RB2 - Clueless Catherine Conquers Crowded Continents

A shame about that savegame screwup by Firaxis :(. Hope that gets sorted out soon.

I have the standard edition, so I'll gladly join you.

I think you are going to find once you've built a big enough force to take one AI (i.e. two units), you'll want to keep going. Maybe you should retroactively make this a no settler challenge ;).

Darrell

Over in LotR28 Gyathaar wrote a tool to convert a deluxe save into one readable by a regular edition C5.

Attached is a save file I created with this tool. If someone with regular edition can confirm that it works, then I can rejoin this game :D.

EDIT: You are correct, SillyGoat :p It is in fact landlocked.

Attachments

• Test_Deluxe_converted.Civ5Save
    405.9 KB · Views: 67
Then in that case, Commander Aretii reporting for duty.

I can pick up a save whenever in this rotation.

Let's not have the quirks of Firaxis push you to the bottom of the turn list. You were up next and I haven't touched the save yet, so give it a go and welcome back aboard! :goodjob:

I would like to begin by qualifying my turns played - I played the first ten before any of the save compatibility nonsense came up, and as such I did not see the discussion in this thread. Even if I had, I do not think I would have modified my play much - I think a second city is what we want now, before the AIs sweep it all up.

On the interturn, Bismarck came to us, asking for a Pact of Cooperation, which I accepted.

Moscow's expansion went to the horses, so I purchased the cows. Our worker improved the cow first - while the horses are a better tile than cows natively, improving gives them each +1h, and since the workers were closer to the cows, that was the right choice. It would have been best if we'd bought the horses from the moment we had the cash, but there would have been some chance (I think) that we'd have expanded to the sugar, and that clearly would have been terrible. After finishing the cows, the worker moved of course to the horses.

We met Lhasa, due south of Helsinki, and Dublin, the city-state hidden in the fog whose borders we could see.

Upon discovering Calendar, I put our research on Mining, with the intent of going to Bronze Working. We're going to need that line of techs sooner or later, and with war on the horizon, having Kreposts and spears available sounds good to me. I bought Honor as our first policy, as Discipline is extremely good.

Montezuma's borders were sighted - he is due south of Washington. In fact, he came to us asking for a Pact of Secrecy against Washington, which I declined. I am inclined to think in hindsight that this was the wrong choice. Pacts of Secrecy make the AI hate the target more, and Monty fighting an early war against Washington is what we want. It may yet happen, though; our continent is pretty tight for space!

We made contact with Hiawatha just outside of German territory. The Germans are far south and west of Dublin, with a huge amount of empty space around them. They have beautiful land! I wish we'd spawned in Berlin's spot - you'll see. Rome has nice land too, they're a bit northeast of Germany and have room for first-ring cities in all directions.

On turn 10, we finish the settler and begin Stonehenge. After much deliberation, I decided to send the settler west, because Suleiman is our probable first target, having as he does two non-overlapping luxury resources, and I'd like a staging area for our assault on Istanbul (not Constantinople). The southern land, near Washington, is good too, but it's far more cramped unless you go even further south, upon which point we're talking something that's completely indefensible.

Due south of Rome, we meet Venice, another Maritime city-state! :dance: Unfortunately, because of the placement of Rome and Berlin, it is probably impossible to see the south of the continent without tresspassing on their lands (haven't quite fogbusted enough around Berlin to know that for a fact). I decide to take the slight influence hit and end turn in their territory. On the same turn, we found St. Petersburg, where I manually assign a citizen to the 2/2/0 horses in its first ring while building a Warrior. On the interturn, Suleiman calls us up to complain about its location. I give him the polite wave-off while secretly plotting his demise :mischief:.

Converted save attached, screenshots and some analysis in the next post.

Attachments

• RB2_2600BC_converted.Civ5Save
    512.7 KB · Views: 109
Here's the north:

South:

And the southwest peninsula:

Inside of Moscow:

And St. Petersburg:

Worker will finish pasturing the horses this turn. Next turn, given that we're at +3 happy, the worker should head over to our Sugar and begin plantationing that. It will cost 55g to buy the tile, but I think it's well worth it to not have to slow our growth - we're not getting any more good cities, so we need to not compromise the ones we've got! The AIs do not have any luxuries hooked up yet, but keep an eye out for our friend in Beijing - she has double whales, and so may well trade them to us at some point. After the sugar plantation, it's a tossup as to whether to go to St. Pete and help out there or to farm the desert hill in Moscow.

After BW, I think our research should go into The Wheel, in preparation for Horseback Riding, and also because Chariot Archers are quite useful to us at this stage. St. Pete is only three tiles of road away from Moscow, too, and a trade route would be quite nice for our coffers.

Stonehenge should finish during the latter part of the next turnset, as we're due to grow in a couple of turns. After it's done, I think either a Spearman or a second Worker is in order. St. Pete might want a Monument after the Warrior. I was considering founding it on the coast, but I decided to put it closer to the good tiles (cow/horse), and also figured that without any sea resources, a coastal placement just wasn't worth it.

And that's the way it is.

Roster:
Kylearan
Aretii -> just played
SleepingMoogle -> UP
SpazzMaticus -> on deck
Gold Ergo Sum
MuLepton

Attachments

• north.jpg
    north.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 1,317
  • thesouth.jpg
    thesouth.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 1,311
  • southwest.jpg
    southwest.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 1,315
  • insidemoscow.jpg
    insidemoscow.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 1,310
  • insidespete.jpg
    insidespete.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 1,290
Nice, I was wondering when we were going to push this thing along.

I think I would've preferred to continue to hold off on expansion and take the A.I. cities along the way just to keep our social policy cost down, but having one more city shouldn't slow that down too much.

I haven't spent too much time really debating on the optimal distance for city placement. I definitely seems to me that settling six tiles apart, to allow for full 3-ring cities is not worth it, because what city in this game is ever going to work all 36 available tiles in its rings? So optimal is probably just far enough apart to work a full 2-rings, which is 18 tiles plus the city tile. That just instinctively feels right, because you can always run some scientists. Any thoughts? Obviously some of it will be situational. But there is a far less obvious "one right way" for city placement than the BFC dictated.

What did you end up doing about the barb camp near Dublin?

Is there a thread somewhere detailing what all the diplo pacts do? Because I am still in the dark on that.

Damn is this continent ever huge and crowded (at least at our end :( )

What did you end up doing about the barb camp near Dublin?

Ah, thanks for reminding me. After contacting Dublin and determining that it did not have a hit out, I moved toward the barbs. They attacked out and suicided against the spearman, whereupon an Iroquois scout swooped in and sacked the camp before I could.

Sorry guys, I will have to drop out of this game.
After a few playthroughs I don't find civ 5 enjoyable. I won't be playing it until some major tweaks/patches are done.

Good luck with dominating those crowded continents :)

Thanks Aretii. :) I'll pick up and have a look at the save tonight, but probably won't be able to actually play the turns until tomorrow.

Sorry to hear Civ 5 isn't living up to its promise for you Spazzmaticus. :-/ Are you certain a variant like this Succession game would peak your interest or anything?

We could swap places this round if you want Moogle. I can get the turns played tonight and post the save. My Civ V seemed to load OK after the update.

Top Bottom