Quo's Combined Tweaks

Quo's Combined Tweaks v7.0.19 BETA

I feel that Exploration (civic) needs some attention (among other things, but they have either been discussed already, or presumably put on the back burner). It's one of the few dead end civics, and the only dead end civic to have a tier 2 government. This makes Merchant Republic less appealing, since it is "out of the way". I find myself usually going for Theocracy, but even if it were a dead end civic, I'd still get the Monarchy civic for Gothic Architecture. Exploration just doesn't seem to have much going for it. This is even worse for Philip, since you have to get Exploration for Missions, even though you'll probably want Theocracy, and Exploration won't help you proceed in the civic tree. It just seems so out of place to make Exploration a dead end; the 3 1st tier governments aren't dead ends, and the 3 3rd tier governments are dead ends, but the 2nd tier governments are mixed.

I feel that Exploration (civic) needs some attention (among other things, but they have either been discussed already, or presumably put on the back burner). It's one of the few dead end civics, and the only dead end civic to have a tier 2 government. This makes Merchant Republic less appealing, since it is "out of the way". I find myself usually going for Theocracy, but even if it were a dead end civic, I'd still get the Monarchy civic for Gothic Architecture. Exploration just doesn't seem to have much going for it. This is even worse for Philip, since you have to get Exploration for Missions, even though you'll probably want Theocracy, and Exploration won't help you proceed in the civic tree. It just seems so out of place to make Exploration a dead end; the 3 1st tier governments aren't dead ends, and the 3 3rd tier governments are dead ends, but the 2nd tier governments are mixed.

I can take a look. I need to review how all the Governments are behaving in Gathering Storm.

We're not quite ready for the next patch to launch. I wanted to give a heads up of what to expect.

Firstly, Asian Mainland will be getting limited access to Power. Here is how it is currently configured:

upload_2019-3-16_20-4-28.png

I also have something new and exciting for Nomadic Asia that uses some features of Gathering Storm that previously were not available for modders. I'll have more on that depending on how testing works out.

isau updated Quo's Combined Tweaks with a new update entry:

Quo's Combined Tweaks v7.0.18 BETA

Changes to Biomes/Spheres

• Nomadic Asia - redesigned
    • NEW: Cannot build Government Plazas (or, by association, any of the government plaza buildings, nor access govt cards)
    • SAME: +1 production on flat tiles, -1 on hills (same as before)
    • NEW: You may now build a special project to migrate the capital to a new city. Doing this provides all 3 levels of bedrock and free walls in the new city.
    • NEW: +2 to the relevant yield of any Luxury in cities that are...

Read the rest of this update entry...

New version posted. Most changes are to Nomadic Asia.

The bug with the Mbanza district still exists for expansion civs. The Pairidaiza issue has been resolved by replacing that friendship gift.

There are also some various icon issues with the new Nomadic Asia project. I just forgot to think about the icon, so for now the game will just grab a random one.

Found a bug with Nomadic Asia. The bonus to luxury resources for former capitals does not persist through saves. I started Mongolia, moved the capital, reloaded a save and Qarakorum no longer had the bonus to luxury resources.

Found a bug with Nomadic Asia. The bonus to luxury resources for former capitals does not persist through saves. I started Mongolia, moved the capital, reloaded a save and Qarakorum no longer had the bonus to luxury resources.

Thanks for the heads up. I was afraid of this. Tested it a few times and couldn't reproduce the issue. I'm going to have to deep dive to get it working reliably. The issue is related to a limitation of the game engine detecting when a Palace building has been removed from a previous city. I think with some effort I can make it perform more reliably.

BTW for some behind the scenes info, I tried and tried and tried and failed for part of the Nomadic Asia bonus set to be "Receive the friendship gift from rival civilizations when you declare war on them." The code is actually there in the Friendship files. However it does not work (so far). I can make it work so that any civ that declares war receives a friendship gift, but can't seem to limit it to just one Sphere.

One last thing. Given how many updates this mod has been receiving lately I think it may be time to move it off the general forum to its own folder here on Civ Fanatics. This is to keep me from dominating the top of this page. I do update frequently based on what my schedule looks like.

Before I do that officially, I'd like to decide on a new name for this mod. "Combined Tweaks" made sense when this mod was just about rebalancing the Vanilla release of the game. I am going to be thinking of a new name and then petitioning the mods to get my own space here on the forum where I won't disrupt the main forum so much.

I've also discovered the bonus eventually fades out in previous capitals after moving multiple times.

I am thinking the word Sphere should be in there. Some play of words on Spheres of Influence? Something like that.

Also the latest build is ready to be posted. Launching shortly.

isau updated Quo's Combined Tweaks with a new update entry:

Quo's Combined Tweaks v7.0.19 BETA

Changes to Spheres

• Asian Pacific
    • New: Can build Harbors that do not touch land at all. This Harbor is technically a special district. It has a few bonus abilities, such as +1 points per turn toward Great Generals.
    • Lowered number of tiles needed to trigger the free Gold from 3 to 2, because with the new ability set its much harder to grab ocean tiles without buying them outright. I think it strikes a good balance at present.
  • Asian...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I've played without the bedrock rules for so long I forget how you get them now ><

I'm surprised no one has commented about it, but somehow I managed to break Russia's +1 hammers and faith on Tundra bonuses again. The fix is easy (just uncommented one line of code added back when Russia was part of the early "biome" system that duplicated this effect.) But still annoying that that line somehow got uncommented since the last time I fixed it.

I haven't played as Russia for a long time, but while on the subject of civs that get bonuses on tundra (Canada and Russia) their bonuses don't make much sense to me as there is never much tundra (or snow) on the map. I could, of course, have a colder map, but that would handicap other civs. I just avoid them being in the game. I've even seen Canada start no where near any tundra. Personally, I don't like the idea of terrain based civs, or terrain based improvements as they can be severely limited by what terrain is available. I mean, for instance, would Nubia not build Pyramids just because they were not in a desert environment? I think they would have had their unique culture regardless of where in the world they flourished.

Terrain-based civs are one of the random things that give Civ more replayability.

Moreover, you don't think Egypt would have had a different culture outside of the Nile valley?

I have mixed feelings about terrain-based civs. Some terrain types are more "predictable" than others.

Tundra, for example, is nearly always "findable" because it almost always exists to the north and south of the map. Even if you don't start on it you can still locate it.

Desert is the notoriously unpredictable land terrain (though there seems to be more of it in Gathering Storm.)

Lakes... well, good luck. In Civ 5 the Aztecs had a building or something that depended on lakes being around and I recall rarely being able to build it.

Also, speaking of Canada, in the next update I patched in something to make their tundra abilities not totally worthless.

upload_2019-3-19_12-4-17.png

Top Bottom