Quot Capita: Majesty

I just completed a game, playing as France. I have a couple observations I'd like to share:

Ethnicity enables the Council of Elders but I had the council before researching Ethnicity. Are there two things that enable the council?

Knights of the Round Table still have a graphics problem. They have pink swords.

Is there a reason Early Tanks are available to be built after light tanks are available?

Jumped from Industrial to Digital age (before computers which doesn't make sense, does it?) and then to the Synthetic age. What is the progression of ages now? I can't seem to find that listed anywhere.

Man-o-War hanging around a long time before being able to upgrade.

I was never able to upgrade Battle Tanks.

Personally, I think NOT being able to upgrade ships and vehicles, and instead just have them superseded in the build list by their more advanced equivalent unit, would make things more interesting and realistic. It forces you to keep an open supply line for moving new units to the front lines. You can no longer just load all your units in a city, throw some cash at them and, bang, all your triremes are now battleships. Obsolete units could then be scrapped or gifted. The AI is generally not good at upgrading units and this levels the playing field somewhat.

-Council of Elders: Only Ethnicity enables the Council. When were you able to build one?

-Knights of the Round Table: Ok I found the problem, was missing afew dds files related to the weapon textures. Now Fixed.

-Early Tank: Fixed that. They shouldn't appear on the build list as long as you can build both Light and Medium(Vanilla Tank) Tanks.

-Age progression from that point is now Industrial, then Information, and finally Synthetic. Industrial Age runs from 1850-1950 in real world terms in this mod. The Computers tech does not represent Computers in general, but rather personal computers as made available in the 1980s. I do have an Information Age revamp planned. I would like to add Techs like "Mobile Devices" and elaborate more on Drones. I also want to add a lot more techs to this era that seem like Science Fiction but are in fact reality today, like Railguns.

Man-o-War: This unit upgrades to the Ironclad Battleship, so it will be around until you have the technology to build Ironclad type ships. If you lack coal however, you will still be able to build Man O War.

Battle Tanks: This unit should now upgrade to Heavy Tanks instead of just Medium(Vanilla Tank) Tanks. This way it should have a longer lifespan.

The problem with doing units like that Kingpin is that if a unit can't upgrade, it will remain in the build list. Other than by some crafty python coding I can't see any way around it..

But the supply line idea makes me think of some ideas on implementing something similar.....stay tuned..

Another unit size bug... the Japanese Brigantine is huge... three tiles in length.

-Council of Elders: Only Ethnicity enables the Council. When were you able to build one?

Um... Oral Tradition.

The problem with doing units like that Kingpin is that if a unit can't upgrade, it will remain in the build list. Other than by some crafty python coding I can't see any way around it..

But the supply line idea makes me think of some ideas on implementing something similar.....stay tuned..

Ah, so that work different than Civ3 then.

How are you liking the mod so far by the way?

I really like it. I've just got to figure out how to get through the entire tech tree before I run out of time :blush:

I'll have to try that.

I've found another graphics bug... one of the buccaneers is unarmed and fires an imaginary musket.

What does the "Slaver" leader trait do? I didn't see any explanation on the leader select tooltip.

Great mod. Superior to most of the stuff I've played. I am currently running into a few issues that are persistent. I originally ran into the Black Tile error. I followed the advice from earlier about deleting things in the MyGames folder and then restarting. It seemed to work. However, I've noticed some graphic errors:
1. The pink box issue comes up when placing the mouse over some of my cities.
2. The Brigandine Ship has these strange black beams and other errors when it is on the map. It's somewhat inconsistent.
3. Worst of all, the black tile error has returned when I reload the game.

I have run BTS as administrator as advised. I seem to remember a similar error regarding the pink box thing years ago when I played the Rise of Empires mod. I don't remember the fix. I can attach screen shots if necessary although the pink box issue is likely related to custom graphics and the screen shot taker makes it not show up. The main issue is the black tile issue.

As for installation, I believe I followed all the steps in the first post. If you think it is an installation issue, I can redo it and report back.

The black tile thing is problematic because it shows up for some players but not others, I think making sure the mod is installed in the correct location, and making sure that you don't have any interferences from the MyGames foldier is key.

-The pink boxes are from modular icon compoments. There is no fix for this other than unmodularizing those components which would be very difficult for me to do.

-The Brigantine does that...I wish there was a fix for this but its related to the graphic..:(

-Not sure about the black tiles in this case...

I have to remind everyone that in afew days I will need to find a new home for this mod, as Atomicgamer where it is currently hosted, is shutting down soon.

Knights of the Round Table still have a graphics problem. They have pink swords.
Thanks, working on it hopefully

Jumped from Industrial to Digital age (before computers which doesn't make sense, does it?) and then to the Synthetic age. What is the progression of ages now? I can't seem to find that listed anywhere.
Prehistoric - Stone Age - Ancient - Classical - Medieval - Renaissance - Enlightenment - Colonial - Industrial - so on...

Man-o-War hanging around a long time before being able to upgrade.

I was never able to upgrade Battle Tanks.

