R.E.D. modpack

Gi
Just wanted to say that I updated to v15 this morning and started a new game with my favourite civ Rome. Didn't really have time to play but I placed a few units. Didn't have any problems and am so happy yhat you added so many new roman units.

Keep up the good work - diversity is much needed in CiV!!

\Skodkim

Can this one be ignored with caution now....

IMPORTANT : when an update of the mod is available, always finish your current game before clicking the update button, as your savegame won't be compatible with the new version.

I know that I have asked this before 15 was released but I would like to check again as it is now actually available.

Thanks for your continuing work :)
v.16 will be able to load save made with v.15, yes. (but not from previous versions, it will still apply before updating to v.16 from v.13, v.14 or v.12)

I have re-verified the cache, and re-installed the mod, and pretty much everything else on 'that' list of fixes... (That sounded a little nasty, not intended as such though)

I have DEFINITIVELY narrowed it down to RED. In fact, I've narrowed it down even further... This is only a theory, but There is *some* back-up for it...

I think the problem is with v.13 onwards... Why? Because after getting G&K I start a game with v.11 and it worked fine (wasn't exactly extensive, but still)... "Fine" as it had before G&K anyway...

With that in mind, the *most likely* culprit (to my mind) is the switch from adding Ethnic Varients via 'unique units' to adding them with 'unique art only'.

The only other thing I can think of would be an incompatibility caused by the fact that I run XP and thus only the dx9 version/mode of the game... If your running on a newer dx version, maybe it has managed to sneak something into the mod on a code level that messes up the compatibility for me...

Okay, honestly, I'm pretty much just spit-balling at this stage... But I've tried everything *I* can think of AND everything else that has been suggested to me too (If it was suggested to me in this thread, then I've tried it to no -positive- effect).

~JD
I'll try to test it in the same condition (dx9, no DLC) tonight, but I don't have access to a computer with xp, so I'd like to have feedback from other users with that OS, thanx.

I did start a game and I'm part way through it as so if I included build 15 (nothing prior) would it work with that already started game or would I need to complete it first and then start again...? I'm only just in the classical era but for once I got a good start :)

FWIW - I use the Direct X 11 option and all works well.

I tried the Direct X 9 with just this mod and all the graphics are really messed up - maybe it was related to the settings which I increased up to high, I'm not sure.
I did the same again but with no mods and the graphics are still messed up.
Maybe it was the settings I used but as I play using the 11 version I'm not too bothered as that is perfect.

I am using Windows 7 x64.

I like the new units in the mod, since ancient units are probably the most innacurate in the original. It's nice seeing China, Greece, Rome, ect. with their respective units. However, is there any way to make the units more smooth (will anti-alaising work)? The Pikemans' spears are kind of jagged. Also, is there any way to go back to the original unit sizes/formations? Other than that, this mod works pretty well.

Very good, except for the dual models used for ships. I tend to think of a ship unit as a single ship, not a squadron.

Would it be possible to download a version of the mod which only includes ethnic diversity units and dispenses with formation and rescaling?

How much units are left until all of them are replaced?

How high quality are the new ones compared to the originals? (This is a very important thing to me, if most of them are just touched up civ 4 models, then that's big minus.

If that's the case, would it be possible to modify this mod so that if I made a different model for each region (Native Americas, NA/west european, eastern european

Would this mod conflict with one that adds new units to the game or adjusts stats of existing units?

Is there a comparison chart I can view that shows the new unit graphics?

How simple would it be to replace say, for example, ther aztec archer with a model/texture I made? Would I just have to replace AztecArcher.obj/.png or whatever with the new model, or is it more complex than that? likewise, would it be possible to adjust the unit size manually via editing a "Sizescale=###" value somewhere, or is it more complex?

Does this mod make use of Mechanized Infantry with soldiers by tollan?

What can I do to contribute?

Finally, whats the thread I should be posting in, this one, or http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=449070&page=8 ?

EDIT:

Would it be possible to use whatever code you guys used for this for having unique architectural styles for civs? Like how Japan, china, and india all use the same city graphics.

It'd be nice to have each civ to have totally different cities, or at least have each civ in a architecture set have the coloration be different.

See here for more details.

also getting the same crash on DoM Screen.

running DX9 on windows XP.

reinstalled game several times tested any size of map.
No problem for me using DX9 on Seven.

If it's XP related, I'm afraid I won't be able to help :(

Here's a few thing you can try to track the bug:

Go in the unit folder of the mod ("..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\R.E.D. Modpack (v 15)\Unit")

move all the .sql file somewhere else on your HDD, and launch the game with the mod activated, you will have only the rescale and formation part of the mod.

