Ray's assorted collection of small improvements [IMPLEMENTED]

Nice.

Will the increased domestic demand cause unhappiness if not fulfilled?
(Storage space in colonies as well as transportation slots in ships and wagons are limited and demand may include a huge number of different goods.)

Will the increased domestic demand cause unhappiness if not fulfilled?
It works the other way around:
The more existing Domestic Demands you fulfill, the more Happiness you generate.

There needs to be Demands first, so you can fulfill them.
The more of them you fulfill, the happier your people will be.

However, if you do not succeed fulfilling some of them, there is no Unhappiness created.
So at most, you may need to produce a bit more of your goods to fulfill the demands.

It is a "Reward Design Pattern" by purpose, not a "Punish Design Pattern".
Thus there is nothing to be worried about - even if the demands to be fulfilled are a bit higher.

Summary:
It is a chance to get happy, not a risk to become unhappy.

----

The main aspect of this change:
Units used as Garrison troops are not "wasted" considering Domestic Demand.
Thus you can simply make a bit more money.

Added a bit more info into Colopedia of Bonus Ressources.
(I sometimes add visualization like this to Pedia, because it helps me to better check balancing.)

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    321.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 72
I added a new Goody Event for a "Failed Missionary".
(You can get it both on Maps and in Villages.)

It is kind of inspired by the movie "Black Robe" which I saw just a few weeks ago.
(It is actually a very good movie to learn more about the first steps of Colonization in North America.)

Don`t worry, this is actually pretty rare.
(It took me 20 tries to trigger it once.)

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

Last edited:
I implemented a small new "3rd Colony Event" to help the Player get started a bit. :)
(It also requires to have saved 500 gold.)

Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG

Another small tiny improvement. :)

I added an "Overflow Icon" to the City Billboard.
(Meaning the Icon will appear if storage in City is full.)

Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG

Hi guys, after watching a "Let´s Play" of WTP yesterday, I realized that there was an immersion issue:
Dragoon (Profession) could speak to Chief but a Ranger (Unit) could not.

I now corrected this. :)

-----

These Units are now also allowed to speak to Chiefs:
(Bascially all "Human" looking Units are now.)

• Rangers
  • Native Mecenaries
  • Conquistadores
  • Slave Masters
  • Slave Hunters
  • Militia

The only Units that are still not allowed to speak to Chiefs:
(Basically all Units that are "kind of" mechanical or animals in case you get one by Event)

• Ships
  • Land Transports
  • Treasures
  • Animals

Before:
(Ranger cannot speak to Chief.)

Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG

Now:
(Ranger can speak to Chief.)

Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG

Last edited:
great) and I always thought it was a feature)))
It was Civ4Col Vanilla code that prevented e.g. Rangers and Native Mercenaries to speak to Chiefs.
(We had not implemented that on purpose.)

-----

However for gameplay reasons I implemented that Treasures, Wagon Trains or Ships are still not able to speak to Chiefs.
(Especially with Treasures it would feels strange to me or even almost like an exploit - also their AI is not designed for it.)

-----

Well, I feel it is a small good improvement. :dunno:
(I hope that nobody disagrees.)

Last edited:
Ships are still not able to speak to Chiefs.
Hi Ray ... FWIW I think ships should be able to do this as they have captains. e.g. Captain Cook ;) If not, would it be possible for ships with a Capable Captain or an Admiral to be able to talk to chiefs?

Do not be tempted to make an event where the Captain gets killed talking to the chief :D

FWIW I think ships should be able to do this as they have captains. e.g. Captain Cook
1) Effort / AI: Quite a lot of effort to teach this to AIs of Ships, because if we allow it to Human then AI should also use it.
2) Gameplay: On small island Maps you would not need any Scouts at alle anymore. It feels like an exploit.
3) Immersion: Having an empty Ship (e.g. a Sloop) sail the complete map and speak to all Natives, does not feel immersive to me.

-----

I rather leave it like it is right now. :dunno:
I like that "Human looking" Units are needed to talk to Chiefs.

1) Effort / AI: Quite a lot of effort to teach this to AIs of Ships, because if we allow it to Human then AI should also use it.
Yeah, I guess that would be hard. Is all of the logic for that in "Project Files\DLLSources\CvPlayerAI.cpp" or is it spread around?
2) Gameplay: On small island Maps you would not need any Scouts at alle anymore. It feels like an exploit.
3) Immersion: Having an empty Ship (e.g. a Sloop) sail the complete map and speak to all Natives, does not feel immersive to me.
I see it form the other side. For me Captain Cook and Columbus are famous for meeting with coastal tribes and not being able to do that breaks my immersion.

The thing about immersion is there is no right or wrong, just what you like :)

I see it's in "Project Files\DLLSources\CvUnitAI.cpp" I might poke around, probably won't come to anything.

Hi guys,

I have made 2 changes to GameSpeedsÍnfos.

1) Game Length and Time to Independence Wars has been increased by 50%. (Relevant for AI and Score Victory)
2) The months per turn of each GameSpeed stays constant * <--- This basically reverts back to Vanilla (from TAC), because it is more logic. (read below)

-----------------------------------------------------

So e.g. in

GameSpeed Normal:

Game will take 300 turns instead of 200 as before. **
Thus AI will normally start aiming for Independence after about 150 turns if it is strong enough.
Months per turn in Normal is now constantly 12. (1 turn = 1 year)

GameSpeed Marathon:
Game will take 900 turns instead of 600 as before **
Thus AI will normally start aiming for Independence after about 450 turns if it is strong enough.
Months per turn in Marathon is now constantly 4 months per turn.

** The new end year would be 1792, which matches relatively well historic reality of 1775 - 1783.
(Before the change game would be over way before the historical date of WOI.)

-----------------------------------------------------

* There is no sudden "time is flowing faster" effect anymore, which caused strange immersion effects considering time (in months) like:

1) Trip to Europe being 4 times faster in endgame than in early game (relative to the months it takes)
2) Units moving 4 times faster in endgame than in early game (relative to the months it takes)
3) Workers being 4 times more productive in endgame than in early game (relative to the months it takes)

Thus calculating turns / years is now also a lot easier and consistent.

Last edited:
The "Statue of Governor" has now become an actual Building with purpose that can realistically be built / finished.
(It used to be just a "placehoder" for the Building Queue requiring 10000 hammers thus realistically almost never be finished.)

It is still a late game Building with quite high pre-requirements of other Buildings (and relatively high costs).
But still its Bonusses to Happiness and Culture make it worth building - especially if your high-end City is struggling with Happiness.

Comment:
We have so many Buildings right now that "placeholders" for the Building Queue are really not required anymore.
It was kind of a waste in gameplay and effort to have a Building that would never really be used in gameplay.

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

Top Bottom