Random Thoughts XIV: Pizza, Pomegranate Juice, and Shreddies

The rise of the BBC? It's over 100 years old now!

they're so overpowering, and even the milder ones evoke almost a gag reflex. It's disappointing since fruit pies are ubiquitous in most cultures. It feels like I'm missing out. I try every few years but it's yet to click.

I'm actually almost due for another attempt.
I have this experience too, though not in as extreme a fashion as it sounds as though you do. Pumpkin pie, in my experience, is the least saccharine of the non-meat pies. I don't know if you've tried that one, but if you're due for another attempt, you could give pumpkin pie a try.

In my view, pie is fundamentally an excuse to eat pie-crust, which is delicious. So the less the pie-flavorings overwhelm the pie-crust flavor, the better.

fwimbw

In this 9 ladders of Konigsberg, where you are trying to reach the terrace, under which conditions would counting the dead-end-linked ladders be optimal? :)
(spoiler is just the route, not the answer to the question)
1710610257086.png

Spoiler :
1710610210836.png

In this 9 ladders of Konigsberg, where you are trying to reach the terrace, under which conditions would counting the dead-end-linked ladders be optimal? :)
(spoiler is just the route, not the answer to the question)
View attachment 686670
I'm not falling for that trick, K!
You might have succeeded with your little ruse if you had used 3 colours that are not those of the Lithuanian flag.
So, the optimal way is to helicopter in some Cuban advisors and replace those three rags with
Flag_of_Mozambique.svg.png

A door implies an opening, and a post implies a ruse ^^

But, @Comrade Ceasefire , I was wondering if in general you can find an optimization making use of the more set elements (needed minimal moves to the left and upwards). In this example, I have to assume it would be quicker to just use the trivial method of starting from the terrace, but if you had 1000 rooms/levels it would not.

Last edited:
A door implies an opening, and a post implies a ruse ^^

But, @Comrade Ceasefire , I was wondering if in general you can find an optimization making use of the more set elements (needed minimal moves to the left and upwards). In this example, I have to assume it would be quicker to just use the trivial method of starting from the terrace, but if you had 1000 rooms/levels it would not.
I remember the Konigsberg bridge problem from the "Discrete Maths" unit I did 40 years ago, but that's about all.
If the general case is similar to a travelling salesman problem, it might be NP and then there's no guaranteed optimization procedure except exhaustion.

It's a trick question. Why would you want to go outside when it's raining? Stay right where you are. You're in a nice, dry room, the room probably least likely to get wet from that hole in the ceiling.

Which, once the clouds clear, you should go fix, by the way.

Don't listen to Gori! Repairing the hole looks extremely risky based on the stats in the figure on the right.
It's safest to consider this as a purely academic problem.
Also, if you fix the hole where the rain gets in
It will stop your mind
From wanderin'.

deathladder.png
ladderinj.png

Last edited:
Aristotle's account of tragedy, in the Poetics, suggests that the most powerful tragic experience is aroused when a playwright properly manages two transformations: peripateia and anagnorisis. Peripateia is an irreversible change in the course of events, from good to bad. Anagnorisis is the change, in the tragic hero's mind, from ignorance to knowledge. The proper management of the action of the play, to maximize this tragic experience, is for the second to come after the first: for the main character to suddenly learn something (that could have helped) only after it cannot help any more. This is how a philosopher's mind approaches literature, but it's a powerful literary insight. (Has proved illuminating and valid to centuries of readers, I mean). And a psychological insight, I think. What could be a worse psychological state than knowing things are going bad, and being hopeless to change that?

The paradigmatic case is Oedipus, who learns that he has taken horrible actions (killing his father and having children with his mother) only after he can't do anything to reverse them. The maximally terrible situation to be in, according to Aristotle.

It came to mind that humanity is effectively in the circumstance of a tragic hero right now, regarding climate change.

We know that we have wrecked our planet, but that knowledge has only become certain after we have effectively done so and now can't do anything to fix it.

This came to me in part as a result of the "How Can we Cheer Up the English?" thread, but also a RL conversation about why Americans feel so miserable of late. We're all carrying, as a psychological burden, what Aristotle identified centuries ago as the maximally terrible situation to inhabit.

Last edited:
The best video games I have played were mods of already existing video games in my dreams.

Civ3 and Civ2 meshed together with new techs and resources. New victory options like world peace and utopia.

Heroes of might and magic 3 together with 4, new scenarios and music. Epic elf/druidic music!

So much stuff! If I had to code it and make it reality, it would take decades.

Ides of March.

That's a whole different problem. If only Big Julie had listened to Mrs. Caesar. She warned him not to go to the Forum:

(this is a very abbreviated version of the full-length skit by Wayne & Shuster)

Article on Arthur Erickson's architectural plans for Baghdad

It's a very good, meandering article that touches on a lot of stuff, like the exuberantly optimistic atmosphere of Saddam's Iraq, and the dreams and aspirations that died with the invasion.

Last edited:
Pretty impressive that there will be no representative of Russia (none allowed by the government here) in the festivities marking Greek Independence tomorrow. Russia sort of played a crucial role, helping Greece in that war.
Comically, on the other hand, there is representation of Turkey :lol:
The local government continues to be ridiculous.

1711252786126.png

Last edited:
Different time, different Russia.

Top Bottom