Raliuven SG3 AWE Persia

Haven't had a chance to take a look at the save yet. For housecleaning purposes:

Roster
Raliuven (on deck)
CKS
Elephantium
creamcheese
TheOverseer714 (skipped per request)
Aabraxan (just played)
Toxicman007 (Playing)

I looked at the save and I think 1SE of the northern gold would be a good spot. It keeps us within CxxC and is on a hill. Cultural borders will give us those three grassland tiles NE of Pasargadae, we need to settle the edges of our mountain ranges so we can kill enemies on flat land. Killing numidians on hills and mountains is a pain.

I'd also suggest 3NE of Antioch. I can tell from fog-gazing that it's a riverside hill, so it'll be a good spot in the long-term (assuming there's enough food - we should scout the river a bit more). Maybe that should be our next city after the northern gold site?

Agreed with both city suggestions.

The first hill up the coast from Arbela also has some promise, getting us access to a forest, a BG, and a regular grassland tile.

To clarify, 1 SE of the northern gold means SE of both of the northern golds, not on the gold, right?

Kibitzer:

One way to ensure that a given tile is the one being discussed is to use the numbers. Like 662 that correspnds to the num pad keys. Then they is no doubt about where the tile is located.

To visualize what we are talking about:

The reddot is creamcheese's suggestion.

The orange dot is from Elephantium.

I placed the blue dot/blue 'x' for discussion.

Well, before I play, I'd like to know where most people want to settle, and whether or not I can use the Immortal to fight off any evil Americans/Carthaginians. A Golden Age may or may not be useful at this point, but I'd like to hear from everyone nonetheless.

Blue x gives us access to the coast, while blue dot does not. With either, we'll get all the tiles between it and the rest of our lands to fill in. Blue dot is reachable in 1 turn with roads, while x is not. We can see all the tiles that blue dot will work, but not what x will work, as there may be useful water tiles, and we may need commerce for research to get off our continent. I prefer x, but dot is okay.

I think the problem is actually our lack of scouting. AW has kept us close to home and we have no idea where it would be good to push towards. May I suggest at least scouting our local mountain range? We have already met what are probably the two closest civs.

I am partial to the blue dot, unless the blue x has a fish or something. I also still like the red dot. :dunno: Just settle what you like, we aren't hurting yet, so we have a little leeway.

I agree with creamcheese. Red dot first, scout orange and blue, and make a decision between those with the next settler.

Well, before I play, I'd like to know where most people want to settle, and whether or not I can use the Immortal to fight off any evil Americans/Carthaginians. A Golden Age may or may not be useful at this point, but I'd like to hear from everyone nonetheless.

If you get in serious trouble, yes, use the Immortals. However, don't use them for casual combat. If you start seeing swords or Numidians that Archers can't take down and a city may fall is "serious trouble". Anything else, suck it up. Just like a mind, a golden age is a terrible thing to waste.

As far as the dot map goes, I like Orange, then Blue X(sounds like an extra dirty movie, or toilet bowl cleaner). Neither will grow much, but they will move the frontier out. As far as scouting, a careful look see shouldn't hurt.

I like red first, since we have a settler now. I'd prefer to scout orange before settling. If we can take a look at orange (by going to the mountain south of orange) in the two turns before the settler would have to decide where to go, we could divert to orange if it looked a lot better.

I agree with Overseer about using immortals.

I defer to those with more AW experience than I regarding the use of immortals. I try to withhold my GA until after a government change and it seems to me we'll need the boost to keep pace with the AI on the tech race.

I put down the Blue X because I that is the space I prefer - I like a little space in my core, but I realize that is a luxury we perhaps cannot afford. We'll get coast but without a harbor that won't give us much growth at X. The blue dot gives us access to three grass tiles. :dunno:

I have no issue with the red dot first and some more scouting. I think we need some more scouting to the northeast.

Well, I shall play today (or tomorrow if I'm really THAT lazy). I plan to settle on the red dot, and not use any immortals. I'll also explore a little, but not too much, as we need those troops for defense from the barbarian hordes of America and Carthage.

Top Bottom