Racism in the Lobby

Should those using Racist/Homophobic slurs be banned from multiplayer?

• Total voters
Yes.

Free speech doesn't mean some folks can be a nuisance and disturb others with their garbage everywhere at all time. CFC is not a free speech zone. I don't see why the mp lobby should be. I was in the lobby earlier tonight and it was just atrocious. The mute button works fine, but it's not permanent.

Oh! And what illram said! Good post! :goodjob:

Oh grow up you wimps. So somebody says something you dont like, just ignore him. Firaxis has bigger bugs to fix then to deal with some bored kid who just wants to annoy people. And these kids can only annoy you if you let them. And maybe you should think twice about why what some idiot in the lobby is saying offends you so much. Are you that intolerent and closed minded that you cant handle a little free speech?

BTW, I have played many many games of civ4 multiplayer and have yet to see any incident of this problem.

Possibility

let the words be said.
each time a taboo word is spoken aloud it loses some of its power.
this is the only way to kill a taboo word.

I think that the only source of power in these offensive words comes from the 'enlightened' people that they offend.

meisen said:
What about tagging the user when they post words that are offensive? Such as a "racist" tag next to someone's name who posts racist slurs for example or or "rude" next to someone who swears as another example. These tags would be plainly visible to anyone when ever that tagged person's user name is visible. Then people would know in advance what sort of person they will be dealing with

wasn't this the plot in that demi moore movie?

<j/k><wink> - scarlet letter reference of course!

meisen said:
That is one actress who's films I've been avoiding for a long, long time.
She was pretty good in Charlie's Angels II. Anyway back to the OT. I voted "no". I support free speech; a concept that is meaningless if it does not include offensive speech.

Words have the power to both destroy and heal. If words are both true and kind, they can change our world.

Racisms and homophobisms, however, are neither.

"homophobism" isn't a word in the singular :p

Interesting. Thought freedom was so fundamental that it wouldn't be strange for me as a ****** to vote no, but surprisingly...

at the end of the day, the only reason they're doing it is to get a rise out of you. reacting in the way they want encourages them to continue. stamping it out just gives them a "cause".

what was that rhyme i was told at school? "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me"

my 2 cents.

nin9abadga

(B)ut no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison(James 3:8). The mouth of the wicked gushes evil (Proverbs 16:9b). The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks (Luke 6:45).

It has been said that character is what you do when no one is looking. The internet seems to be a lot like the dark for some.

What he is saying is that the internet provides anonymity, which allows and encourages those who are predisposed to say rude/bigoted things to do so. Obviously, legions of pimple-faced angry pre-teens have no problem with screaming/typing in all caps F-bombs or the N-word online, when they are safe behind their keyboard. 99% of these same real-life noobs would never engage in the same behavior in real life in the presence of their mom or a black person, respectively. This is one of the wonders of free speech; while almost everything(excluding death threats, fraud, etc.) is allowed in theory, community standards/pressure and common courtesy tend to prevent most of the worst obscenities, at least in public, all of this accomplished without any action by the government. The internet and online games, while accessible to millions, do not qualify as in public because everyone here is anonymous. Therefore it is no surprise that we see so much racism/random obscenity on game chat. Combine immaturity/ignorance with anonymity and the expected result is a bunch of shrieking noobtards.

Adamb0mb said:
Originally Posted by Older than Dirt
It has been said that character is what you do when no one is looking. The internet seems to be a lot like the dark for some.

I don't follow

He is saying that you can judge someone's character by what they do when nobody is watching them. If they are alone in a store near a cash register and nobody would know---would they steal the money out of the drawer?

The internet offers anonymity. Nobody can really see their actions. They can always act as though someone is not looking--ie "in the dark". Many of these people show bad character.

They are also cowardly in their racism. They would never sit next to a person that they despise and spout that kind of garbage. They are emboldened because they think they are untouchable. In some cases, they had better hope that they are right.

EDIT-Angry Pants was a quicker typer. Same idea though. By the way AngryPants-greetings from the southside perimeter

Keeps them off the streets.

Older than Dirt said:
Ban all "isms"! Excellent explanations!

If the racists and the homophobes are banned, who's next? Shall we ban those people who speak ill of a particular country? How about those with anti-religious prejudices, or even pro-religious prejudices? Shall we ban people who type in 733t-speak, because they're offending people who cannot spell?

I don't like racism, homophobia, or any other kind of hate ... but I like censorship even less. Censorship is bad. All censorship is bad. Banning some idiot for being a racist may well lead to banning other people for other reasons. Can't you simply ignore and/or refuse to play with the jerks?

NOTE: Obviously, the MP lobby is private property, and the owners (Gamespy, correct?) have a legal right to enforce any code of behavior that they find appropriate. My vote is my opinion, nothing more.

I havn't been on the forums but if everybody got "Scarlet Letters" that would be great it'd remind me of "Red" friends on Ultima Online.

"You tell some 13 Year old to shove his samurai's again?"
"Yea"

Older than Dirt said:
(B)ut no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison(James 3:8). The mouth of the wicked gushes evil (Proverbs 16:9b). The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks (Luke 6:45).

I don't consider myself a religious man but those quotes are loaded with some great truisms.
As for AngryPants and Spankey, I wholeheartedly agree with you eloquent and concise posts. Well said.

Top Bottom