Quo's Combined Tweaks

Quo's Combined Tweaks v7.0.19 BETA

As DanaLea explained, you can disable the popup by renaming the Lua file that loads it.

There is a MyOption that exists for this, but it doesn't work yet,mostly because I'm unsure how to pass a value from SQL to Lua at this time.

BTW I confirmed a bug with the Asian Pacific biome's bonus combat. I've fixed it on my end, just waiting to add a few more features before I push out the next patch.

isau updated Quo's Combined Tweaks with a new update entry:

Quo's Combined Tweaks v6.0.14 ALPHA

This release mainly features tweaks to the Biomes. I fixed some bugs, to be honest expect there to be some new bugs in this version due to the difficulty of testing some of these features. Please report any issues you encounter.

Overall, the changes were an attempt to make the "eras" vary in gameplay experience based on who your neighbors are. I hope to make more changes like these to the Biomes over time.

Changes to Biomes

• Soviet Bloc: This biome now receives a...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Looking forward to trying the new changes, isau.

You mentioned the Steel and Thunder mod, and this reminded me of a question I had for people (not you specifically). Does anyone have thoughts as to how compatible S&T is with QCT? For instance, do the anti-cav units introduced by S&T have a ranged attack? Do the new general and unique units feel balanced along side the changes introduced in QCT? Etc.

Looking forward to trying the new changes, isau.

You mentioned the Steel and Thunder mod, and this reminded me of a question I had for people (not you specifically). Does anyone have thoughts as to how compatible S&T is with QCT? For instance, do the anti-cav units introduced by S&T have a ranged attack? Do the new general and unique units feel balanced along side the changes introduced in QCT? Etc.

They should be mostly compatible. I've played the mod with QCT enabled.

In most cases, most code in Quo's that mentions it affects all units of a certain promotion class, era, etc, is referenced dynamically using a temporary table. That means it reacts to the presence of any units added by mods. This is the case with all of the Biome code that knocks out a type of unit.

The conversion of Anti cav to ranged should affect modded units as well. Same with the conversion of Melee ships to Ranged, if you turn that on.

Balance is a more difficult question. Steel and Thunder feels more or less balanced to me--to the point that I am probably going to add it to the "recommended combos" list, because the units it adds are well designed and fit perfectly into the existing structure.

Thanks for your insight, isau. I'll give the S&T mods a try once I finish my current game and upgrade to the new QCT.

I was playing with the new version, and I encountered a potential bug with the friendship bonuses.

I randomed into Pericles; I have made friends with Tomyris, Peter, and John Curtain. It is too early in the game to know if John's bonus is being applied; I definitely am getting both Peter's and Tomyris's bonus. But, I am getting two other bonuses, and I'm not sure how. When killing a unit (so far, I've only fought barbarians) I get +2 Great General points; I'm also getting +1 of various GPP, before building any districts other than a holy site and a campus. It seems those would fit Tomyris and Peter respectively, but I see no documentation of those bonuses anywhere, and I don't recall those bonuses ever being a part of them previously.

Also, it reminded me that in my previous game, before upgrading to the newest version, when I made friends with Lautaro I got an extra trade route. I never got the chance to see if the documented bonus worked.

I was playing with the new version, and I encountered a potential bug with the friendship bonuses.

I randomed into Pericles; I have made friends with Tomyris, Peter, and John Curtain. It is too early in the game to know if John's bonus is being applied; I definitely am getting both Peter's and Tomyris's bonus. But, I am getting two other bonuses, and I'm not sure how. When killing a unit (so far, I've only fought barbarians) I get +2 Great General points; I'm also getting +1 of various GPP, before building any districts other than a holy site and a campus. It seems those would fit Tomyris and Peter respectively, but I see no documentation of those bonuses anywhere, and I don't recall those bonuses ever being a part of them previously.

Also, it reminded me that in my previous game, before upgrading to the newest version, when I made friends with Lautaro I got an extra trade route. I never got the chance to see if the documented bonus worked.

It sounds like the Secret agenda system is kicking in. Likely what happened is that some of your friends rolled the Comrade secret agenda flavors, which provides you a bonus as long as you are friends with the target civ and not warring with neighbors. I admit the Secret flavors are more of a mess right now than I intended. They trigger even if you can't actually see them by rolling over the secret agenda. In a more ideal world I would create a custom panel in Lua where you can see the agendas, but I don't know how to do it without conflicting with UI mods like CQUI.

+2 Great General points per kill means one of the AIs is a Darwinist. I'm not sure which one is causing +Great Person Points offhand.

I also realize I need to do a write up of the Secret Agenda Flavors for the main mod page. It's been a while since I last updated that. The whole system needs some tweaks as well. I've just been putting it off because compared to a lot of other systems it is genuinely hard to update and test. :)

Again, this might be a hidden agenda thing, but I was generating CS influence as an Asian Steppe nation (specifically Mongolia), apart from policy and wonder effects.

Again, this might be a hidden agenda thing, but I was generating CS influence as an Asian Steppe nation (specifically Mongolia), apart from policy and wonder effects.

That may be a bug. I didn't do a ton of testing on that feature to be honest. I've been thinking of removing it, because I'm not sure it serves an actual good purpose.

Overall, really enjoying the biome system. One thematic criticism--it feels weird to have a "Soviet Bloc" "biome" and not include Poland or Georgia. If you want to have Russia have two biomes, instead of creating a separate unique one, why not combine Boreal Europe with Eurasian Steppe (or whatever is called, can't remember off the top of my head)?

Overall, really enjoying the biome system. One thematic criticism--it feels weird to have a "Soviet Bloc" "biome" and not include Poland or Georgia. If you want to have Russia have two biomes, instead of creating a separate unique one, why not combine Boreal Europe with Eurasian Steppe (or whatever is called, can't remember off the top of my head)?

That's a fair point.

Soviet Bloc was a late comer, added after the original set of biomes. It was created specifically for Poland, since Poland doesn't fit well in any of the existing Biomes. Poland was originally slotted into Boreal Europe, but that was just because I had nowhere to put them at the time of the initial release.

Russia has two Biomes because it would be weird if Russia wasn't part of the Soviet bloc. :) But perhaps "Soviet Bloc" needs to be renamed.

Georgia probably does fit better as Soviet Bloc than as Arabesque. To be honest I know very little about Georgia and just looked at a map when I first assigned it, and Soviet Bloc didn't exist at the time. Some of the other groupings are reaches (e.g. India, China and Khmer together as "Asian Expanse") so there is some leeway here.

Also, I'm exposing my ignorance of geography here... I was under the impression that the Netherlands fit best as a Boreal biome, but reading about them it seems it doesn't get nearly as cold as I thought. I guess they should really be a Western Europe civ.

I wonder if I should split England and Scotland off from the continental Western Europe civs to differentiate. I have a placeholder for them to be split off, it just isn't currently enabled.

@isau,
Hey, can you add the version numbers in the download? or at least in the .modinfo file? I am having problems keeping them all straight.
-jeff

isau updated Quo's Combined Tweaks with a new update entry:

Quo's Combined Tweaks v6.0.15 ALPHA

This release mainly features some balance adjustments to the Biomes, along with a few minor tweaks to existing systems.

Biome Changes

• Asian Pacific.
    • Added modifier: In the Atomic era and later, spies on offensive missions operate as if they are 3 levels higher than they actually are
  • Native America.
    • Added modifier: From the Industrial era forward, Infantry, Anti-Cavalry and Recon units begin with Stealth, and cannot be detected...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom