Random events on or off?

Actually, this is entirely your construct. I've never said such a thing. Have fun arguing with yourself. I'm not going to get involved in that little family feud.

Failing to present a reasonable basis for an argument = no argument.

You are 1) claiming events average out 2) Utterly refusing to define "average out" (likely because you can't do so in a way that fits your assertion in the face of Rolo's evidence) and then 3) Ridiculing someone for attempting to interpret an incomplete argument for interpreting it in the wrong way...

and then still not presenting your own definition of "average out". Unless you meant that "share market" nonsense to do so, which I sincerely hope isn't the case.

100% false claims (events average out) without any supporting basis for them, especially when they're made with a fair bit of frequency, are grating. Rolo has provided overtly solid evidence that events don't...can't...average out in the vast majority of games by any known standard definition. All arguments against that evidence have been definitional dancing at best.

It would be best for the side asserting this ludicrous "average out" concept to clearly define their actual position on this terminology.

I rarely play with random events. They do not average out due to their power. Getting the 25% bonus for melee units against archery is an event that can win you the game. With praetorians on an earth 18 map (emperor) I killed/vassaled every old-world civ with a praetorian rush except China and Japan as they got macemen or were on another landmass. Without this event those archery units would have been much harder to kill.

Actually, this is entirely your construct. I've never said such a thing. Have fun arguing with yourself. I'm not going to get involved in that little family feud.
Yup, indeed it is my construct. I said it in the last sentence of the post you quoted. ... because you failed to toss out a definition of your own. So I was forced to deduct what was your operational definition from your posts.

I said in post 137 that, according to your previous posts, you thinked that a game averaged out if there were good and bad events in any particular ammount ( since you have been aparently skating around to avoid giving a clear definition while hinting that it all depends on defition of average you are using :crazyeye: ... and this regardlss of if you think events should average or not, since you clearly stated in post #125 that you believed that somehow good events trumped bad ones ... you can't say that without having a idea where the 0 of that scale is :p ). I presented a pseudo reductio ad absurdum and in post #138 you didn't denied you agreed with it ... in fact you even hinted that, according you, it would fit RL better. More, you repeatedly said ( one example is post #125 ) that you are OK if a event system gives good and bad events ( never quantifying things at all )

Adding those two, what can you deduct? You have not given a definition of how to check if good events measure against bad ones, and you said that you are ok if there are good and bad events. I only used Occam razor and used as working hypothesis that you were ok with any system that delivers good and bad events, since you are unwilling/unable/not interested to quantify your boundaries of how much good/bad stuff you are willing to take in a events system.

So, I repeat , it is a construct of mine. You are hinting that it is not your opinion. How about stating what is your opinion after all ? It would save me and others the work of trying to deduct or save us both of the possibility of being fighting strawmen. Or atleast say that you aren't interested in discussing the break point of events benefits, but then good luck in discussing the merits of a event system vs the possible alternatives ( between no events at all or any other possible event system ) without doing so :D

P.S I guess I was not clear enough. I've read your discussion with TMIT since it started, and deeply ingrained in all of your line of argument against his points is the notion that the current event system is neither globally positive or negative ( your soccer analogies imply that strongly with that talk about being penalized by a referee in one game and being helped in the next one ). In fact your point only holds any water if the event system is not tilted to good or bad events ... That is why i brought this line of argument... you might want to see it as a construct of mine or being my agenda, but i'm only questioning a assumption you have been making that IMHO is crucial for your argument line to hold.

Uhm, we are going a little off-topic, I think. I can't really follow anymore.

I don't argue against other people's constructs because it is a complete waste of time. Next time, argue against something I said, not yourself.

How about presenting an argument? I'm sure it should be possible.

stop being a jerk herp derp events cancel each other out

No they don't!

And thus, our posts cancel out. ;)

Wait, does that work like that?

Herp Derp Events indeed. :/

stop being a jerk herp derp events cancel each other out

There. Also, because it's me, your argument is invalid.

:lol:

:lol:. I was tired/disoriented for a moment there and didn't get it.

I did. You just refused to listen and decided to go on your own rant instead.

No, there's no argument presented, because its basic premise isn't even defined and that side of the debate refuses to define it.

I don't argue against other people's constructs because it is a complete waste of time. Next time, argue against something I said, not yourself.
Ok, let me put thing in a way does not offend your principles ... I'll ask you a question. Better said, I'll reask a question you decided to edit out of the quote you made of my post.

Your argument about events has deeply ingrained the idea that events aren't so bad because they somewhat average out ... " a forest fire now, a forest spread later" ( you said it , so don't say it is my construct ) .This is also backed by your sports analogies ...

So could you kindly say in what way events average out according to you ? A good and solid definition would be nice, but event a guiding principle would suffice.

P.S will not say more about people getting around in circles when asked a question, ignoring presented documentation and refusing to give definitions. Not productive.

Random events of course don't "average out", there are too few events in one game to facilitate that statistically. They would "average out" if the same number of people played tons of games against each other and tallied the results, but I doubt that that's feasible to the extent necessary here.

Personally, I'm favoring strong random events, of the type that give civs a considerable advantage or disadvantage. Apart from making the game more interesting, such events have a specific positive effect in my preferred flavor of games. I'm playing massive games with 30+ AI civs, and having strong random events increases the chance that one rival gets powerful enough to pose a challenge in the late game. For a challenging game, I want to have a dominant AI emerging on most continents, otherwise the AIs are too easy to pick off.

Of course, if I played multiplayer instead, and I'd want the player with the best skill to win, then I'd be against strong random events, because they obviously add a factor into the equation that is not skill-based.

In short: If a Civ game is seen as a pure contest of skill, then strong random events are undesirable. If a Civ game is seen as a fun way of being part of a massive alternative world history (with some challenge added to spice the mix), then they are definitely desirable.

Ok, let me put thing in a way does not offend your principles ... I'll ask you a question. Better said, I'll reask a question you decided to edit out of the quote you made of my post.

Your argument about events has deeply ingrained the idea that events aren't so bad because they somewhat average out ... " a forest fire now, a forest spread later" ( you said it , so don't say it is my construct ) .This is also backed by your sports analogies ...

So could you kindly say in what way events average out according to you ? A good and solid definition would be nice, but event a guiding principle would suffice.

P.S will not say more about people getting around in circles when asked a question, ignoring presented documentation and refusing to give definitions. Not productive.

You get good events, you get bad events. The AI also gets the same. It is not unique to you. They average out.

The problem with the anti-events arguments is that they are predicated on the fact that bad events happen to you, but good events happen to your opposition. Therefore, it is unbalanced.

This is complete nonsense as both good and bad events happens to everyone, AI included. Anyone who has played enough games with events on will see that. Therefore, if you play lots of games, no one has an advantage. Events happen to everyone equally.

True. The AIs get the bad stuff too. In one of my first BTS games, one of the AI got wiped out by the Aryan Archers (or whatever it's called) during the first few turns of the game. My reaction to that was, if I wanted to play a game with fewer AIs in it, I would have decreased the default number in Custom Games. After that I turned events off and have left them off. Nothing wrong with them, if they appeal to you. Since Firaxis made them optional, I option them off. :lol:

The problem with the anti-events arguments is that they are predicated on the fact that bad events happen to you, but good events happen to your opposition. Therefore, it is unbalanced.

No, no, no.
In this, you are really downplaying the weight of your oppositions arguments.

To me, it is highly irrelevant who recieves good events and who recieves bad events.

I find that most people contributing to this topic are just rude, and I would like to call for more civil behaviour.
I was under the impression that you were polite, but when you ignore me, I'm starting to doubt that!

You get good events, you get bad events. The AI also gets the same. It is not unique to you. They average out.

According to this nonsense definition, Rolo's previous definitions he assumed based on your story are accurate. You really are asserting that 999 good events and 1 catastrophic one are fine, and that 999 bad events and one game winner are examples of "averaging out". Also, because you use averaging out as a defense of events, you are asserting that such an event pattern would be fine.

However, there is nothing "average" about those outcomes, despite that they fit your definition. If you use a wrong definition as a core basis for an entire argument, that does not help the credibility of the argument much...

This is an absolute joke. Nobody debating strongly against events in the past 5 pages of this thread has made the assertion that events are imbalanced because bad ones happen to players and good to opposing players. For someone who has instructed posters to read previous posts, this is pretty sour stuff right here. Here are some examples of how wrong this quoted material is:

The problem is when events exist or are forced to exist via luck abuse in competitive settings. Then people with more time or luck > people with more skill. Not cool.

Is this predicated on who has which event? Nope.

They just have to be less game breaking.

Events: Low frequency of occurrence with occasionally catastrophic implications on the outcome of the game. Examples I have seen alone include 3000 BC civ death, losing 10000+ at sea in an instant, being forced to declare on other civs that are more powerful and have DP with each other, player getting shock on something like praetorians, and +3 global diplo.

Note that in HoF the fact that they're optional essentially makes them mandatory; this is the format where they frustrate me the most because they're the MOST devoid of strategy! In HoF, the event "strategy" is to play more games until the events favor you. Real fun concept .

Is this predicated on who has which event? Not to sound like a broken record here but...Nope.

Therefore the *assumptions* about the opposing arguments, 8 pages into a thread? Incorrect :lol:.

Arguments presented against events, summed up:

1. They can change the outcome of games between relatively even play quality independently of skill (never refuted)
2. Many of them have 0 way to plan for them ahead of side and a simple adjustment when they happen, making them strategically worthless (also never refuted), despite claims that events force people to adapt strategies (they don't, they force players to shift strategies they're running at present).
3. Many of them are rare enough that sensible players would still run their prereqs (example: slave revolts). Only an idiot would avoid running slavery to prevent slave revolts when slavery is easily the best civic for his empire (sometimes but not always this is the case). However, the only way to prevent slave revolts is to avoid slavery. That's 100% idiot option: even with 3-4 slave revolts slavery is still better. However, it is not uncommon for 2 players to get different amounts of slave revolts in the same game, despite running it same #turns. Advantage goes (at random) to a player not getting them. This argument holds true for any event that is rare enough that opp-cost adjusted calculations still suggest that their trigger is the best behavior for the person executing it. (never refuted)
4. There are some absolutely garbage events that can cause an instant loss outright, and some that in the right situation can lead to an instant win.
5. Players with more time can simply game the system until the events they like occur, creating a barrier to competition to those who can't or don't want to play that many games.

These arguments have been the grounds for me saying that they shouldn't be around in competitive settings in this thread and long before it. It's very frustrating to have posters claim they don't even exist or that they're different from what they are.

Actually, old boy, you ignored me Read the thread again from about 3 pages back

Excellent advice. I suggest you try it out to get an accurate picture of the opposing arguments. I also suggest an actual argument that opposes the points of people who are arguing against having events in competitive settings, as opposed to arguments against assertions that don't exist.

Long time reader of the forum, but post very rarely due to lack of time. I play on Monarch/Emperor. Regretfully I’ve never played MP, also related to time issues.

I’ll probably repeat things already said, but for once I actually have time to post and am eager to jump in given the opportunity.

The thread has evolved since the start and concerns more than the initial simple question “Random events on or off”. For the record, I leave them on because I want to. I also think that having the choice to toggle them on/off is great.

Concerning the be or not be of events in competitive settings, I am on the “be” side. My logic behind it is as follows:

1) When I think of competition, I think of sports or games. And in sports or games luck is nearly always present. Even more, I am of the opinion that if it were not, the competing itself would cease shortly thereafter. Bear with me and imagine a sport – if the team or individual with better skills always won, competing a second time will be, to quote Blackadder, like a broken pencil – utterly pointless. Eliminating the element of chance is in effect killing the competition (no pun intended... at first).

