[RD] Random Vacation/Travel Pictures and Stories.

Cutlass

The Man Who Wasn't There.
So I can't muster the energy to do what @warpus does. But, since it looks like none of us are getting a vacation trip this year, I thought we could share interesting, pretty, or fun tidbits of our past travels. So we can vacation vicariously through the experiences of others.

Gros Morne Mountain, New Foundland.

Weird as it seems first glance, this is a long ways from anywhere, and it doesn't get enough traffic to justify the cost of a cleaning crew. So without a roof, the rain washes it clean.

I have enough pictures to do a whole China thread, but this seems simpler. Me at the Summer Palace in Beijing. You can see the Marble boat.
The Marble Boat (Chinese: ; pinyin: Shí Fǎng), also known as the Boat of Purity and Ease, is a lakeside pavilion on the grounds of the Summer Palace in Beijing, China.

Spoiler :
It was first erected in 1755 during the reign of the Qianlong Emperor.[1] The original pavilion was made from a base of large stone blocks which supported a wooden superstructure done in a traditional Chinese design.[1]

In 1860, during the Second Opium War, the pavilion was destroyed by Anglo-French forces.[1] It was restored in 1893 on order of Empress Dowager Cixi.[1] In this restoration, a new two-story superstructure was designed which incorporated elements of European architecture. Like its predecessor, the new superstructure is made out of wood but it was painted to imitate marble. On each "deck", there is a large mirror to reflect the waters of the lake and give an impression of total immersion in the aquatic environment. Imitation paddlewheels on each side of the pavilion makes it look like a paddle steamer.[1] The pavilion has a sophisticated drainage system which channels rain water through four hollow pillars. The water is finally released into the lake through the mouths of four dragonheads.

The boat design of the pavilion may relate to a quote attributed to Wei Zheng, a Tang dynasty chancellor. He is said to have told Emperor Taizong that "the waters that float the boat can also capsize it", implying that the people can not only support an emperor, but can also topple him.[2] With this in mind, the Qianlong Emperor might have chosen to construct the Marble Boat as an auspicious symbol of a stable reign.[2]

The Marble Boat is often seen as an ironic commentary on the fact that the money used to restore the Summer Palace largely came from funds originally earmarked for building up a new imperial navy.[3] The controller of the Admiralty, Prince Chun, owed much of his social standing as well as his appointment to Empress Dowager Cixi, who had adopted his eldest son, Zaitian, who was enthroned as the Guangxu Emperor. Because of this, he probably saw no other choice than to condone the embezzlement.

The pavilion is 36 metres (118 ft) long. It stands on the northwestern shore of Kunming Lake, near the western end of the Long Corridor.

IMG_1626.JPG

I installed a random file picker, and it's clunky but it works. The first couple ones were boring but then this one came up

This is in Vietnam, IIRC I biked to this beach from Hoi An and had lunch here, then this coffee

I would love to see some more photos from China, in whichever format is most appropriate and/or works best

Last edited:
I would love to see some more photos from China, in whichever format is most appropriate and/or works best
I'll post some tomorrow.

Gros Morne Mountain, New Foundland.

Weird as it seems first glance, this is a long ways from anywhere, and it doesn't get enough traffic to justify the cost of a cleaning crew. So without a roof, the rain washes it clean.
It is gross, and I am mourning, so I cannot fault them on that count.

What is the best/easiest way to post videos here?

.mov files

Upload to YouTube as an unlisted video. It will embed here and random people can't search it.
Do I need an account or something to do that?

Do I need an account or something to do that?
Yes; but chances are, if you have a Gmail/Google account, it got caught in the combining of accounts years and years and years ago when Google tried to merge everything under its umbrella into a single account. That's no longer the case, IIRC, so you could probably make a throwaway account if need be.

Alternatively, convert the .mov to an .mp4 or .webm and then upload to Imgur.

https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/art...at-files-can-I-upload-What-is-the-size-limit-

But what will my children say if they find out I am uploading videos to to the web?

Nine Dragon Wall

Link to video.

The Nine Dragon Wall 九龙壁 (Jiǔ Lóng Bì) is a relatively recent addition to the Forbidden City. The wall was built in 1773 as a part of a large renovation of the northeastern section of the palace to create a retirement villa for Emperor Qianlong (1735-1796). The wall is located east of the Outer Court and the Hall of Preserving Harmony 保和殿 (Bǎo Hé Diàn).

The Nine Dragon Screen, or Wall, was built to provide privacy by blocking the view through the Gate of Imperial Supremacy (Huangji men) into the Palace of Tranquil Longevity (Ningshou gong). The screen is 96.5 feet long and 11.5 feet tall. Such walls also denied access to evil spirits, which must travel in straight lines. If you place a wall in front of a gate or main entrance to a home you answer both needs.

The Nine Dragon Screen was inspired by one that can be seen in Beihai Park, to the north of the Forbidden City. The dragon is the symbol of power, but is also symbolic of luck, prayers for rain, a god to control floods, and in some cases, is symbolic of longevity.

Notice that the dragons are swimming in the ocean waves. The Chinese dragon does not breathe fire and kidnap maidens. The Chinese dragon is a benevolent creature that saved mankind from drought by making it rain. The dragon also has the power to calm waters, so when a river floods, a dragon is called upon to dispel the waters.

Last edited:
It is gross, and I am mourning, so I cannot fault them on that count.
According to Wikipedia:
Its French meaning is "large mountain standing alone," or more literally "great sombre."
"Gros" usually means "big" or "large." But I will agree that the outhouse in the photo is unappealing.

But what will my children say if they find out I am uploading videos to to the web?
Unless you have questionable viewing or filming habits, they would probably think it's cool (or however your kids express approval). As long as you respect the privacy of people who might not want to be included, it should all be good.

I have a lot of pictures taken over the past decade of places around Pembrokeshire, except I don't know where to upload the pictures.
Just wander over to Pembrokeshire and post them from there.
But don't use any of these excuses if caught...

Among the excuses given to Gwent Police officers were:
"My son is a rubbish cook so I take him food every day"
"I've just been to feed the fish"
"I've been to buy nail clippers for the dog"
"I've bought a new catapult and wanted to try it out"
"I don't watch the news - what's going on?"
"I'm taking my mate into Newport to buy drugs"
"I am taking my quad bike for a walk and I promise I am not going ride it around a field"
"I thought I heard someone may be in trouble, so I came to have a look but I don't know their name or remember the person who told me it".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-52386123

Berlin, April 2019.
Excuse me, fraulein, would a fӧrk be out of the question?
macktheknife.png

I have a lot of pictures taken over the past decade of places around Pembrokeshire, except I don't know where to upload the pictures.
Drag them a couple at a time into a thread here.

My vacations past 2 years have done a notably bad at spotting wildlife. But cruising up the west coast of Newfoundland, I spotted this guy on the side of the road, and as a screeched to a halt, he stuck around for a couple of pics before flying off.

IMG_2716.JPG

Top Bottom