R.E.D. World War II development thread

Well I suppose while cruiser tanks were the highly mobile force that could flank and surround the enemy the infantry tanks was the slow, frontline tank that attacked the enemy from the front.

So I suppose the first obvious thing would be a movement of two or three, and then maybe a bonus or penalty that reflected its use.

Maybe a bonus against fortified units? Or maybe a bonus that was the opposite of the cruiser tanks, like a bonus for defending and a penalty for attacking? Or maybe the ability to fortify like infantry units?

Personally I would go for the bonus for defending and penalty for attacking, just because it sounds like it would have good synergy with the cruiser tank.
I like that.

slow movement is certain and I agree on no-stacking with infantry, we'll have more than enough support units soon.

then
bonus vs fortified units + bonus while defending or can fortify
or
penalty when attacking + bonus while defending or can fortify

I'd prefer to avoid a (penalty when attacking + bonus vs fortified units) combination, as it sort of cancel each other, and I have a preference for the bonus vs fortified units proposition.

bonus vs fortified units + bonus while defending or can fortify

Yeah that does sound good. It gives it a sort of specialized role in fighting on static fortified front lines, which was kind of its real life role.

My only concern would be that having two bonuses with only one drawback (low movement) could leave it a touch overpowered. But I suppose that an in game test should test that.

Also if it could fortify could it gain the full +75% bonus? Because for a tank that could leave it nigh on impossible to attack.

I'm currently working on updating a bit the projects mechanism in the beta, and I'm thinking of adding a cost per turn of material and personnel for some of them, to reflect the effect of big projects on a nation economy.

I'm pondering if this should also be added for the production of units (and buildings).

On a different, but linked topic, I'm still struggling with the best way to add resources on the map with the mod's mechanism...

At this moment I'm using a "global" model, and I think that I'm going to keep it. A "local" model would be more realist (it would allow to create real blockade of cities), but I'm afraid of the effect on turns time with the extra calculations. And of course that would take much longer to code (especially if I need to switch that part to C++ for speed...)

So, which resources to add, how to add them, and how to use them ?

Here are my thoughts so far:

Iron, Alluminium -> material -> reinforcements
Coal, Oil -> carburant -> requested by units

I'm reluctant to add Iron or Alluminium as a requirement to build units, as it would be redondant with the need in material, but I may add a power grid mechanism using "new" buildings, oil and coal.

For the use of carburant, I'm now also planning a "global" mechanism: calculate the requirement for next turn by all units, and if there is not enough of it, apply penalties to mechanical units, relative to the lack of carburant: less moves, attack penalties, ect...

So would that mean that the AI would go for resources (such as the Germans heading for the southern Russian oilfields) as well as cities? It might even make the AI try and sink some more convoys (as on my games it rarely does)

If so, that would be really cool and would certainly improve the realism! :)

Yes, the idea of no coal or iron or oil available giving unit movement and attack penalties is brilliant!

Sounds like a brilliant idea!

I'm pondering if this should also be added for the production of units (and buildings).

I'd support that. Currently the mod has a system where you don't have the manpower to reinforce the army you already have but can produce a couple of shiny new infantry divisions each turn. It would be far more realistic and make managing your supplies even more vital.

yes, but there is still rush-buying to handle... or find alternate use for gold.

On map with convoys, gold could be used to spawn a new convoy of the desired types (Material, Personnel or US units for France, U.K., Greece and Material or Personnel for Germany, Italy on the Europe 39-45 map for example), but for the others ?

I'm currently working on updating a bit the projects mechanism in the beta, and I'm thinking of adding a cost per turn of material and personnel for some of them, to reflect the effect of big projects on a nation economy.

On a different, but linked topic, I'm still struggling with the best way to add resources on the map with the mod's mechanism...

At this moment I'm using a "global" model, and I think that I'm going to keep it. A "local" model would be more realist (it would allow to create real blockade of cities), but I'm afraid of the effect on turns time with the extra calculations. And of course that would take much longer to code (especially if I need to switch that part to C++ for speed...)

So, which resources to add, how to add them, and how to use them ?

Here are my thoughts so far:

Iron, Alluminium -> material -> reinforcements
Coal, Oil -> carburant -> requested by units

I'm reluctant to add Iron or Alluminium as a requirement to build units, as it would be redondant with the need in material, but I may add a power grid mechanism using "new" buildings, oil and coal.

For the use of carburant, I'm now also planning a "global" mechanism: calculate the requirement for next turn by all units, and if there is not enough of it, apply penalties to mechanical units, relative to the lack of carburant: less moves, attack penalties, ect...

Power Grid would be good. If you could say air raid hydro dams etc to damage it and cripple material production that would increase the value of heavy bombers.

I agree that specific unit requirements for resources is a bad idea, because there is a huge asymmetry in the unit's as it is, and it'd be impossible to balance. However, i think generally it'd be good to have a few different thing's scattered about. Doesn't the vanilla civ5 AI place high priority on securing new sources of scarce strategic resources? That could be leveraged to assist with war-priorities, i.e. Germany taking Norway, Egypt, surging toward the Caspien Oil fields.

In terms of how it's worked, could it not be identical to the way material is tabulated now? Having national projects cost material is a great holistic idea.

I am curious what progress has been made. I am toying with the idea of playing with the beta but i am not sure my troubleshoot ability is quite there to accurately describe the phenomena i observe. Either way, very exciting.

Sorry to ask again Gedemon, but have you planned to make a "Operation Barbarossa" project ? Because if not, I would try to make one (at least for me).

define "planned" ? ;)

all major operation are "planned", but I've not started to code anything yet.

and I will need help with the units projects, I'll post a template ASAP, and I'll ask for a review of the existing projects and "code" (copy-pasting stuff) for the new units projects.

define "planned" ? ;)

all major operation are "planned", but I've not started to code anything yet.

and I will need help with the units projects, I'll post a template ASAP, and I'll ask for a review of the existing projects and "code" (copy-pasting stuff) for the new units projects.

Since i started messing with the defines texts to add buildings and starting units, i have gotten quite good at copy-pasting and troubleshooting trans-positional errors - i would be happy to help. I have even begun to start a private attempt at mimic-coding some desert-campaign operations for 1941 and 1942, but without knowing where all of the relevent citing goes in other files, i cannot implement them.

If anyone knows:

I would really like to try to modifier A) Unit material/personnel costs, and/or B) Building production of material/personnel.

Maybe i dont have the right programs to open the SQL or XML, but the directory i am looking for definitely isn't in the LUA, i looked through all of those start to finish. A simple point in the right direction is all i need.

3- Define Original Units.sql
4- Define Class Template Units.sql
5- Define Subclass Template Units.sql
6- Define New Units.sql

see <mat> and <pers> columns (a "NULL" entry means "take the value from the template unit")

Buildings productions are hardcoded in RedReinforcements.lua, look at GetCityPersonnel(city, bUpdate) and GetCityMateriel(city, bUpdate)

Hello Gedemon, I was wondering how this is going for you. Is the new version with additional playable units still in the works, or has this become too big of a time sink? I certainly understand burning out on a big mod project.

Just curious to know if there is new version on the horizon. Thanks for making the ww2 mod and best wishes to you!

Still in the works, but I'm on other projects ATM.

But all is linked, I'm testing the release candidate of R.E.D. DLL for BNW v.8 with Combat and Stacking Overhaul v.3 to make sure they are compatible with multiplayer (which will be important if we want a MP WWII mod at some point), then I'll do the same for Revolutions, and will start a new mod for the Economy Overhaul (which requires a new mechanism for resources, including the material/personnel stuff from R.E.D. WWII), and then I'll port back to R.E.D. WWII the part related to resources stocking and consumption.

Yeah, so, sorry, including resources in the mod has seriously postponed the next release... But I hope it'll be worth it.

Perhaps this was asked before, but what is the reason for game providing no "exit to main menu option"? It is so inconvenient!

open "/Override/UI/GameMenu.lua" with notepad or another text editor, find and delete the following line:
Code:
Controls.MainMenuButton:SetHide(true);

Be warned that it was removed for a reason: the game wasn't unloading some core UI files with the mod when returning to the main screen, which caused issues when trying to play with another mod without quitting the game.

Still they have changed something in the code with one of the last patch about that problem of modded files that weren't unloaded, but last time I tried to restore the "return to main menu", instead of having simple issues with the UI, the game just crashed.

Could be a feature, it's sometime faster than doing a clean exit, let me know :D

The beta version does not use those UI files anymore, I'll try to remove them completely and restore the option if possible.

Top Bottom