2) Total fairness in any given competition is impossible in theory and very nearly so in practice. If total fairness is unattainable, then every competition between equally skilled individuals is per definition sometimes decided by chance. I consider that to be a generic feature of competitions. Take that away and what we have is 2+2=4 all the time. A fact. The nature of competitions is that there are no “facts”, there are no constants, just variables. Given, some may vary very little or very seldom, but they will eventually vary. I believe all competitive formats acknowledge this which is why there always is some sort of conventional compromise to total fairness. Generally, equal opportunity and equal starting conditions are considered fairness in practice. Two long jumpers may be scheduled 2 min after one another in which time wind velocity shifts from +1,5 to -1,5 m/s. Fair? No. Happens? All the time. Did someone have a predetermined unfair advantage though? I don’t believe so, since at the beginning of the contest they all had exactly equal opportunities.

3) Fairness and luck are two completely independent factors. Some people win gazillions on the lottery, while others win zilch. Is it stupid luck? Yes. But is it fair? Also yes, because you must appreciate the fact that they stood the exact same chance of winning when they picked their numbers. I mean you cant possibly blame someone for an unfair advantage, just because you don’t like the outcome when it occurs. As soon as the first of the winning lottery numbers is drawn, it is obvious that people who haven’t picked it are eliminated. Conditions have changed. But note that we are talking about the current conditions. Starting conditions are unaltered and still quite fair.

4) It is my opinion that Civ 4 already involves so many elements based on chance, that one more – random events – does not make any significant difference. Starting location, resources, neighbours, fight outcome, unique unit, unique building, religion spread etc. etc. Any number of these may be considered “game breaking” in the sense most posters use the term on this thread. My take is slightly different, I make a distinction between game breaking for me personally and game breaking as in an unplayable game.

At the moment I can think of one game where close to total fairness may be observed – tic tac toe. Since the complexity is small and the options are very finite, one may assume that total fairness exists not only at get go (as with most competitions), but also every step of the way. What is the result - there are only a few permutations and a game between good players will always end in a draw. Which makes the whole idea of playing a broken pencil. If we want to have a truly competitive (meaning absolutely fair) setting in Civ4, we can only have one map, one civ to play, the random seed for the entire game known at the start and so on. In other words, and I suspect many may agree, complete and utter boredom. On the other hand we will always have the most skilled player(s) get the highest score. To me that is the opposite of competition. It is mathematics.

P.S. If you want to play a game when the rules are designed to be as close to total fairness as possible, try competive bridge. Competitive rules ensure that both scoring system and dealt cards matter as little as possible. One of the best games ever.

1) When I think of competition, I think of sports or games. And in sports or games luck is nearly always present. Even more, I am of the opinion that if it were not, the competing itself would cease shortly thereafter. Bear with me and imagine a sport – if the team or individual with better skills always won, competing a second time will be, to quote Blackadder, like a broken pencil – utterly pointless. Eliminating the element of chance is in effect killing the competition (no pun intended... at first).

Bogus. Not only do sports have extremely minimal elements of chance, but that chance is up to decisions made by the player. Also, "skill" is not fixed. Are you going to tell me that the Bills beat the Patriots or that the Ravens beat the Jets because they got lucky? Really?

What sports do NOT have is randomly benching quarterbacks, star players, etc for 1/8 or 1/4 of the game based on a dice roll. Even injury, a joke example provided previously, is rarely a factor of luck. If you apply the same amount of force to the same spot on the body, the same thing is likely to happen to it. Even injury is a factor of player decisions. The analogy to events is completely broken, as is the argument that luck somehow makes competition more pure. It doesn't. Uncontrollable luck factors cheapen competition, which is why teams aren't required to randomly bench their players, play different game lengths in different games, or any other assortment of stupid rules.

Total fairness in any given competition is impossible in theory and very nearly so in practice. If total fairness is unattainable, then every competition between equally skilled individuals is per definition sometimes decided by chance.

Aside from the logical flaw in something being impossible in theory and then minimally possible in practice, I see nothing wrong here so far.

I consider that to be a generic feature of competitions. Take that away and what we have is 2+2=4 all the time. A fact.

And now you fall from (mostly) accurate to 100% incorrect. Take a competition that has absolutely 0 luck factor: shooting 3 point shots indoors with identical lighting and no wind. Put two players against each other in this setting. A small % of the time, a poor player will hit more shots out of 10 or even out of 20+ shots than a player who is good at shooting. Do you assert this as luck? If so, how was the poor player lucky? If you can't, there is a fundamental logical flaw in your assertion that luck is required for competition.

What you believe is not relevant to what happens in competitions. Unless you have insider knowledge on the way these competitions are handled, you can't realistically assert they "acknowledge this" (care to post proof on that point?).

Let's continue:

Generally, equal opportunity and equal starting conditions are considered fairness in practice. Two long jumpers may be scheduled 2 min after one another in which time wind velocity shifts from +1,5 to -1,5 m/s. Fair? No. Happens? All the time.

Yes, although is there a reasonable means to avoid this issue? How large an impact does this issue have on the jumps? Also, how is this a REASONABLE analogy to events, which can completely turn outcomes independently of skill? Is one athlete jumping in a hurricane and another with 0 wind?

Fairness and luck are two completely independent factors.

Yes, but this really doesn't address any of the points made by those in opposition to events, does it? No, it does not. I didn't say anything about fairness here in my event argument summary (and everyone having an equal opportunity to be screwed is part of the reason why). You could infer an unfair advantage to those with extra time in HoF settings though. Basically this point is true but has 0 relevance to the merits of events. Everyone has a fair chance in russian roulette, also, but that doesn't make it a good game to play.

It is my opinion that Civ 4 already involves so many elements based on chance, that one more – random events – does not make any significant difference.

Such a shame that we've already demonstrated times where adding an additional chance element such as events DOES make a difference. Believing otherwise is one's choice, but it's proven wrong. All random factors make a difference, and to a variable extent for each.

By the way, uniques and religions are not truly chance-based unto themselves and constitute bad examples.

On the other hand we will always have the most skilled player(s) get the highest score. To me that is the opposite of competition. It is mathematics.

Actually, as I demonstrated in the basketball 3 point shot example, those "mathematics" are wrong :lol:.

I'd also be delighted to hear how non-player decision-based chance has ANY factor on the outcome of, say, starcraft 2 matches. Or matches between organized teams in Gears of War 3 (or most decent shooters for that matter). Of the non-civ strong TBS games, most of the ones considered good don't have the game decided on low-odds RNG draws very often. Right now, civ IV is closer to pokemon competitions.

Even the woefully-designed civ V has a better handle on reigning in this crap than civ IV. Too bad that beta game was sold as a finished title and never truly finished but oh well.

P.S. If you want to play a game when the rules are designed to be as close to total fairness as possible, try competive bridge. Competitive rules ensure that both scoring system and dealt cards matter as little as possible. One of the best games ever.

I've heard this before and have been meaning to look into it.

@logotet. Competitive bridge is less luck-based than CivIV, it's true. This applies to Matchpoints, not Swiss Teams. But these rules for competitive bridge is to reduce the luck element from regular bridge. You don't get the luck out of the game, however. It's common to see a pair finish near last one game and first the next game. And this is over three hours.

If we're trying to play CivIV competitively or for comparison, we should try to reduce luck in the same way. And that means turning off huts and events to try to make games more comparable. We'll never get rid of the luck element, but we need to minimize it. If the game isn't for comparison or competition, events can be fun and a lot of people enjoy it. Some don't, but it's purely a personal preference.

Top Bottom