If it still crash try to move out also the Art and Edited_Animations folders.

Then please report if it's working now without the ethnic units.

I did start a game and I'm part way through it as so if I included build 15 (nothing prior) would it work with that already started game or would I need to complete it first and then start again...?
It should work with a started game that has no other mod activated.

I like the new units in the mod, since ancient units are probably the most innacurate in the original. It's nice seeing China, Greece, Rome, ect. with their respective units. However, is there any way to make the units more smooth (will anti-alaising work)? The Pikemans' spears are kind of jagged. Also, is there any way to go back to the original unit sizes/formations? Other than that, this mod works pretty well.
Very good, except for the dual models used for ships. I tend to think of a ship unit as a single ship, not a squadron.

Would it be possible to download a version of the mod which only includes ethnic diversity units and dispenses with formation and rescaling?
Nutty may release a new version of Ethnic Diversity with vanilla and one unit scale.

How much units are left until all of them are replaced?
See newunits.xls in the mod folder. 16.51% done.

How high quality are the new ones compared to the originals? (This is a very important thing to me, if most of them are just touched up civ 4 models, then that's big minus.
Some of the new units made for Civ4 were sometime better and more detailed than vanilla civ5 units.

There are new models made for civ5 here (especially the riflemen), and those which are conversion from civ4 modders were almost all retouched.

If that's the case, would it be possible to modify this mod so that if I made a different model for each region (Native Americas, NA/west european, eastern european
I want ethnic unit for all civs, I may use same models for different civilization, but that should be the exception ("Viking" units used for both Sweden and Denmark)

But I will also make regional set to be used by City-States, currently ancient Asia is made.

Would this mod conflict with one that adds new units to the game or adjusts stats of existing units?
This won't conflict with mods adjusting stats of ethnic units.

For mod adding new models, I may have to adjust the scale and formation of those, a file is reserved for that compatibility issue.

Is there a comparison chart I can view that shows the new unit graphics?
See the unit graphic subforum here, each thread as screenshots.

How simple would it be to replace say, for example, ther aztec archer with a model/texture I made? Would I just have to replace AztecArcher.obj/.png or whatever with the new model, or is it more complex than that? likewise, would it be possible to adjust the unit size manually via editing a "Sizescale=###" value somewhere, or is it more complex?
It is more complex. see the tutorial here (outdated for 2 steps since patch .674, but explanation for new system is from post #6 to the end of thread)

Does this mod make use of Mechanized Infantry with soldiers by tollan?
No and yes.

No, it's not a part of the mod, but yes it's compatible (re-scale done in the compatibility file mentionned above), so you can use both they'll be at R.E.D scale.

What can I do to contribute?
Report mods that need compatibility added, specifying which units are not scaled / malformed

Finally, whats the thread I should be posting in, this one, or http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=449070&page=8 ?
Depend if it's for R.E.D units or about re-scale / additional units added by Nutty.

EDIT:

Would it be possible to use whatever code you guys used for this for having unique architectural styles for civs? Like how Japan, china, and india all use the same city graphics.

It'd be nice to have each civ to have totally different cities, or at least have each civ in a architecture set have the coloration be different.

See here for more details.
AFAIK, modding those part is not possible yet. I don't know if someone has tried again since the major changes from patch .674 thus.

Edit: but there is already 4 style we can choose from, that can be changed to another for each civilization: Asian, European, Native American, Middle East. I don't count Polynesia, being a DLC. I may add a check at some point for DLC to add more ethnic units from them, then this style too could be used for another civ if the player have the corresponding DLC.

tested a bit around

Rescaling alone works.

edited aim state is also not the problem.

so as i see it the problem must be somewhere in Units/Art
but cannot figure out what exactly.

or maybe something with the CivilizationArtStyle, Compatibility, EthnicDiversity-
SQL files gotta test more.

i will post an update on this as soon as i found the cause.

the content of the database.log on crash may help if you have logging enabled in config.ini

the content of the database.log on crash may help if you have logging enabled in config.ini

Database Log:
PHP:
[SPOILER]

[16378.625] constraint failed
[16378.625] While executing - 'INSERT INTO ArtDefine_StrategicView(StrategicViewType, TileType, Asset) VALUES(?,?,?)'
[16423.531] Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[16423.531] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
[16423.531] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
[16426.453] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_HITTITE_WARCHARIOT" does not exist in Units
[16426.453] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_SUMERIAN_PHALANX" does not exist in Units
[16426.453] Failed Validation.
[16428.000] 
-- SQLite Memory Statistics --
Memory Usage:
		[Cur]		[Max]
Malloc:		386608		39546064
PageCache:	4367		4982
LookAside:	0		0
Scratch:	0		1

