Random Raves 40: Happy new year

Status
Not open for further replies.
You do need to be careful about that sort of thing. You can find plenty of advice at the 419eater site (the name is based on the section of the Nigerian penal code dealing with advance fee fraud).

I have to admit, I have always been tempted to write back to that Nigerian prince--feigning interest in his misfortune, indicating that my lawyers and the police I've consulted have advised me not to give my bank account number, dropping hints all along that I know the scam, but never saying so in so many words, always under the pretense of genuine concern. Always dangling the possibility that I could be persuaded to give over my bank account number. Just tell me a little more about yourself so that I can set the authorities I've been talking to at ease. For myself, I'm inclined to believe you, but the FBI guy I was talking to is dead set you're a fraud . . .

It was less than entirely fun when one slipped through the agency's employees. Being forced to be the one that says, "This is not real, here is why" costs something. You can watch some of the light die. I'm not sure that it comes back the same way.

I'm planning this hike for November of this year or spring of next year:

This guy basically did the exact same hike I am planning. It's not the usual route to EBK, but rather takes you via Gokyo lakes and the Cho La pass, which makes it more strenuous and more challenging, but a LOT more scenic.

It took him 13 days. I am scheduling 16 days, just in case. I looked at 7-10 different packages companies offer (for $$$) for this exact hike and they range from 13 days to 17. So I think 16 should be good. Also adding a couple of "emergency days" after the hike, in case we get slowed down by bad weather or high altitude issues, which can happen.

So far it's me and my friend (who I hiked to Machu Picchu to with) going. If anyone wants to meet up with us there and do the hike with us, feel free to drop me a note. I realize this is unlikely, but I'm inviting people left in right, cause you never know. We are NOT going with a pricy company, but will be hiring a guide independently as well as a porter (or two). So if there's more people, it makes it cheaper. Just be mindful that you need to be in decent shape. If you smoke it's probably a bad idea to go.

I am pretty excited about this and have already started trying to get in shape

Could I use my AT ski gear for the trek down the mountain? Also can I bring lots of dogs for the trek up?

Anyway, sounds like an amazing trip, I'm jelly.

We're not climbing Everest, we are just hiking to the first basecamp. It's a 160km hike total (there and back), including acclimatization days (during which you climb up, then climb back down and sleep at the same place you slept the night before)

Your flight into Nepal should be cheaper than what we'll have to pay, since you're a lot closer. Once there accommodation during the hike will cost $1-$3 a night. You get a small room and a bed. Food during the hike will cost $10-$15 USD a day. Other than that the cost of the guide and porter(s) should max out at about $800 USD (divided by however many people go). For the couple days we'll have in Kathmandu we'll probably stay at a hotel initially to get over the jetlag, which might cost $50-$80 a night. Food should be cheaper there than on the trail as well.

If those costs sound reasonable to you, and you can afford to leave your home/work/whatever for about 25 days, then I can include you in the plans as a "potential hiking mate".

Here is the first itinerary I've put together, after doing all the research about how many days might be needed. Hopefully we won't need all the free days at the end. If we don't, we'll use those days to spend some time in Kathmandu and do some day trips from there. If we do, that's fine.
Spoiler :

You could probably bring your dogs, but that would probably be really expensive.

Not doable for me at all I'm afraid. Also I'm scared what that kind of altitude would do to my body. I'm used to starting around sea level. I've never been close to 3000-5000m up.

Not doable for me at all I'm afraid. Also I'm scared what that kind of altitude would do to my body. I'm used to starting around sea level. I've never been close to 3000-5000m up.

Yeah the high altitudes can really mess with you. That's why I'm including as many acclimatization days as possible and stretching the hike out, plus adding emergency days so that we can take longer if we need to. As soon as anyone in our group starts exhibiting high altitude sickness symptoms, we are going to stop hiking, and possibly even descending and waiting out a day.

The highest I've ever been at was 4,600m and that was basically the highest part of the hike in Peru. For this Nepal hike we are going to spend almost a week at higher altitudes than that! So I'm definitely starting to get in shape now.

Civfanatics is getting to me. My friend told me that I never offer opinions anymore, I just make statements about things and argue for them.

Is that really a rave?

You're right, I should have posted that in the latest Trump thread.

"Statements about things", certainly. Constant arguing, not necessarily.

Yeah, but "statements about things that call for you to argue for them" = opinions, I'm with Lohr

He meant that they're always judgments. I never say "I like such-and-such," it's always "such-and-such is clearly superior."

He meant that they're always judgments. I never say "I like such-and-such," it's always "such-and-such is clearly superior."

Should have said "objectively superior" clearly you need some drilling yet. :p

For what it's worth, I'd agree with him.

No I'm more on Mouthwash's side on this one.
People who like demand you to preface what you think with "in my opinion..." and similar are being wankers
Especially since they seldom do that themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom