Random Raves 40: Happy new year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which of these countries does not have German as an official language? Germany, Austria, Belgium, Switzerland, Poland, or Luxembourg.

Errr yeah okay like we'd ever have German as an official language in Poland. I grabbed that trivia sheet with the speed of a thousand Trumps and circled in "Poland". We won the week again, 3 points ahead the runners up, and we are well on our way to our 4th season trophy (a season is 12 weeks of trivia)

This was all a bit funny because I'm always talking about how "Poland questions are mine to answer" and I always wonder whether we'll have a Poland question. And they never come up. And when they do Poland is never the right answer. Well, now it was.

Poland

Poland can not into Deutsch.

That was a pretty obvious question, to be perfectly honest. It is always good when you have a lightspeed reaction to a question though. Especially when nobody else knows it. You get such a feeling of smugness.

What are official languages where isn't all that obvious all the time. Since different countries work with different criteria of what makes a language official.

That was a pretty obvious question, to be perfectly honest. It is always good when you have a lightspeed reaction to a question though. Especially when nobody else knows it. You get such a feeling of smugness.

Haha.. Well.. See, whenever one of the multiple choice questions has countries in it, my team 80% of the time pushes the sheet towards me. And I usually have to spend a bit of time analyzing it, all while there's 7 sets of eyes looking at me, which leads to pressure, and expectations, and so on. But if I am 95% sure I know the answer right off the bat, yeah, I am going to get ahead of their expectations and do my bit before anyone has time to think.

What are official languages where isn't all that obvious all the time. Since different countries work with different criteria of what makes a language official.

Yeah exactly, for instance it surprised me that both Poland and Belgium were on the list. I didn't think that German was an official language in Belgium at all, so it made me wonder whether some region of Belgium had it as an official language or something.. or maybe if they had some sort of a secondary list of official languages that were official but "not as official" as the main languages? I wasn't sure but I knew with 98% certainty that Poland only had one official federal language. So i remained suspicious of Belgium, but I was pretty sure Poland was the right answer.

Neither the United Kingdom nor the United States, I believe.

(England itself is not a country. :p)

With the news that Michael K. Williams is poised to join the Han Solo Star Wars spinoff, I was moved to rewatch one of my favorite scenes of television. Wendell Pierce ftw. NSFW language.

Link to video.

So you're Takhisis?
oh my god you're right
Hey, don't throw about compliments of such calibre so recklessly.
Neither the United Kingdom nor the United States, I believe.
Nyet!
Arakhor said:
(England itself is not a country. :p)
It's a country, but it's not a nation-state. Until May manages to alienate the Scottish government and everybody up north realises that ‘stay in the UK to stay in the EU’ and ‘don't leave a union that is larger than you because that's risky’ are no longer valid arguments.

:/

Notice my use of the words ‘such calibre’ and ‘recklessly’.

I mostly think of "such calibre" and similar as being like large in scale, while that isn't neccesary the closer I look at it

guess I might've been wrong on that account

I am as deprecative of myself as of others, Lohr. In this case, yes, I was being careful to use subtly contradictory language.

I depricate others like myself too, but I ususally don't say what I think because I can be rather mean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom