RB15: Taking The Long View

T0- Whip Library in Boston. Reduce science from 90% at -9 to 80% at -3. Engineering in 13 as opposed to 12.There is a barb city on the East coast. I don't like th location so it will probably be razed, but we will see.

T1- Washington Colusseum -Axeman
Boston Library -Colesseum

T2-Move some workers

T3-zzzz

T4- Washington Axeman- Settler

T5- Taoism FIDAL

T6- Whip Forge in New york, this is a low shield city I only whipped this b/c it was half completed, but the priority for this city needs to be expanding the borders. Start a library or colesseum next. We now have a woodsman promoted Axe in the woods next to the barb city, this will prevent it from growing and thus it will autoraze and never be difficult to take. Depending on how the other civs are spread out we may want to push expansion on this continent or soon find colonies of other civs on our landmass.

T7- There is one forest in Boston's radius, since this does not provide any health benefit and the city has plenty of shields I am goin to chop this forest to aid the colesseum.

T8- Sistine Chapel BIDAL

T9- Philly will grow in 5 at that time you may want to whip the Colosseum

T10- So Chicago was building a forge when I started, I left this even though it really needs a border expansion, you can just let it grow to unhappiness and then whip. Or you can shift the tiles around i have it on max food right now. Well Take a look at chicago.

Consider settling to the east first. The land in the east is better and it looks like there is actually more than just one island over there. The lands in the west are not as good. Settle that eastern crab, clam, copper spot first. Then in the north the Wine, cows is a good spot or the pigs, flood plains spot in the west, your choice but the crab, clam, copper should be next our cities that are not on fresh water are already reaching the health limits (not to mention happiness) so that clam crab spot would be nice.

Enjoy guys!!!!!

Attachments

• RB 15 Barb City.JPG
    RB 15 Barb City.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 353
Right then, I'll get this tomorrow. As much expansion as our economy can take and steady as she goes on increasing science, I guess.

Garath

Yeah, I mean, there is not a heck of alot else we can do. Expand when possible, farm til cities are maxed on Pop. then switch over to cottages. Research Research Research, there are a few things that are going to make this an especially tough variant. Only military victory (when I suspect we will always have obsolete units), no tech trading, and the largest disadvantage IMHO is that we are alone. Being alone has three significant costs-

1. While tech cost reduction is not as steep as it was in Civ3 it still exists and would be very helpful in times like right now when we are researching techs that most of the AI already have, but we just have not met them yet. This point is especially salient since the AI's won't be able to trade tech, but will get discounted b/c they will meet each other sooner than they will be us (all things being equal that is).

2. On a pangea or shared contients map we could have rushed the AI since we were definately one of the first civs to copper/iron or presumably to gunpowder. And/or we could have overwhelmed somebody with inferior units at certain points. This point is especially salient when our only available victory options (due to our tech path) are military.

3. Not knowing the AI's prevents us from sowing dissent into their ranks (although this is would be very difficult since normally you have to give them a tech to go to war and we have no tech trading enabled) and thus slowing them down.

So how can we counter these disadvantages....Cottages, Cottages, Cottages. Did I mention Research, Research, Research? ;)

But really this is all speculation, when we meet the AI's they could be terribly behind and primative.... or they could look something like :borg:

Atlas

We can always build a workboat and send it around the world, but since I couldn't fine any real good reason to meet people. (the only good thing would be to have someone send missionary to us, but we can't build temple so..).

Jabah

YES!

Jabah this is a great idea. We NEED to do this! I completely forgot about workboats. I wish I had done this on my turn :blush: . Even if we can't build temples making a religion a state religion gives one happy. Plus we can use religion to manipulate the AI. We need to know them so we can manipulate them! And to figure out just how far behind we are.

First off, Engineering is due in 2. Then it's a quick sweep through the Mysticism/Meditation/Priesthood line and straight into Monarchy. Oh Monarchy, how we love you! We'll get Hereditary Rule and Winerys! All of a sudden our happiness woes will be *massively* reduced! We won't hit it on my round, but Jabah will get to start the cities growing again at last.

Other objectives: Settle the city, by Clam/Crab/Copper. Hope to get another in production for the Clam/Dyes.
Get the last BarbWatch unit out.
Kill the barbarian city, so as to get funds to keep research up. That's in progress.
Get a work boat out. We might as well check whether the islands we can see are just tiny things, even if we can't actually settle them. This could be tricky, actually, we don't exactly have many coastal cities.

Turn 2 (540): Engineering -> Mysticism.
Atlanta finishes Library for border expansion, starts Warrior for BarbWatch.

Turn 3 (560): Mysticism -> Meditation.
Somebody got Archimedes last turn and built Chichen with him this turn. Not that we were going to get it. It's about the only track we have on where the AIs are tech-wise, though.

