Random Rants LXVI: NO, **YOUR** THREAD TITLES SUCK!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely read books, just at a rather slower pace than which I obtain them. :)

Well, with all this talk of organizing (yes, I know I started it), there wasn't a lot of talk of reading them. So I asked. No snark intended.

I organise them as they fit best, trying to keep series and collections together. I have been thinking lately that a reorganisation is necessary, especially because I dont know how many unread books I have lost sight of. The shelves are two to three rows deep, amd overflowing...

700 books is "not a huge number"?
Back in 1981 somebody asked me how many science fiction books I had. I said "500" as a guess.

I was short by over 300.

It is large, but not for someone who writes/reads as a main vocation. I know people who have 3K books. Now that is extreme ;)
Nope. It's not extreme at all. The only problem is finding enough shelf space.

I don't think I have that many actual books, but when you add up the other stuff - fanzines and pattern books... it could be in that neighborhood.

I'm actually too scared to count them, these days. :hide:

I guess I'm an outlier with my... 6 books.
:rotfl:

When I was about 3 or so, my mother would tuck me into bed with my two teddy bears, stuffed dog, and a stack of books - more than 6 (I had a night light). I didn't start learning to read until a year later, but one of those books was my mother's old school atlas, from some time in the early 1950s. That was when I first became fascinated with maps, and is one of the things that eventually led me to play Civ and join this forum.

So if you're ever annoyed with me, blame my mother. :p

Oh, and I still have that atlas. :D

Well, I'm certainly not worthy of notice with a mere 100+ books in my collection.

Well, I'm certainly not worthy of notice with a mere 100+ books in my collection.
You have at least 94 more than Vincour has.

I think this is a good metric for people to use when counting books. I approve.

I think this is a good metric for people to use when counting books. I approve.
Well, you have more books than my cats do. I never taught them to read (at least not any human languages), so I've never thought it made sense to buy them any books.

Honestly, it's not really how many books a person has, but how much they enjoy them. I grew up surrounded by books from a very young age - everybody in my family read. Some of the ones I have were inherited. The oldest is a book of psalms written in Swedish. My great-grandfather gave it to my great-grandmother as a gift before they were married. This goes back to the 1890s.

I've got 3 books this week, next week I will have a different 3 books apart from the 50,000 in the local library
years of working all over the place led me to stop acuminating 'stuff ' as it will never be used and just collects dust
my 'to read' list is extensive so I have little time to reread books that often and I buy books when I think I can read them then give them away to the opp. shop another good source of books
I wish people would stop buying me books at Xmas.... it annoys them when they are not kept
people should learn not to give me books as presents.

700 is ok. I probably would have at least 100 more, if due to money shortages i hadn't only bought one book in the last 4 years, instead using the libraries.

Most are by the same authors. Eg i have over 30 by Kafka (some in different editions), and 15 volumes of Dostoevsky's main novels.

... i hadn't only bought one book in the last 4 years, instead using the libraries.

So, you're a pillar of the local community as well? I'm impressed. :)

I need to buy a new laptop. My old Dell m1530 has served me very well but is now showing it's age. It's still quite snappy to work with but Vista is no longer a viable OS to linger in. And upgrading to Win10 will more than likely come with plenty of driver woes for this set of hardware. Pluss I'd have to pay for the OS upgrade. Saving money is hard when you keep buying stuff though.

I am pretty sure I fall quite short of 500 books, including comics and all. I have stopped asking for books for Christmas or my birthday, as I dont rrad enough these days to keep up. Much of my reading nowadays comes from the uni library anyway. I go with albums and movies, and in under four years I have gone from basically none to possibly 100 albums. I know I have at least 75 CDs, and my vynil records probably put the total safely into the three digits. I also have a bunch of movies, havent counted them but somewhere between 35 and 50 seems a good guess.

Funnily enough my main use for municipal libraries is actually getting movies to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom