolling out a new patch hopefully soon. In the meantime please continue to discuss and to report any issues you notice.

The mention of friendship bonuses reminds me of something in the last game I played--note, this was the last ALPHA build, not the current BETA build.

When hovering over Pedro's main agenda (hording all the great people), the text brought up the hidden agenda text version of it (mentioning dotard or paragon or whathaveyou, how to exploit it, etc.). His actual hidden agenda functioned correctly.

The mention of friendship bonuses reminds me of something in the last game I played--note, this was the last ALPHA build, not the current BETA build.

When hovering over Pedro's main agenda (hording all the great people), the text brought up the hidden agenda text version of it (mentioning dotard or paragon or whathaveyou, how to exploit it, etc.). His actual hidden agenda functioned correctly.

Thanks for that note. This an issue I noticed a while back with China as well, and I think it's caused by China and Brazil having historical agendas that are also random agendas. When I created the Secret Flavors system I didn't pick up on that right away and so that system overwrote the correct text for those civs.

I need to think of what the most appropriate fix is... possibly, it involves creating a new tag for the secret agenda or for the base China/Brazil civ. Unforunately, that comes with its own issues with regard to potential mod clashes (it wouldn't crash to desktop or anything but it would cause text added by other mods not to display).

Top Bottom