Turn 4 (580): Meditation -> Priesthood.
Philly grows into unhappiness, so I :whipped: the Colosseum. That should be its last before more happiness comes in.

Turn 5 (600): Priesthood -> Monarchy (due in 5, at the end of my round).
I set Philly to build that Work Boat.

The first turn of the siege of Scythian unfortunately does not go as well as I had expected. We lose two axes to kill only one of their archers.

Turn 6 (620): Thankfully the archer hasn't promoted, so since we have...

I 532 the place, since it doesn't appear to fit with our dotmap. I leave the axe on the hill the city was on to prevent a repeat performance.

Turn 9 (680): Settle Seattle in the good spot in the NE. It starts an Obelisk for quick expansion to work the seafood.

Lookit!

I guess that archipelago must connect at least some landmasses after all. We can beeline the Work Boat there, it'll be produced next turn. I take peace with him. We currently know pretty much nothing whatsoever about him except that he must have Currency, and he's about to settle on our continent, the goit. :mad:

Turn 10 (700): Philly Work Boat -> Granary.
Monarchy comes in and I send us straight into Anarchy for Hereditary Rule, and set three workers immediately onto the Wines, to complete in 2 turns.

Mao does *not* land his units onto our land immediately, but he probably will in the future. We need to get some more settlers out. There are a couple of axes in production that can be followed with them, I think.

Lastly, I've just noticed this. Don't know how long it's been there.

(there's a barb city up on the end of the northwestern promontory. Silly screenshots)

On the graphs, we're thrashing Mao on GDP, and losing fairly badly on Productivity, with the rest being fairly even. In fact, the demographics say we're leading the world on GNP fairly significantly, :goodjob:

Our upcoming tech strategy is the another deep dig into the tree. Feudalism -> Guilds -> Gunpowder -> Chemistry. Could get a bit slow again before we get to go back and pick up Currency afterwards.

I'm done.

Garath

Looks good, barb cities on hills (or any cities with archers) are tough. Axeman just don't do them well. Good Work. Those weren't two axeman lost that was two axemen that were laid off;) . Thank God Mao is not :borg:, however his assimilation of our lands is strictly verbotten:nono:. If I had any confidence in Mao choosing a good site I would not worry about it. I don't see much chance of keeping him off our lands, so the :hammer: will have to wait.

*tips his hat to Sirian*
That one, along with so many others, is going to be remembered. You do seem to have this tendency to do that...

I wouldn't be too worried about Mao landing. He probably won't do it till he's finished scouting, and it'll probably be at a site that isn't as good for us anyway. Besides which, we'll easily be able to kick him off again when we want to. One city is hardly a threat. It's not really clear how :borg: Mao is, though. We can't see his tech, only knowing he has Currency by the ability to trade gold that shows up in the trade screen.

Garath

T0 - 700AD
The chinese galley is empty, can't see the settler-archer pair (in fact it is hidden under our troops, sneaky Mao).

T3 - 760AD
Washington ->Aqueduct (->Hanging garden)

T4 - 780AD
The chinese disappeared again. (in fact they again hide under our troops)

T5 - 800AD
China settle in a stupid place.
We will have to remove them soon.

T7 - 840AD
Declare war on China and move 4 axes next to Chengdu.

T8 - 860AD
Our first Axe (City raider1) has 20% chance but wins anyway (and without a scratch), good job

T9 - 880AD
Hanging Gardens BiDaL unfortunatly.

T10 - 900AD
Found the chinese borders on the East, behind small (desert) archipelago.

The Idea is to get the 2 cities on the East Coast ASAP, then make peace with China (because we can't have a navy to defend our shore) without open border.
We need a few more workers.
We can get the next 2 cities, they will help with finance, because we are paying 3gpt for troops and another 3gpt for troops outside borders.

Jabah

Spoiler :

----------------------------New entries----------------------------
Turn 145 (700 AD)

Turn 146 (720 AD)
Washington grows: 7
Chicago grows: 6

Turn 147 (740 AD)
Washington finishes: Axeman

Turn 148 (760 AD)
Washington begins: Aqueduct
New York grows: 5
Boston finishes: Axeman
Philadelphia grows: 4
Warrior defeats (2.00/2): Barbarian Warrior

Turn 149 (780 AD)
Boston begins: Axeman
New York finishes: Library
Boston grows: 7

Turn 150 (800 AD)
New York begins: Work Boat
Boston begins: Settler

Turn 151 (820 AD)
Atlanta grows: 6

Turn 152 (840 AD)
Axeman promoted: City Raider I
Axeman promoted: City Raider I
New York grows: 4

Turn 153 (860 AD)
Axeman defeats (5.00/5): Chinese Archer
Razed Chengdu

Turn 154 (880 AD)
Washington finishes: Aqueduct
New York's borders expand
Philadelphia's borders expand

Turn 155 (900 AD)
Washington begins: Worker
Washington begins: Axeman
Washington begins: Settler

I got it and will play/post tonight.