Static Buffer Overflows:
		[TooLarge]	[NoSpace]
PageCache:	0		34858000
Scratch:	0		0

Largest Allocations:
Malloc:		131072
PageCache:	1160
Scratch:	6664

Prepared Statements:
Current:		10
------------------------------
[16891.516] Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[16891.516] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
[16891.516] Invalid Reference on ArtDefine_Landmarks.LayoutHandler - "SPECIAL" does not exist in ArtDefine_LandmarkTypes
[16894.250] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_HITTITE_WARCHARIOT" does not exist in Units
[16894.250] Invalid Reference on UnitGameplay2DScripts.UnitType - "UNIT_SUMERIAN_PHALANX" does not exist in Units
[16894.250] Failed Validation.
[16895.563] 
-- SQLite Memory Statistics --
Memory Usage:
		[Cur]		[Max]
Malloc:		708656		39546064
PageCache:	4483		4982
LookAside:	0		0
Scratch:	0		1

Static Buffer Overflows:
		[TooLarge]	[NoSpace]
PageCache:	248240		34858000
Scratch:	0		0

Largest Allocations:
Malloc:		131072
PageCache:	1160
Scratch:	6664

Prepared Statements:
Current:		17
------------------------------
[16896.500] no such column: Type
[16896.500] In Query - select * from Natural_Wonder_Placement where Type = ? LIMIT 1[/SPOILER]

looks like a memory problem or?

there are only the vanilla error there, nothing related to the mod. without the sql it still crash, and then without the art folder it finally works ?

you'll have to play with the subfolders in art then, start with the first level (battleships, bombers, etc) and then to the civilization level once you've found the unit type(s) that make the game crash.... TIA

Gedemon, thank you for your continued work on the modpack. It's great and adds so much flavor and immersion... I think this is what should be in the base game :) Great work and also thanks to all the contributors.

I've noticed only one unit that was not recaled - this was the Gadrauht, the Gothic UU from Fall of Rome scenario in G&K. All other units are working properly, even with mods adding new civilizations.

Thanx, I'll add the Gadrauht re-scale to next version.

See newunits.xls in the mod folder. 16.51% done.

As in 16% left, or 84% left? I hope not the latter :p
Some of the new units made for Civ4 were sometime better and more detailed than vanilla civ5 units.

There are new models made for civ5 here (especially the riflemen), and those which are conversion from civ4 modders were almost all retouched.

Speaking of screenshots, I looked around, but I really couldn't see any comparison images.

I don't mean to insult anybody who has contributed to the project, but I think it may be better, if it's okay, to work on refining and improving the models and textures already used in the pack. I have a lot of rare scanned historical documents and other refrence material, and I don't have the time to devote to make a full model, texture/normal map/animations most days.

Though I already have a lot of aztec stuff done as far as armor and weapons, how much of them is done as of now? I would be willing to set aside time to work on their units.

For mod adding new models, I may have to adjust the scale and formation of those, a file is reserved for that compatibility issue.
So in other words, i'd have to ask "Hey, can you make it so X and Y mod will scale with RED"?

Or could you explain what the tag for the unit scale is? Or is it not done via tag?

Depend if it's for R.E.D units or about re-scale / additional units added by Nutty.

So whats the difference between your version and his, exactly?

Edit: but there is already 4 style we can choose from, that can be changed to another for each civilization: Asian, European, Native American, Middle East. I don't count Polynesia, being a DLC. I may add a check at some point for DLC to add more ethnic units from them, then this style too could be used for another civ if the player have the corresponding DLC.

And that's done just by tags, right?

So if I wanted to change Siam, india, and the mongols to use the polynesian style, I'd just need to change the tag from Asian to Polynesian, right?

If you find out a way to add new city styles or to just recolor them, let me know.

EDIT: Oh, and is your RED and/or Nutty's compatible without G&K? I haven't got it yet.

As in 16% left, or 84% left? I hope not the latter :p
84% left.

There are 50 units class I'd like to make ethnic, 34 civilizations, 1-2 UU already done for each civs, 4 (or 5) continent type I want to use for CS. Do the math... or see the xls, I find that easier to know what's done and what's to do ;)

Speaking of screenshots, I looked around, but I really couldn't see any comparison images.

I don't mean to insult anybody who has contributed to the project, but I think it may be better, if it's okay, to work on refining and improving the models and textures already used in the pack. I have a lot of rare scanned historical documents and other refrence material, and I don't have the time to devote to make a full model, texture/normal map/animations most days.
I think no one will complaint if you can make some of them even better :D

Though I already have a lot of aztec stuff done as far as armor and weapons, how much of them is done as of now? I would be willing to set aside time to work on their units.
You should ask danrell, he's the most prolific units maker/converter this days, bernie14 have made great riflemen (speaking of historical document, see his thread in Creation & Customization main forum), and Patum333 is converting some civ4 models too.