Personally, I think NOT being able to upgrade ships and vehicles, and instead just have them superseded in the build list by their more advanced equivalent unit, would make things more interesting and realistic. It forces you to keep an open supply line for moving new units to the front lines. You can no longer just load all your units in a city, throw some cash at them and, bang, all your triremes are now battleships. Obsolete units could then be scrapped or gifted. The AI is generally not good at upgrading units and this levels the playing field somewhat.
[Well, that requires funds, requires money. There are quite alot of nations today that if it wasnt for western europe, theyd still be bouncing around in WW1 and WW2 era weapons. There is a tech diffusion in the mod that allows other nations to gain the tech advantage of other nations at a bit rate. If you dont have the money to turn your light tanks into better made monsters, you cant. Upgrading some unts may drink all the money you need to upgrade certain vital buildings (there will be buildings that do require fund upgrading in the next installment). But some units, yeah, some will def just auto-upgrade with resources gained. Like if you can smelt iron and have iron, naturally you will get better units. ]

Seriously, thank you so much for sharing, and hopefully we can get alot more fixed

Try Sourceforge for the new home kiddo, be better for you.

Greetings Kiddo.

Ok, managed to compile a basic rough draft and ideas for the GEM TSL map I was discussing a bit ago. Going to run a few thoughts/ideas past you and the rest of the QC crew ( in random order, I'm old, so sue me :mischief::lol:) in order to get better input for the Alpha test some time here in the future. First, the map I want to base this scenario off of:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=478799

Excellant map, and I use it quite a bit when creating scenarios for my boys. Toss in any leader heads or various civ dll's, and it can accommodate 50 civ's easy ( I know, 'cause I've done it a lot :crazyeye:). Anyone with a decent mid-range comp and good RAM config, can handle this map w/o any real issues, even towards late game. Thoughts? rants? ideas? feel free to toss 'em out there.

So, random ideas from copious amounts of sticky notes ( 3M should really give me a discount).

1) Game speed; I love your mod kiddo, but one of the things that felt a little off to me was the higher game speeds. I.E., epic speed and higher. Now, part of this can be partly explained to my particular style of play ( I beeline, and sci tech/build as fast as possible), but if I'm playing on a huge to giant size map, the current game speed to tech ratio seems off.
What I would recommend would be upping the game speed a tad to accommodate the dimensions of this map. I'd probably go Epic @ 1000T's, Mara @ 1800-2000T's, Snail @ 2500 T's, etc.
This would allow the player to fully enjoy each era and make tech lines even more important than just relying on the same tech paths over and over. Increase of game speed will also allow the AI to expand better and pose a serious threat to the human player by making him really focus on necessary techs for survival.

2) Revolutions ModComp; This map is ideal for that particular modcomp, but I remember your having difficulty earlier to get it to run the way it was supposed to. If we can, I'd like to see if we can't fix any issues with it and toss it back into the mod again.
If we can't, then perhaps we can use similar stuff that Rhys's mods do, and have civ's show up at a certain date. Personally, I've always enjoyed RFC and it's modmods, just because of the surprise factor of having a civ spring up and ruin the players master city build plan for the world :mwaha:. Can't have the humans getting to complacent now, can we?

3) Legenday Civ's; Obviously by starting in the Neo Era, these Civ's ( Atlantis be a biggy) are going to be a powerhouse by the time newer civs start showing up. We'll need to figure out a way to mimic certain disasters ( ala sinking of Atlantis) that caused these particular civs to disappear into legend. Now we don't want to ruin the enjoyment of the player who picked one of the Legendaries, but we can't have them just steam roll the newer AI's coming into play. So my thoughts are somehow tweaking the GlobalEvents.dll and see what we might come up with. We may need to solicit some extra help with this, maybe Platy, Karadoc, or a couple of others can come up with something if we can't figure it out.

4) Additional modcomps; Some of these can greatly enhance the gaming immersion, so I'm going to suggest a few and see what everyones thoughts are. I'm not trying to change the mod, just add a couple of things that makes sense on a Gigantic map. If you don't know what any one of these do, by all means ask or search the relevant thread. I'd be more than happy to explain.

a) Anything by Platy is awesome. I haven't seen anyone even come close to his python work. Shameless plug, I know, but still worth a perusal.

b) Advanced Diplo 2- Better diplo options

c) Lemons Spy mod- Seriously, who really likes have to resend spies back to the front lines all the way from the capitol.

d) Useable Mountains- self explanatory

5) Barbs/Pirates; Ok, I realize that I may be one of the few masochistic idiots on these boards who likes to play with RB checked, but seriously, after the classical era, barbs are rarely ( certain exceptions do apply) a threat. As for Ocean based civ's, you only have to worry about the occasional galley or 6 raiding your fish.
Barbs should be a threat well into the medieval era, and if you don't do anything about a barb city after that, well buddy, good luck.
Same for pirates. I believe a few simple tweaks to the sdk should alleviate some of the basic barb apathy from "oh look, a barb" to something along the lines of "oh hell, I'm in deep twinkie goo now"

Just some general thoughts kiddo. The map is actually really easy to modify, especially using Platy's tools. So adding Atlantis, and a few other things are simple. Take a look at it when you have time, and you and the rest of the crew toss in some input, and we'll see what kind of Civ magic we can make.