Atlas

T0-Change Nothing

T1-Atlanta to build oblisk so it can grow one more pop. point.

T2-Feudalism finishes-Guilds in 16. Chicago Forge finishs starts library

T3-zzz

T4- 980AD Great Library BIDAL

T5- Settle San Fran.

T6- Mao has 5 cities Hangzhou is his sixth

T7- Moving some units in place. Founding the next city in the east is a bit tricky on the placement. I think I like the river, since HR give extra happy, but nothing will give us extra health.

T8- Hangzhou destroyed. That archer upgraded to longbow, two axes lost, the third wins. It autorazed.

T9- zzz

T10- So I just shifted some workers around kept building, trying to keep some cities on infra (aqueducts) and some on military. We should be allright with a few axes in the east to stop any landings. Mao will talk, I would not worry about it until he starts landing Macemen to something scary. There is still a settler, with a tricky decision to be made- Either take extra health in the two cities that we have room for in the east by settling on the river and accepting some overlap or settle of the river on one of them with no overlap. I opt for the extra health, since I think that 7 is about the pop limit for both health and happy limits. Good luck!! Don't pay Mao anything for peace unless he really lands something dangerous, maybe make another work boat for exploration.

Here is the save!

Attachments

• RB 15 San Fran.JPG
    RB 15 San Fran.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 247
  • RB 15 Hangzhou razed.JPG
    RB 15 Hangzhou razed.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 213
  • RB 15 Chinese Lands.JPG
    RB 15 Chinese Lands.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 179
  • RB 15 Amer. Lands.JPG
    RB 15 Amer. Lands.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 231
so, this'll be tomorrow, then.

Sorry guys. Just because this is my SG is no excuse to be lax with Got It posts. I'll be more thorough in future. And I'll play this tomorrow.

Garath

Turn 1 (1060): Washington Axe -> Settler to cover the last east coast spot. We have plenty of military at the moment, so I probably won't be building much more on my round. If there's anything *else* to build, that is... :crazyeye:

Turn 2 (1070): Los Angeles founded out on the point of the east, on fresh water. Set to a Granary, since there's no great rush for it to do anything else. It only costs us 2gpt, which shouldn't take long to recoup at all. Since we're still paying unit costs, the next city also shouldn't be too bad.

Now, it would be lovely to connect these dyes that we founded a city by recently right around now, right? Such a pity our tech path won't take us through either Iron Working or Calendar for ages yet! :crazyeye: Wild and Wacky Variant Land has its moments, that's for sure.

Turn 5 (1100AD): We meet Louis of the French! He has 7 cities including his capital, is fairly neutral towards Mao, has no religion either :)() and has these techs:

(It would appear that shots of tech screens that I take don't come out. He has, visible, the obvious, basically. Sailing, Animal Husbandry, Hunting, Alphabet, Currency, Iron Working.)

Unfortunately it isn't really possible to determine how :borg: he is, since we don't know how far down the lines of tech after the first ones we can't see he is. He'd take Open Borders if we offered it, but I see no great reason to until we actually want to travel through his lands.

Turn 7 (1120): Washington Settler -> Worker. Boston -> Hagia Sophia, since we really are running out of things to build and that will give us a cash boost if nothing else. Remember, we don't have the option of Wealth yet, and never will have Research. There are a few forests outside the city's radius you can chop if you want to actually complete the thing, though.

Guilds -> Gunpowder. Might take a little while to research, but if it were actually possible to attack anyone, the Musketmen would be pretty powerful at this time in the game. Pity we can't cross the water yet, really...

Turn 9 (1140): Mao drops in a Sword and Spear pair, and brings in another Galley. Since we have no way to stop those marauding otherwise, I beat up the two units and then sign peace, getting all of his 50g and 2gpt in the process! Not too bad, really.

I found Houston, the last city in the East. We'll have to drop science again very soon as a result. I recommend cottaging all the tiles around Houston, and fairly soon. Farm one if you feel like getting faster growth, but it's hardly entirely necessary. We need more science output, though, and that's the sort of thing we need to get it, especially before we get Sailing for Lighthouses.

In aid of continued scouting with the Work Boat, I sign Open Borders with Louis.

There are a couple of things finishing next turn. I recommend using the worker about to finish in Washington to put up some more Cottages there, and allowing the city to grow some more. Quite what there is left for it to build, I'm not sure. More MPs would be nice, but we're over the soft unit limit already, so keep a close eye on what you build.

The demographics currently suggest that we're doing a bit better than Louis in real terms, despite the score differential, and that either one of the unmet AIs out there is in a Golden Age or are Financial and *really* abusing it. Either way, nothing we can do about it yet. Just keep building those cottages. It worked in RB9, after all!

Garath

Top Bottom