I'm not an artist, just the one who packs everything together, this mod won't exist without the units maker, they are to thank.

So in other words, i'd have to ask "Hey, can you make it so X and Y mod will scale with RED"?

Or could you explain what the tag for the unit scale is? Or is it not done via tag?
The scale is stored in a table in the game database, it can be updated via a mod using SQL or XML.

Here's a SQL code example from R.E.D. :
Code:
UPDATE ArtDefine_UnitMemberInfos SET Scale = 0.09 WHERE Type = 'ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_ANTIAIRCRAFTGUN';

If you're new to Civ5 modding, have a look at kael's guide in the tutorial section, it's sadly outdated on some points, but we've nothing better ATM to get started, or maybe civ5 wiki at 2K games.

So whats the difference between your version and his, exactly?
R. stand for "Regiment" in R.E.D. and E.D. for Ethnic Diversity.

Some prefer the original civ5 scale for units, or the larger civ4 scale. Nutty had made his E.D. mod starting from R.E.D and using other scale, then he added more units than R.E.D and even made an "unofficial" version while I was away from civ5 modding for a few days months after having installed Skyrim...

Now he plan to convert E.D. to G&K and civ5 latest patch, we've tried to find a way that would prevent duplicate work having one base mods whit models and dependent mods for scale, but there's no easy way...

And that's done just by tags, right?

So if I wanted to change Siam, india, and the mongols to use the polynesian style, I'd just need to change the tag from Asian to Polynesian, right?

If you find out a way to add new city styles or to just recolor them, let me know.

EDIT: Oh, and is your RED and/or Nutty's compatible without G&K? I haven't got it yet.
Just a database update for the change, yes, another SQL example:

Code:
UPDATE MinorCivilizations SET ArtStyleType = "ARTSTYLE_MIDDLE_EAST"
	WHERE Type = 'MINOR_CIV_ZANZIBAR' OR Type = 'MINOR_CIV_MARRAKECH';

R.E.D. is civ5 post patch .674 and G&K compatible. Nutty's E.D. is in conversion process.

tested a bit around

Rescaling alone works.

edited aim state is also not the problem.

so as i see it the problem must be somewhere in Units/Art
but cannot figure out what exactly.

or maybe something with the CivilizationArtStyle, Compatibility, EthnicDiversity-
SQL files gotta test more.

i will post an update on this as soon as i found the cause.

As a follow-on to this, I have taken apart the "ART" folder, all the various units have been removed (etc, etc). So far, I can confirm its NOT:
- Any of the .sql files
- Anything contained in the "Edited_Animations" folder
- Any of the "Archer" units (Tested as Japan, used one of the archers, the unit worked perfectly).

I Intend to go through all the various units one at a time until I find a 'suspect' - At which point I'll set it aside and Keep going through the rest... Hopefully I'll be able to come back in an hour or two with a short-list of crash-triggering files/units...

...I suspect however, that it might be the one 'loose' file i found in the ART folder:
- "no_gloss.dds" - However, that is solely speculation at this point (I'll test it first to be sure. RESULT: Nope, it seems to be okay).

~JD

UPDATE:
Have tested: Archers, Spearmen, Horsemen, Warrior. None of those folders contained anything that caused a crass within the (admittedly limited) testing time-frame. I won't bother listing anything else like this, I'll just add a list of folders/files that don't work...

Double-posting to "bump" thread:

Unfortunately, the stage I reached in my immediately previous post was about as far as I got... After that post, I re-added the folder for the various unique 'composite archer' variants. I the started another 'test game'. While the game start up fine (No insta-crash), the seemed to be little more than deception, as the game crashed unexpectedly about half an hour latter (no 'trigger' that I could see).

Now, I'm *hoping* that the 'no trigger' nature of the crash meant the it wasn't the game, but I am not confident... I will however continue testing, as I have not yet determined what is causing the "Insta-crash" on game start...

~JD

Groan....

Not sure what has happened here but my large continental map will now no longer load without crashing since my version 15 of this mod updated prior to trying to load the game.

Not sure why it should want to update, but it did. Not sure why it should crash, as it should not affect saved games, but it does.

I will try and clean out the cache and maybe my renaissance period game will be saved.?

EDIT: Wow it worked and so now I can continue my game, even if I'm losing.

Not sure why it wanted, and did, update the RED mod though.?

Top Bottom