Raliuven SG3 AWE Persia

Wow, that is a lot of food appearing out of the fog. Good deal.

I am not in favor of a 50 turn run on iron working. No offensive units better than warriors for more than 50 turns sounds like a bad idea. Archers first sounds much safer.

I don't see any problems with a six-person roster.

It would be a bit of a gamble. 50 turns might be okay, with little contact from the AI. It could also be a disaster if multiple civs are nearby - and no iron in sight.

WC is probably the way to go.

lurker's comment: Is there still room in the roster?

I don't think it is a problem. Welcome! You are on the roster!

Roster
Raliuven (Playing)
CKS (on deck)
Elephantium
creamcheese
TheOverseer714
Aabraxan

Regarding the current position - okay, I'll play the first 20 turns. :p

I will start to mine the wheat nearby and hope to find fresh water before I get to the top two. Limited exploration, mostly to the south and starting with a sweep from west to east. As there are no GH and no value to trades, no reason to spread out too far. Would be nice to find a luxury or two. Ivory would be asking for too much, I suppose? No sign of plains anyway.

It sound like WC. The other option would be TW and then HBR but chariots are not my favorite unit.

I'll finish play tonight unless something else happens for discussion. I'll check back before I play for any further comments as well.

. . . .It sounds like everyone is good with Instant-DOW upon contact. No horse (or cow or goat) trading. We may, of course, behead messangers, boil them in oil, and make liberal use of tar and feathers. :scan: Let me know if we need further discussion on this point.

Question:

What defines 'contact' and what are our obligations? Basically, how agressive will we be in making contact. Are we required to contact them as soon as we able? Or do we DOW only when they call us up the first time?

Are we allowed to answer the phone to taunt the AI and look at what resources, luxuries, cities and techs they possess? :mischief:
I'm OK with either: (a) DOW upon an AI's appearance in the F4 screen; or (b) when they first call. I do not think we should be permitted to turn an AI away the first time it calls. Otherwise, we could stall DOWing for quite some time. Also, I think we should be able to answer the phone, call them up, look at their trade bait, etc., as long as we do not make peace.

VC: <snip>
Conquest or Domination.

. . . .For tech, I'm not sure between IW, WC, and The Wheel. IW at min research might be worthwhile, but max research on one of the others might give us more of a safety margin.
Opening tech: I'm going to vote for a max run at WC. We've got BW, so an early attacker is big. The Wheel is nice, but I don't have much luck with chariots or horses, so I fight lots of early wars with archers. 50 turns to IW is a long time to spend without any attackers better than warriors.

Turn 1 (3950 BC) Continued
Start WC at max, due in 30t @ 0gpt.
Start warrior.

Turn 2 (3900 BC)
zzz

Turn 3 (3850 BC)
zzz

Turn 4 (3800 BC)
Mine done, start road.

Turn 5 (3750 BC)
Persepolis: Warrior=>Warrior
Move warrior North to explore wheat area but he won&#8217;t go far.

Turn 6 (3700 BC)
Road done, worker moves to Wheat.
Warrior north and &#8211; wow, ANOTHER wheat? Also see more mountains. Definitely not good chariot landscape. Good call on WC.

Turn 7 (3650 BC)
Mine Wheat. Move Warrior NE. Okay, not water this way &#8211; solid mountain range.

Turn 8 (3600 BC)
Persepolis grows to size 2: Warrior=>Warrior.
This warrior stays in the town to keep the people happy.
Scouting warrior stays off the mountains to avoid being seen.

Turn 9 (3550 BC)
zzz

Turn 10 (3500 BC)
Hmmm. We seem to be ringed by hills and mountains. We might be a small dell. :(

Turn 11 (3450 BC)
Persepolis: Warrior=>Barracks
Borders expands and we see grapes! But we also see we are ringed by mountains/hills and I don&#8217;t see any fresh water. It is unlikely that coast to the SE is anything but coast considering the position on the map.
Move warrior and confirm it is coast.
Worker: Mine=>Road

IBT &#8211; American Scout comes walking across our wheat field.

Turn 12 (3400 BC)
Guess we&#8217;re not alone. I call up America and Lincoln is annoyed with us. We&#8217;ll he&#8217;ll love this! I tell his emissary that it is, in the words of tR1cKy, Time to Die!
Warrior finally sees fresh water but there is no way to get it to us through the thick mountain range and hills.

Turn 13 (3350 BC)
I push the luxury slider up to 20%. With no rivers we have no commerce tiles except the roads we make. We&#8217;ll soon be paralyzed with unhappiness.
Swap barracks to settler.
Worker finishes road, moves to next wheat.
South looks bare &#8211; tundra but there is game.

IBT &#8211; American Scout tries to come back.

Turn 12 (3300 BC)
Move warrior to threaten scout.

Turn 13 (3250 BC)
Chase scout away.

Turn 14 (3200 BC)
Hmm. See desert beyond the mountains.

Turn 15 (3150 BC)
Grow to size 4. Lux to 40%. Settler next turn.

Turn 16 (3100 BC)
Persepolis: Settler=Barracks
Move settler towards wheat lands so they can share the improved wheats.
See some type of coast to our west.
Worker: Mine=>Road
Lux to 0%, Science up to 100%, WC in 6t.

Turn 17 (3050 BC)
Move Settler into place.
Move warrior back towards our core.

Turn 18 (3000 BC)
Found 2nd city &#8211; Pasargadae: Warrior

Turn 19 (2950 BC)
zzz

Roster
Raliuven (just played)
CKS (Playing)
Elephantium (on deck)
creamcheese
TheOverseer714
Aabraxan

Attachments

• RSG3 2950BC.SAV
    69.1 KB · Views: 79
Welcome to the team Aabraxan!

:cry: No water until electricity. This sucks. On the bright side we have tons of food bonuses to make up for it.

At least we have a good chance of Iron with all of those hills and mountains. We also have a luxury and fast units will have a hard time reaching us.

I'd like to sign up, if there's still room. When I was little, I would always play as Persia because of the overpowered Immortals. This should bring back some memories.

Welcome to the team Aabraxan!

:cry: No water until electricity. This sucks. On the bright side we have tons of food bonuses to make up for it.

At least we have a good chance of Iron with all of those hills and mountains. We also have a luxury and fast units will have a hard time reaching us.
Thanks, CC. The lack of fresh water does suck, but I have high hopes for iron in them thar hills!

I'd like to sign up, if there's still room. When I was little, I would always play as Persia because of the overpowered Immortals. This should bring back some memories.

Welcome Toxicman007! I think that seven is the maximum limit of the Roster but I'd be happy to have you (you're number seven). This way if someone needs to skip or drop it won't feel like a revolving door on the turn sets.

I'll update the OP a little later today. I'll be gone most of the day, back tonight. Good luck everyone and good hunting! America volunteered to be our first victim! As far as neighbors go, that's not too shabby!

Well, that is a very interesting start. Aside from the lack of water, it looks really nice.

I've got the save.

We had better get Iron, with all those hills and mountains. No fresh water sucks, both for growth and commerce, so research is going to be iffy too. I think the GLib will be critical in this game.

We had better get Iron, with all those hills and mountains. No fresh water sucks, both for growth and commerce, so research is going to be iffy too. I think the GLib will be critical in this game.

Definitely, or else we will rapidly fall behind. I suppose the exception is if we are alone with one civ on our continent, then we might get away with out it.

Also welcome aboard Toxicman007! Very full roster now. :)

Turn 0:
Warrior code in 2, barracks in 7, warrior in 4.
Turn 1: Nothing
IBT: Learn Warrior code, start iron working, due in 26 turns at 90% science, +0 gpt.
Turn 2: Nothing
Turn 3: Nothing
IBT: Mine finishes, warrior finishes, start worker in Pasargadae.
Turn 4: Worker roads. Fort warrior.
IBT: 3 American warriors appear 2 E of Persepolis.
Turn 5: Move warrior out of Pas.
IBT: Warriors advance, 4th warrior appears. Road completes, barracks complete, start archer. Persepolis should have grown but when the warriors stepped on the BG, the new tile was forest. I should have thought of that. :(
Turn 6: Worker goes north. All warriors to Persepolis. Pas. switches to warrior, lux to 20%.
IBT: 2 Warriors attack - One dies while redlining one of ours, the other redlines but kills one of ours. The 4th warrior advances, so three sit beside Persepolis. We get a palace expansion, that I don't build.
Turn 7: Worker roads, warriors sit tight.
IBT: Warrior kills one, redlined retreats, 3rd sits there, 2 more appear. Pas. warrior to warrior.
Turn 8: Warrior to Persepolis. I'm feeling anxious.
IBT: Warrior redlines killing one of ours, but promotes. Persepolis builds an archer, starts a spear.
turn 9: Archer 2/4 kills warrior. Rush a spear in Pasargadae. Accidentally hit space for worker while trying to alt-tab.
IBT: 2/4 warrior retreats. 3/3 warrior loses 1 hp to archer, then dies to warrior. 3rd warrior sits there. Spear completes in Pas, start barracks. We have survived.
Turn 10 Swap Persepolis back to archer. Spear goes to Persepolis. Worker mines. Archer rests.

There is a stack of 2 warriors healing 2 E of Persepolis, and a single warrior 1 E of Persepolis. We are average vs the Americans, and our score is higher. They have two workers sitting in Washington. They are up pottery and down warrior code.

Attachments

• RSG3 2510BC.SAV
    72.1 KB · Views: 87
Pre-turn:

Rearrange the citizens in Persepolis.

IBT:

American Warrior moves next to Persepolis. No attacks.

T32 - 2470 BC: Archer kills Warrior 1-0. I move a Warrior from the capital to Pasargadae; this drops the lux slider from 30 to 10%. IW due in 18, -1gpt.
Persepolis: Archers
T33 - 2430 BC: Archer kills Warrior 2-0. Lux to 20%; Pas is size 2.
T34 - 2390 BC: Lose Archer to enemy Warrior 2-1. 1 damage :wallbash: Hire a geek in the capital to avoid a 40% lux rate.
T35 - 2350 BC: Hunker down; the remaining Archer is wounded.
American Warrior attacks and dies at the gates of Persepolis 3-1.
Persepolis: Archer > Settler
T36 - 2310 BC: Zzz...the remaining enemy Warrior is healing in a forest outside our borders.
T37 - 2270 BC: Lose Archer to enemy Warrior :( 3-2. Second Archer kills it 4-2.
T38 - 2230 BC: Shuffle units to avoid a riot in Pas.
T39 - 2190 BC: Zzz...
T40 - 2150 BC: Again, zzz...

We're in good shape for the moment. A Settler will complete on the next turn; I intended him for the Wines.

Roster
Raliuven
CKS
Elephantium (just played)
creamcheese (up)
TheOverseer714 (on deck)
Aabraxan (in the hole)
Toxicman007

Thanks for letting me join, guys. But I warn you, I'm not very experienced with SGs. Hopefully I'll learn a lot.

Thanks for letting me join, guys. But I warn you, I'm not very experienced with SGs. Hopefully I'll learn a lot.

There's no better way to learn than to jump in with both feet! I think you'll find the players - and the lurkers - to be a great group of people that will give valuable advice. Don't hesitate to stop mid turn to ask for input - our teammates have a lot of experience.

Above all - Welcome to the team!

:goodjob: you survived the first wave of enemies, there is now nothing that can stop you from here.

I would settle on top of the wine, that way the enemy can't pillage the luxury.

I was thinking about this and I guess I am a PTW at heart - I didn't even consider that continental landmass may restrict initial contacts. It may be that America is the only Civ on the island with us and that the other civs won't even be able to reach us until the end of the Middle Ages (save the GLH). And since they can't sell contacts unless we actively go looking for them it could be a long time before we have to DOW on several of the AI. What are the typical settings for a AW game? Guess I should have asked that in the OP!

Kibitzer:
I guess that would depend upon what type of game you wanted. Played a lot of continent AW games on std, large, huge and massive maps. The larger the map the more it plays like a pan map, as long as you are scaling up the number of civs.

The smaller the landmass you start on and the fewer civs on that land the harder your invasions will be. The lack of leaders is what makes invasions on those maps harder. There is some trade off, if they slowed on research.

If you wanted a rip roaring never ending slugfest, then pan maps are the ticket. Min water, older wolrd and less jungle will make things busier normally.

It is not easy to invade a very large landmass with maybe 5 civs that you are at war with, especially if they have some rails up. The fewer armies you have, the worse and being on a small landmass could mean few leaders indeed.

Top Bottom