Drak.

Hey Drak my friend..good to hear back from you.

1) Game speed; Yeah I know what you mean. Avain added Legendary and Oddysey speeds. Oddysey is like Epic with a lot more turns, while Legendary is like Marathon with a lot more turns. I really enjoy Oddysey, lets you enjoy each era without things taking forever.

2) I really like Revolutions, but its one of those options that will crash the game eventually when its enabled. Not enabling Vassal states or Random Events will do the same thing.

3) Well, I understand what your saying about legendary civs. But I don't think you need to worry about game balance. Atlantis special buildings and units come later in the tech tree. The idea is that Atlantis was further along techwise then the rest of the world(except for Atlantis' rivals), so they don't start out advanced in a normal game.

Same is true for Harappa(Rama's Empire), I have plans for Lumeria as Mu as well btw..

4) Additional modcomps; Diffinitely am willing to add any of the amazing work by the codders here, but there are limits to what I can add without breaking the interface, screen python files :(

Drak said: a) Anything by Platy is awesome. I haven't seen anyone even come close to his python work. Shameless plug, I know, but still worth a perusal.

I agree, Platy is amazing. I've already thrown in his traits and promotions, as well as his wonders, though only a handful of his wonders are in the mod.

b) Advanced Diplo 2- Better diplo options: I'll look into it.

c) Lemons Spy mod- Seriously, who really likes have to resend spies back to the front lines all the way from the capitol. Your not the first to suggest this one, Boonkie also pointed this one out to me. I will check this out as well.

d) Useable Mountains- self explanatory: I like it. I would like eventually..if possible to include usable oceans, with ocean cities for the future eras...long term of coarse. Mountains would be short term....

5) Barbs/Pirates; Oh hell ya...I love barbs. I think that Barbs should build a lot of pirate units. Part of the charm of the Pirate ship units is you don't know who is attacking you. It could be a rival civilization, but they could be rogue.

Been thinking about Barbarians having some unique units as well. Feel free to share any barbarian or pirate ideas if you have any Drak. Same goes for anyone else reading this of coarse.

Hey Drak my friend..good to hear back from you.

1) Game speed; Yeah I know what you mean. Avain added Legendary and Oddysey speeds. Oddysey is like Epic with a lot more turns, while Legendary is like Marathon with a lot more turns. I really enjoy Oddysey, lets you enjoy each era without things taking forever.

2) I really like Revolutions, but its one of those options that will crash the game eventually when its enabled. Not enabling Vassal states or Random Events will do the same thing.

3) Well, I understand what your saying about legendary civs. But I don't think you need to worry about game balance. Atlantis special buildings and units come later in the tech tree. The idea is that Atlantis was further along techwise then the rest of the world(except for Atlantis' rivals), so they don't start out advanced in a normal game.

Same is true for Harappa(Rama's Empire), I have plans for Lumeria as Mu as well btw..

4) Additional modcomps; Diffinitely am willing to add any of the amazing work by the codders here, but there are limits to what I can add without breaking the interface, screen python files :(

Drak said: a) Anything by Platy is awesome. I haven't seen anyone even come close to his python work. Shameless plug, I know, but still worth a perusal.

I agree, Platy is amazing. I've already thrown in his traits and promotions, as well as his wonders, though only a handful of his wonders are in the mod.

b) Advanced Diplo 2- Better diplo options: I'll look into it.

c) Lemons Spy mod- Seriously, who really likes have to resend spies back to the front lines all the way from the capitol. Your not the first to suggest this one, Boonkie also pointed this one out to me. I will check this out as well.

d) Useable Mountains- self explanatory: I like it. I would like eventually..if possible to include usable oceans, with ocean cities for the future eras...long term of coarse. Mountains would be short term....

5) Barbs/Pirates; Oh hell ya...I love barbs. I think that Barbs should build a lot of pirate units. Part of the charm of the Pirate ship units is you don't know who is attacking you. It could be a rival civilization, but they could be rogue.

Been thinking about Barbarians having some unique units as well. Feel free to share any barbarian or pirate ideas if you have any Drak. Same goes for anyone else reading this of coarse.

1) Game Speed; ok, I'll look at it closer when time permits me to re-DL your mod.

2) Rev's; Well drat. Ok, how about plan B then. Using some of Rhy's stuff to allow AI civ's to come into play at a certain date?

3) Lengendairies; Ok, fair enough. We can always tweak and peak as necessary. That's what play testers are for. We'll pay 'em in Thin Mints :cooool:.

4) ModComps; Fair enough. Just an FYI, Orion Vetren has some excellent ocean based stuff in his modcomp thread. Might want to check it out. I really like his bridges concept.

Glad we're in agreement. Let's see what some others have for ideas, and we can go from there.

Top Bottom